Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Upgrading the Torque converter on 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Akodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading the Torque converter on 5AT

My valve body has already been upgraded and a transmission cooler coming. I'm wondering, if professionally done, how much gain in HP and Torque would I see to the wheels (not the crank) percentage-wise?

I figure some of you out there have done it. Wondering what result/gains you have seen.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:25 PM
GAaaAR

I dont think a torque converter adds HP. What it does is limits drivetrain loss on a 5at. As for how much HP would be added at the wheels from a lowered percentage of drivetrain loss, well that depends how much hp you have to begin with and what mods you have. Lets just say it lowers drivetrain loss by 2% (Just a guess, not really sure how much) and your making 300 hp at the crank, then that means you gained 6hp at the wheels from less drivetrain loss. On the other hand if you making 320hp at the crank, then you just gained 6.4 hp at the wheels from less drivetrain loss. So i think it all depends how much hp your making.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Akodo

Hehe you just explained what I am asking for. The percentage gain anyone who has upgraded their torque converter has gained to the wheels versus the stock converter. I have the HP I just want to know how much of a gain at the wheels by minimizing the transfer loss to the drivetrain from the crank has been noticed. <grin> I think I repeated it two different ways in this reply. In other words is it a significant gain that has been noticed. Also wondering about real wheel torque increase from minizmizing the transfer loss has been noticed.

Thank you for the reply