Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350z engine capabilities

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003 | 03:28 PM
dreamer

Default 350z engine capabilities

I was just wondering what you guys think is the potential of the 350z engine, without touching the internals (Pistons...). How much was the 300zx capable of, you would expect the 350z to be able to handle the same or more. I know for a fact that the supra's 2JZ GTE engine can handle 800hp easily if tuned right.
Just curious.
Old 01-18-2003 | 09:36 PM
joeshow750

That's what we intend to find out . I'll say this: Pushing your engine a lot without "touching the internals", as you say, isn't really something I would recommend. That 2JZ engine you mentioned is entirely possible. However, you would be crazy to attempt it without forged pistons, cams, etc if you wanted to last more than 2 runs. Stock stuff just wasn't designed to take 800+ HP.
I agree. I would think that the VQ could handle atleast 350 without much problem (since my stock-internal Talon Turbo can handle up to 350rwhp). But putting out 400rwhp I would start looking into some upgraded internals. I'm leaving it up to Greddy to figure it out for sure though. Greddy, it seems, is doing quite a bit of R&D as you probably already know, so I would think that they'll have a good idea of the engine's capacity. One thing I am worried about with that much hp is the clutch...plan on replacing that before long if you get to 400hp. The supra engine...wow...I've read alot of stuff about that engine and it's probably one of the best stock engines out there. There are tons of guys out there running low 9's and even a few that have run high 8's with their stock internal supra engines, which is why those cars still sell used for well over $30k. I don't think the VQ engine has that kind of capacity or it would cost a bit more.