Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

removing pre-silencer legal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 06:59 PM
flyz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing pre-silencer legal?

I want to remove my resonator or whatever its called but my redneck friend (has a 01 camaro SS) says its illegal but I should still do it. So what you fellas think? And if it is illegal will it be noticed at an inspection?

-thanks

FLYZ33
Old 01-13-2003, 07:08 PM
12SecZ

Talking What do I think?

I think there are too many laws

Throw me in jail, mine is in the trash where it belongs!

"So, uhmmm. what are you in for?"

Me, "They caught me with my HP robbing weight adding presilcer removed."

I'm a felon

J/K, laws vary from state to state though.

My understanding is that anything from the cats back was legal, except cut-outs so there are exceptions.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:35 PM
zogan

Default Re: removing pre-silencer legal?

Originally posted by flyz33
I want to remove my resonator or whatever its called but my redneck friend (has a 01 camaro SS) says its illegal but I should still do it. So what you fellas think? And if it is illegal will it be noticed at an inspection?

-thanks

FLYZ33
You are only changing out a pipe. What if you were to change out the whole exhaust system, you wouldn't leave the presilencer on. Plus, what happens if that Presilencer were to rust or get damaged? I don't see any legal complications, its not like a cop is going to pull you over and say, "did you remove your presilencer on your 2003 w/ 2300 miles, all options except the areo package, passenger side cup holder 350z?" I don't thinks so. Its not even loud enough to break any sound pollution laws. I didn't mean for this to be rude as well, just IMO.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:29 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah,

You can do pretty much anything you want Cat-back, since it won't affect emmissions, but you will still need to stay within whatever noise tolerances are allowable in your area.

-D'oh!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:33 AM
flyz33

thanks, I am still a young begginner, so be nice. I think that I will get this done.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:46 PM
joeshow750

I know laws very from state to state, but I don't think that would be illegal. I took out the pre-silencer on my Z and it definitely isn't breaking any noise laws...it's actually still pretty quiet IMO.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:24 PM
12SecZ

Arrow

Well, the term "against the law" is a broad term.

There are emission laws, vehicle code laws, penal code laws, business code laws, health and safety code laws etc (you get the picture.)

The vehicle code or VC "law" in California is something like no more than 50 db's from 25 feet which we are not even close to (don't quote me but it's roughly in that area.)

The more important question, is it against emmission laws and this is where the wide variance comes into play.

Here in California smogs are due every 2 years and part of the inspection is a "visual" and you can't change anything from the cataletic converter back towards the rear (thus the term catback.)

But when you buy a new car you do not have to smog for 5 years from the date of sale. So I am going to do plenty, 5 years is a long ways away and I want every ounce of HP and tenth I can get

Hope that is a better answer.