Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VQ35 T56 Conversion Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 PM
s4teensylvia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ35 T56 Conversion Help

Ok Im in the process of putting a T56 behind a VQ35. I already have someone lined up to make the bellhousing so that is not a problem. The next hurdle I have to jump comes down to the clutch. The 03-04 Cobra T56 I plan on using has a 1.0625"x 10T Spline Input shaft. However I can also opt for the much stronger Dodge Viper and F car 1.125"x26T Spline input shaft. The VQ35 uses a 250mm friction disc which comes out to 9.84" so a mustang or Viper friction disc will not work. I need a clutch for the VQ35 that will work with one of those input shafts. The flywheel does not need the crank sensor ring as I will be making a mount for a crank sensor off of the crank pully itself (I will cross that bridge when I get there) using a Ford style sensor ring. I have heard of people with 300ZX's doing a T56 swap. Anyone know what clutch they use and if it is compatible with the VQ35. Also is the flywheel pattern on the VQ35 the same as on anyother Nissan motor possibly with the spline pattern on the clutch hub I need. I also heard older Nissans used a T5 trans. Im pretty sure that the splines on the input shaft of the T5 and T56 are the same. I looked all over the internet and the info I need is pretty hard to come by. Any help woud be appreciated. I will post pictures when I get everything together so everyone else can solve thier Z33 tranny problems once and for all.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, more power to ya, but I think this is a waste. The Z tranny is bombproof as it is. I haven't heard of anyone blowing their's up. If you mean to solve for grinding issues, I think that's already been taken care of by Nissan for free with their latest tranny replacement. In any case, the flywheel on the Z is exclusive to the VQ35, other companies (JWT) have drilled for different patterns to use hte flywheel on the SR20 since the diameter is the same, but the VQ35 pattern is exclusive to the VQ35 AFAIK.
Good luck to you, it will be cool to see you pull this off.
Will
Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 AM
rednezz

Originally Posted by Resolute
Damn, more power to ya, but I think this is a waste. The Z tranny is bombproof as it is. I haven't heard of anyone blowing their's up. If you mean to solve for grinding issues, I think that's already been taken care of by Nissan for free with their latest tranny replacement. In any case, the flywheel on the Z is exclusive to the VQ35, other companies (JWT) have drilled for different patterns to use hte flywheel on the SR20 since the diameter is the same, but the VQ35 pattern is exclusive to the VQ35 AFAIK.
Good luck to you, it will be cool to see you pull this off.
Will
The Z tranny is not bomb proof. The reason you don't hear about people destroying their transmissions is because either A). The dealer replaces a grinding transmission right away. B.) People don't post their transmission failures. I destroyed my transmission because I kept driving it with the infamous 5th and 3rd gear grind for about a month until it destroyed itself.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:41 AM
barthelb
Master

unless he's making over 600hp and it broke i don't see the point. Cuz its fine up to 500whp that i know first hand let alone all the others running over 6 and close to 700whp. But it's something cool to say.

Last edited by barthelb; 03-29-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:02 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the jza80 getrag is an easier swap, have you looked into that trans?

Btw, who did you get to make a bell housing?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rednezz
The Z tranny is not bomb proof. The reason you don't hear about people destroying their transmissions is because either A). The dealer replaces a grinding transmission right away. B.) People don't post their transmission failures. I destroyed my transmission because I kept driving it with the infamous 5th and 3rd gear grind for about a month until it destroyed itself.
I didn't mean they haven't broken, obviously the earlier models had issues. But I haven't heard of anyone's tranny not handling the torque outputs from their engine, and several are hitting over 500lb/ft to the wheels. I don't imagine anyone having issues with their transmission being too weak, and I doubt a Tremec will be any stronger. If anything, I think the money would be better spent on a dogbox for the Z.
Will
Old 03-29-2006, 11:02 AM
seanlaw

Originally Posted by barthelb
unless he's making over 600hp and it broke i don't see the point. Cuz its fine up to 500whp that i know first hand let alone all the others running over 6 and close to 700whp. But it's something cool to say.
exactly what I told him on Zilvia.net...sorry i told him to come here to ask but that's what i figured.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:13 AM
s4teensylvia

Originally Posted by meatbag
I think the jza80 getrag is an easier swap, have you looked into that trans?

Btw, who did you get to make a bell housing?
Havent looked into that one. How is it easier though? If it really is that much easier maybe I will try that. But for this swap I have just about everything down except for the clutch. So naturally Im gonna stick with this if I can. Im planning about 800whp on race gas so I need somthing strong. The T56 is alot stronger. That and the fact that there is a huge aftermarket of parts for it. If it does break there isint a shortage of parts. As far as a dogbox for the VQ35 who makes one? I could look into that but typicly those things are around 5 grand and up. It dosent sound like it but the T56 is cheaper.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:50 PM
barthelb
Master

Make 800whp first then start looking into transmission. I dont even expect 800whp and my block is cammed, sleeved and has a stroked crank. It should be going in the car in a couple months maybe more as i want to see if i can hit 500whp on this block. Im currently at 463whp 445wtrq @9.5psi with an APS TT. I wish you the best of luck tho cuz we all end up helping eachother out, unless like some others that don't like to share info for whatever reason.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:26 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Im not sure on all the details, i havent looked into swaping the getrag my self but you have a good point, the T56 is cheaper in many ways and can still handle the power.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:44 PM
s4teensylvia

Well my setup is gonna be a little diferent then most people on this forum. The motor is actually going in a S14. Its gonna see mostly track use and maybe very limited weekend use. Im using a farly large T eeries turbo. Havent decided which one yet though. Im also looking at the Cosworth heads and Cams if there any good. So I think around the 800 RWHP mark is possible with some crazy boost, haha. Anyway I did some research today and I think Im gonna go with a custom input shaft from G Foce trans. That way I can just use the VQ35 clutch set up and not have to worry about it. Im still in the reseach stages but when I get everything done I will post pictures, part numbers, and a list of vendors. That way anyone that wants to tackle this for thier Z33 will not have the sleepless nights that I've had over this whole thing, haha. See now if Nissan just put a kick *** trans in the first place I wouldnt be in this position. Then again its nice to be different.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:40 PM
s4teensylvia

Oh yeah. Now I need an input shaft from the VQ35 trans so I can send it up to G Force. They need it so they can make the custom one I need with the correct splines and measurments. If anyone has one from and trans they broke or whatever I will buy it off you. If you wanna give me one that would be even better. I will pay shipping of course, haha. Or if anyone knows where I can find one let me know. Thanks guys.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:09 PM
johnlotusboy

Cool

I heard the weed in Hawaii was good but I've never been that stoned .

Last edited by johnlotusboy; 03-29-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:36 AM
s4teensylvia

Hahaha. Yeah my boy lives up in North Carolina and he said they got weak weed up there. He said hes gonna try and bring some back to NC next time he comes home to Hawaii.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:56 PM
allen22

The flywheel does not need the crank sensor ring as I will be making a mount for a crank sensor off of the crank pully itself (I will cross that bridge when I get there) using a Ford style sensor ring.
Incase you're still working on this I sell an adapter for a Ford 36-1 type trigger wheel, or would be useful for a custom built wheel.

Check here for some pics:
http://www.engineswaptech.com/photos...t.aspx?ppage=3

allen
Old 04-28-2006, 05:39 PM
dyezak

You want a custom flywheel and clutch, call clutchmasters with all the measurements. They did one for my shop when we put a t5 behind a 4g63 to put in a starion.