Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

i got a rb26det

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:50 AM
phatmatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got a rb26det

i got a rb26det and i want to install it in my 350z but i need to get new motor mounts i was wondering if anybody knows where i can get them already made or do i have to custom make them also does anybody know how big a tire and rim i can get on the back end i was hoping for 18 by 10 or to fit 305
Old 12-28-2005, 12:57 AM
ARLETOS 350Z

AAAA dont run an oldschool engine on a Z33,not good for the future of the vq35,the inline rb/sr are dead face it.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Vamos_Rafael

the RB26DET is a tuning monster
i dont understand the post above lol...
VQ35 isnt as strong and easy to tune as that RB
Old 12-28-2005, 06:53 AM
theking

You will need custom mounts since no one makes them right now. An 18x10 will fit no problem and you can get a 305 on there. The RB26 is a great motor with a closed deck design and iron block. People know that engine will never go out of style.
Originally Posted by phatmatt
i got a rb26det and i want to install it in my 350z but i need to get new motor mounts i was wondering if anybody knows where i can get them already made or do i have to custom make them also does anybody know how big a tire and rim i can get on the back end i was hoping for 18 by 10 or to fit 305
Old 12-28-2005, 08:57 AM
CLETUS

uuhhhhhhhhhhhh i dont know what the hell the first poster is thinkin, probly jealous........
the mounts will have to be fabricated, do you have a tranny with the motor?
also a custom length driveshaft will be needed. i have seen a few pics of this swap before and it seems to be the best for building a high hp monster, the only problem is the motor/tranny isn't cheap, there arent that many to begin with and they are no longer made. if i could get my hands on one and could afford hte down time of the swap on the z i would do it. inline 6's are the shizzle
Old 12-28-2005, 09:26 AM
phatmatt

Default up dates

Originally Posted by CLETUS
uuhhhhhhhhhhhh i dont know what the hell the first poster is thinkin, probly jealous........
the mounts will have to be fabricated, do you have a tranny with the motor?
also a custom length driveshaft will be needed. i have seen a few pics of this swap before and it seems to be the best for building a high hp monster, the only problem is the motor/tranny isn't cheap, there arent that many to begin with and they are no longer made. if i could get my hands on one and could afford hte down time of the swap on the z i would do it. inline 6's are the shizzle
thanks for the info i am using a rb25 tranny to just make it rear wheel drive the engine itself was pretty cheap i have friends in japan the drive shaft is only 350 dollars to make and its a dam good drive shaft
Old 12-28-2005, 09:29 AM
phatmatt

Default thanks

Originally Posted by theking
You will need custom mounts since no one makes them right now. An 18x10 will fit no problem and you can get a 305 on there. The RB26 is a great motor with a closed deck design and iron block. People know that engine will never go out of style.
thanks i was about to take off my tire and measure
Old 12-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Luis_23

I was wondering who was the first guy to do that in their Z33.....well good luck on the install playa.....
Old 12-28-2005, 09:37 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youre gonna need a lot more than motor mounts to make it work. good luck with it. i would recommend taking it to a good shop. and expect it to be several months and 10's of thousands of dollars before you get it back.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:39 AM
pope

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
Youre gonna need a lot more than motor mounts to make it work. good luck with it. i would recommend taking it to a good shop. and expect it to be several months and 10's of thousands of dollars before you get it back.

10's of thousands??? dont you think you are exaggerating a little.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:46 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Originally Posted by pope_usaf
10's of thousands??? dont you think you are exaggerating a little.
not in the least.

factor in all of the custom fabrication involved, cutting the firewall, rewiring the electrical system, custom driveshaft, tranny mounts, and tuning. not to mention custom exhaust/adaptor new radiator (possibly use stock one), fuel system to support it in stock form (return style).

all of this will take many many many hours of a mechanics time @70-80 and hour. even if it "only" takes 70 hrs or so thats ~5600 in labor alone. and thats for a "stock" rb26 without any additional parts. dont forget to factor in the cost of the rb26, they go for a few thousand dollars.

this has been attempted a few times. one met with complete failure when the owner ran out of money once the tab hit 30k.

oh lets not forget, his intercooler and piping. right there is more than a grand, custom bent i/c pipes go for about 400, a good i/c is about 1k.

Last edited by PoWeRtRiP; 12-28-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:55 AM
phatmatt

i have a master welder on hand hes good and my freind will be helping to install the engine he one of the best engine and car experts i know so i am not sending it to shop my freinds garage can swallow my house if every thing go's to plan total price hopefully would be around 3900 dollars thats getting it in and runing stock for now
Old 12-28-2005, 09:58 AM
PoWeRtRiP

i have a master welder on hand hes good and my freind will be helping to install the engine he one of the best engine and car experts i know so i am not sending it to shop my freinds garage can swallow my house if every thing go's to plan total price hopefully would be around 3900 dollars thats getting it in and runing stock for now
good luck. if you could, would you document the install? we could really use a nicely written faq on this board about this. it seems like every other day we get the "im gonna install an rb in my z" posts. then we all have to explain how hard it is to do. im curious just how involved it is myself.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

punctuation?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:06 AM
phatmatt

not in the least.

factor in all of the custom fabrication involved, cutting the firewall, rewiring the electrical system, custom driveshaft, tranny mounts, and tuning. not to mention custom exhaust/adaptor new radiator (possibly use stock one), fuel system to support it in stock form (return style).

all of this will take many many many hours of a mechanics time @70-80 and hour. even if it "only" takes 70 hrs or so thats ~5600 in labor alone. and thats for a "stock" rb26 without any additional parts. dont forget to factor in the cost of the rb26, they go for a few thousand dollars.

this has been attempted a few times. one met with complete failure when the owner ran out of money once the tab hit 30k.

oh lets not forget, his intercooler and piping. right there is more than a grand, custom bent i/c pipes go for about 400, a good i/c is about 1k.
all that i am paying for is the engine and tranny driveshaft and radator i work in a metal shop so i got the matrial and i got a shop and i am not getting charged a dime and by the way if you know racers in japan you can get a motor and tranny and every thing that comes with it for around a 1000 dollar shipping was around 500 dollars people that pay that kind of money are crazy
Old 12-28-2005, 10:09 AM
phatmatt

good luck. if you could, would you document the install? we could really use a nicely written faq on this board about this. it seems like every other day we get the "im gonna install an rb in my z" posts. then we all have to explain how hard it is to do. im curious just how involved it is myself.
i will document it and nothing is hard just take longer
Old 12-28-2005, 10:34 AM
LODOSS

i will document it and nothing is hard just take longer
I don't know if you are a Phat man.. but you do have a Fat Wallet. =o good luck
Old 12-28-2005, 10:48 AM
chimmike

it seems to me maybe you should've researched this a bit more before buying an rb26dett (there are two t's there) and expecting it to be easy to bolt in there.......
Old 12-28-2005, 11:04 AM
theking

If you could get it for that cheap then you could be a rich man. Even if you are friends with someone in Japan that owns a yard, they couldn't get you full setup for that price. Maybe the RB26 motor with no harness or ecu but once you pay for the 25 tranny you will already be into it for $2500 or more. Now a RB25 is a little different story. Good luck on your endevour.
.....by the way if you know racers in japan you can get a motor and tranny and every thing that comes with it for around a 1000 dollar shipping was around 500 dollars people that pay that kind of money are crazy
Old 12-28-2005, 11:39 AM
phatmatt

Originally Posted by chimmike
it seems to me maybe you should've researched this a bit more before buying an rb26dett (there are two t's there) and expecting it to be easy to bolt in there.......
i know this man

Quick Reply: i got a rb26det