Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Ultimate Racing VQ35 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 04:12 AM
Spanners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO way toomuch work spent on the ports and nowhere near enough in the combustion chamber.
Wall side has had a wee bit done but the easiest to get to and area which nets the biggest gains hasn't been touched.
Looks like a 4g63 head to me (don't do much mitsi work) in which someone has really f**ked up the quench areas.
Whats a job like that worth as a retailer?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:28 AM
aalzuhair

This head are from an SRT-4 done by a guy called Dave from HeadGames Motorworks and I would think that that type of work would be above $1k

Last edited by aalzuhair; 04-18-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:43 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spanners
IMHO way toomuch work spent on the ports and nowhere near enough in the combustion chamber.
Wall side has had a wee bit done but the easiest to get to and area which nets the biggest gains hasn't been touched.
Looks like a 4g63 head to me (don't do much mitsi work) in which someone has really f**ked up the quench areas.
Whats a job like that worth as a retailer?
Spanners - I'm going to ask Dave to post on here... I would ask that you're respectful if he does, and know what you're talking about before you post. Dave is a proven guru on heads, there's no question about that. Many of the top guys in the industry normally don't want to come on forums due to people bashing just to bash when they really aren't experts.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 AM
aalzuhair

The whole reason behind this thread is to learn about heads porting so I kindly ask all of you to accept each other point of views and comments in a constructive manner. Some might use their own words to relay their comments and opinion, thus I would ask to bear with the writer for the benefit of all.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:50 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Philthy
I agree 100% with you.

I'm going to take some pictures of the last set of heads that Dave did for me later this week, complete work of art!

I'll call Dave tomorrow and see if he could post some details on what he does to make so much power with these heads. The last set made over 125hp by just adding his heads, and my new set are even more impressive - I think he's got these heads pretty much figured out.
Dave is the man, he is working a few sets of heads for us as we speak.He is a bit on the pricey side, but professional and very thourough..He asked me NOT to post pictures of the heads he did for us on the web,and I suggest you do the same..Anyone who post pics of their headwork on the web is CRAZY IMO for giving away their secrets. Alot can be learned from simply looking at a set of heads..
Old 04-18-2006, 06:22 AM
aalzuhair

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Dave is the man, he is working a few sets of heads for us as we speak.He is a bit on the pricey side, but professional and very thourough..He asked me NOT to post pictures of the heads he did for us on the web,and I suggest you do the same..Anyone who post pics of their headwork on the web is CRAZY IMO for giving away their secrets. Alot can be learned from simply looking at a set of heads..
But sharing is caring
Old 04-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by aalzuhair
But sharing is caring
Not in this industry...
Some things are best kept secrets..
Old 04-18-2006, 06:59 AM
spacemn_spiff

What kind of gains are expected from this ?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:15 AM
HeadGames

Some might not understand that head porting in some respects is alot about common sense and the opinion of the head porter..some might find things that work in there application that others that have been down the same road no longer, or would never follow. It also has alot to do with artistic talent, the abilty to paint the picture in your head and make it a reality using a grinder and a carbide bit..as such, some find picaso's and others look like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder tag teamed the canvas.

I have no problems with pics taken and posted of my work, I am very proud of my work and know when someone gets one of my heads they could put it on there mantle for all to see and feel just as well as putting it on there car.I might ask from time to time to not take pics of certain parts of the head, such as the valvejob or combustion chamber, as in the case with MRC.

I don't know you Spanner, but I respect that you have opinion..I fault no one for having one, as long as it is used in a constructive manner..saying that the quench is F-uped on the SRT head shown might show your intelligence and a little ignorance. It might actually be the only good thing about that POS head.(porting that head is like trying to shine a turd-for real). That combustion chamber of similier design has gone well into the 7's and made 1200+hp..so I don't think it's all that bad. I do agree it could be better, but sometimes we must play with the hand given.

I guess the fellow who posted this thread works for Ultimite Racing? You said to give some of my opinion on how to make your heads better, in my opinion would to find some consistancy in the porting and sanding..and to take the guides out and leave them out while you port the head, put them back in and blend the valvejob in..I of course am not trying to put your stuff down, so please do not take offense. Just trying to help.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

I can post pics - Dave doesn't mind... I've already posted a bunch of in progress pics of my heads somewhere on this forum, don't remember the thread. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them up.

Just because you can see a work of art, doesn't mean you can duplicate it.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:36 AM
aalzuhair

Originally Posted by HeadGames
Some might not understand that head porting in some respects is alot about common sense and the opinion of the head porter..some might find things that work in there application that others that have been down the same road no longer, or would never follow. It also has alot to do with artistic talent, the abilty to paint the picture in your head and make it a reality using a grinder and a carbide bit..as such, some find picaso's and others look like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder tag teamed the canvas.

I have no problems with pics taken and posted of my work, I am very proud of my work and know when someone gets one of my heads they could put it on there mantle for all to see and feel just as well as putting it on there car.I might ask from time to time to not take pics of certain parts of the head, such as the valvejob or combustion chamber, as in the case with MRC.

I don't know you Spanner, but I respect that you have opinion..I fault no one for having one, as long as it is used in a constructive manner..saying that the quench is F-uped on the SRT head shown might show your intelligence and a little ignorance. It might actually be the only good thing about that POS head.(porting that head is like trying to shine a turd-for real). That combustion chamber of similier design has gone well into the 7's and made 1200+hp..so I don't think it's all that bad. I do agree it could be better, but sometimes we must play with the hand given.

I guess the fellow who posted this thread works for Ultimite Racing? You said to give some of my opinion on how to make your heads better, in my opinion would to find some consistancy in the porting and sanding..and to take the guides out and leave them out while you port the head, put them back in and blend the valvejob in..I of course am not trying to put your stuff down, so please do not take offense. Just trying to help.
Thank you Dave for coming here

I don't work for Ultimate Racing and those heads are for my new engine So I was hooping to get some comments and see how can we make them flow better.

Thank you for your input in advance,

Az

Last edited by aalzuhair; 04-18-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:51 AM
aalzuhair

By the way Dave, how do you like the stock VQ35 heads?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:53 AM
mojo powered

interesting conversation, subscribing
Old 04-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Spanners

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Anyone who post pics of their headwork on the web is CRAZY IMO for giving away their secrets. Alot can be learned from simply looking at a set of heads..

Correct, BUT if you think that you're going to see any more than what is chosen to be shown to you.. you're greatly mistaken!
When we 1st started doing VH, SR, and RB heads on the flowbench, about 4 complete heads were cut up for experimentation.
There is NO correct way to do a head, but there is some simple basics that work on everyone of the,.

If you see the pics below, one is of a chamber roughed out for some bench testing, the other is untouched obviously. Honda H22A
Approx 25% flow increase at low valve lift. Ports have only had a debur and the seats a light blend.

There is more to just cleaning the heads up.. we have found MASSIVE flow increases in a Nissan head from something as simple as (while standing around scratching our heads) putting a finger into the port. So out somes the mig and your inlet port now has a great big dimple in it. 99/100 people are going to tell you its wrong, but flow bench and dyno numbers don't lie.
We found just shy of 50% MORE power out of a CA18DET @11psi with head and valve work. This wee car will walk away from anything thats not RB26 powered... makes a mockery of LS1s!

Old 04-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Spanners

Originally Posted by HeadGames
saying that the quench is F-uped on the SRT head shown might show your intelligence and a little ignorance.
As I said, looks like a 4G63 head with f**ked up quench.
Fact that it isn't makes no judgement to the actual quality of the work.
Please don't take comment as negative as hopefully you can see it wasn't intended in its context.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:02 PM
aalzuhair

Spanners,

How do you remove the squish area? or can you better explain what is a squish area.

Thanks,

Az

PS: Do you work for http://www.japaneseperformanceparts.com/
Old 04-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Spanners

IMHO you don't want to remove the squish/quench area (there are instances you do remove it be its far in excess of any vehicles here- so we'll leave it out)
The area is designed to push the mixture towards the middle of the combustion chamber.

I work for myself
Old 04-18-2006, 03:12 PM
aalzuhair

See my target is to reach 1000whp and I'm really trying my best to achive that and I need all the help I can find

Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Spanners

Not a prob.. our target is almost double that!
I'd recommend a pair of 62-1s or 3540s as far as turbos go.
Going to need around 20psi and what I'd call a 'mild' head job.
Nothing too fancy, combustion chambers, ports and runner matching.
Obviously rods and pistons, cams, springs, retainers (and hopefully you have manual trans behind it and not an auto)

Very do-able
Just have to have complete confidence in your builder and tuner!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:38 PM
aalzuhair

Well I have full confidence in the tuner me .. hahah

The whole engine was done. I have got all the parts that you mentioned plus a lot of other parts (some yet to be), including:

SFR Twin Turbo System
Ferrea Super Alloy Valves - Exhaust +1mm Over Size
Ferrea Competition Plus Valves - Intake +1mm Over Size
Ferrea Duel Spring Special Alloy - Turbo Endurance Application
Ferrea Titanium Retainers
Ferrea Steel Valve Locks
Ferrea Spring Seat Locators
Ferrea Valve Guides
Ferrea Valve Seals
Cometic Metal Heads Gaskets
Ported and Polished Heads
TOMEI 268 duration with 10.5 mm lift Camshafts Set
Heads oil passages cleaned
Heads redecked
Heads gasket match
Valve Stem Heights set
Nissan Cam seals
Darton MID Block Sleeves
Combustion chamber cleanup
Block oil passages cleaned
Block redecked
Cold Clearance set
Crower Forged Rod & CP Pistons 8.5:1 CR Stock Bore
ARP Heads, Main & Rods Studs
Balance Rotating Assembly
Top Speed High Capacity Cooling Oil Pan
Koyo Aluminum Radiator For 350Z 53mm
Nismo Racing Oil Cooler Kit 350Z
NISMO Oil Pump

Last edited by aalzuhair; 04-18-2006 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Racing VQ35 Heads