Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Power-shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power-shifting

So how much damage does this do to the transmission? Does it wear the transmission significantly if done right?

I'm not going to ask by how much does it reduce the life of the transmission, since its wear&tear and it depends on how often you do it, but I just wanted to get a general idea as to how bad this can be for the car.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:33 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be curious about this as well, maybe alberto will chime in since he seems to be pro-powershifting.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 PM
raptorbh12

i believe me and bert are both on our 3rd trannies then again he might be on his 4th. But ive noticed right after powershifting i grind gears more frequently but both times i blew out my trans it seemed totally unrelated to the powershifting. I believe the actual gears themselves are the weak parts of our transmissions because it seems i strip the teeth off the gears when the tranny goes up.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:01 PM
NismoNitsuj

With the tranny problems known about the Z...I don't even consider it an option.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:43 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Each time that you drive the car shortens the life of the transmission.

If your primary interest is ET, if done properly, power shifting will help ET. If you make a mistake, ET will suffer badly. Do I power shift? No. I race Summit ET and consistency is second to ET.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bobby(raptorbh12) experienced shifting problems after powershifting even after the latest (supposedly good) tranny Nissan came out with. I am on my 3rd tranny, my stock and 1st replacement were not the newest version so they grinded. Now how much of that was me and how much was it Nissans $hitty synchros? Who knows. I can say this. When done correctly, and at NA power levels I can say from EXPERIENCE a few things. Oee-our stock clutches are STOUT-53K miles and 3 trannies later my stock clutch when I pulled it out-it wasnt slipping yet nor did it slip one time, it was in ok shape given the 1000's of powershifts, and 6000rpm clutch drop on slicks. And my latest 3rd tranny which I have had over 1.5 years, and 30+K miles has NEVER given me a cold morning grind or any problems with the same driving the first two got. My honest opinion if you need to ask about this, dont do it, chances are your not ready for it. But if you are, PM me Ill give you some pointers
Old 02-10-2006, 06:20 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alberto
Bobby(raptorbh12) experienced shifting problems after powershifting even after the latest (supposedly good) tranny Nissan came out with. I am on my 3rd tranny, my stock and 1st replacement were not the newest version so they grinded. Now how much of that was me and how much was it Nissans $hitty synchros? Who knows. I can say this. When done correctly, and at NA power levels I can say from EXPERIENCE a few things. Oee-our stock clutches are STOUT-53K miles and 3 trannies later my stock clutch when I pulled it out-it wasnt slipping yet nor did it slip one time, it was in ok shape given the 1000's of powershifts, and 6000rpm clutch drop on slicks. And my latest 3rd tranny which I have had over 1.5 years, and 30+K miles has NEVER given me a cold morning grind or any problems with the same driving the first two got. My honest opinion if you need to ask about this, dont do it, chances are your not ready for it. But if you are, PM me Ill give you some pointers
When I installed my test pipes I noticed that my 2nd tranny is the first gen. I haven't had a problem with it though and I have about 25K miles on it with some powershifting every now and then too
Old 02-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Geovannie

This car has been the easiest car ever to powershift. I just got it a week ago and I have powershifted it everyday. It goes in smooth without any hesitation. If you do it right you should not have a problem. Don't learn to powershift on this car though.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:41 PM
raptorbh12

haha i learned to powershift on this car. Yea i sometimes have cold grind in the morning when i back my car up. also its VERY rare that i grind gears, usualy if im messing around and slam the gas n 1st gear and make an attempt to shift quickly. Also my 1st clutch went ridiculously fast. My JWT has been nothing but a gem so far for me even with slicks.