Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch fluid boiling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:06 PM
1 2 NV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch fluid boiling?

I have noticed lately that when my car engine is still cool or mildly warmed up my car shifts fine. But after driving around for a while it becomes difficult to get the car in gear. It also seems like it grabs sooner when releasing the clutch as if I didn't push it in all the way and just pushed it in far enough to get it in gear(catch point). Would boiled clutch fluid be the likely cause? I was also thinking maybe the clutch line is actually expanding (diameter wise) from the heat and there for requiring the need for a higher volume of hydraulic fluid. Sort of like brake fade, if that's easier for anyone to understand. I will more than likely be purchasing a ss clutch line and a high temp brake fluid. I am just hoping some one has experienced the same thing and fixed the problem by replacing the two items i mentioned.........I guess for a piece of mind, and to make sure I am diagnosing this problem correctly. And yes.....my clutch fluid level is and has stayed at the full mark.Thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 10:02 AM
1 2 NV

does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:05 AM
MIAPLAYA

Dude shoulda called me...this happened to me at the track once.

Buy this: http://www.mossyperformance.com/product/?id=3270
Its pre-heat wrapped but wrap it again.

When you install it flush in this: http://www.mossyperformance.com/product/?id=4312

You clutch hydraulic system just uses regular brake fluid. The combination of those two above and I have never had it happen again.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:00 PM
mikead_99

This seems like a pretty big deficiency with this car. I can possibly understand it happening when tracked since this is sold as a street ride, but it should only happen under extreme conditions. I had already planned to replace the flex line and fluid in mine since I do plan to track it on occasion, but I ran into problems this weekend after not very extreme driving. I feathered the clutch and ripped off a little fishtail in my work parking lot on my way outa there (becoming a tradition on the weekend days I have to swing by the office ), pounded gears 1 and 2 heading up a short stretch to a stop sign, 'nother feather and fishtail taking a right onto a nice empty, open stretch and pounded through 3rd, trying to get into 4th I couldn't. Didn't miss the shift, I felt the notch, just couldn't get it down there. Had to double-clutch it and by then I was pissed and lost the urge to fly. It's been butter until then, but pisses me off that just a little controlled enthusiasm and the car is incapacitated. Wasn't it built for this stuff?[/rant]

....guess that moves up to the front of my to do list, as well as replacing tranny and diff fluids since the factory fluids are now very suspect IMO. (oil already done at 650 miles)