Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Dealer offering to advance timing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 07:10 AM
travs_z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer offering to advance timing?

This is my first post to this forum. I am a new Daytona Blue Enthusiast owner, and I'm really loving my new car. When I took delivery of my Z on Monday, the dealer service manager asked me if I wanted to advance the timing by 3 degrees.

He said that Nissan retards the timing a little, possibly to help with emissions, but by advancing the timing 3 degrees, it would help performance, but still stay within spec. I declined for the moment, but have any other owners heard of this? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2003, 07:15 AM
jeffw

Welcome to the forum!

You are the first to mention the timing advance as far as I know.

I have a feeling that you've just opened the flood gates. Everyone will probably be calling their dealer now to see if this can be done.
--
Jeff
Old 02-07-2003, 07:38 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The VQ35 is based on a timing chain.

the only way to advance timing for this motor is thru the ECU. there is no other option.

My ecu is going to a local ECU tuner next week. plans are to send it to japan for their headquarters to take a look at. (these are the same people that did my maxima chip) we'll know by next month is there is any progress.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:43 AM
EWOOD420

Thumbs up

iI have a VQ35 in my altima and also have my timing advanced +3 degrees. The car definitley feels more torkey thru-out the powerband in my opinion. i have had it advanced for about 4 months. my .02
Old 02-07-2003, 07:54 AM
6kLaunch

Originally posted by EWOOD420
iI have a VQ35 in my altima and also have my timing advanced +3 degrees. The car definitley feels more torkey thru-out the powerband in my opinion. i have had it advanced for about 4 months. my .02
How did you advance the timing?
Old 02-07-2003, 08:23 AM
EWOOD420

The dealer has to do it with the Consult tool they have.... Thats the only way I know of for now.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:41 AM
Them Bones

Originally posted by Chebosto
The VQ35 is based on a timing chain.

the only way to advance timing for this motor is thru the ECU. there is no other option.
I've seen it done on other cars by relocating the crank angle sensor and mounting an adjustable ring to the crank pulley. You can then fool the sensor with the adjustable ring to think the crank is beyond where it really is, hence, advanced timing!

-TB
Old 02-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

that consul tool is only temporay, when the device is plugged in.

unles you drive with the consul attached, there is no way to maintain it.

Originally posted by EWOOD420
The dealer has to do it with the Consult tool they have.... Thats the only way I know of for now.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:23 AM
travs_z

I am just going by what the service manager techs told me when I picked up the car. Since I still don't know much about the ignition system on the car, I thought it was as simple as turning the distributor a few notches. My last car was an OBD I Prelude VTEC, so maybe its computer didn't correct for this.

If I get a chance I will go by the service department today, and ask them exactly how this is done. Sorry about the controversy!
Old 02-07-2003, 09:30 AM
EWOOD420

No the timing does stay advanced. I took my car back in a couple of months later for something and had them check to see if the timing was still advanced and it was.....
Old 02-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The service manual states that normal timing is 15° ± 5° BTDC. Seems like a big range?

The service manual also states that timing can be adjusted using CONSULT-II. However, the manual is very vague about this because they prefer that the mechanic discover the reason why the timing is off (sensor malfunction, part fault, etc.).

I wonder what percentage of Nissan dealers would agree to advance the timing upon the customer's request. I would guess not many. But I'm sure one could be found. If you made it clear you wanted the timing set no greater than 20°, it would still be in spec and perhaps they would be more willing to comply.

What benefits are likely on the Z with a timing advance?

Last edited by Intrepid; 02-07-2003 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:22 PM
travs_z

I went down and talked to my local service manager, and he said the advance is performed through using the computer, and that it was a permanent adjustment, unless adjusted back.

If I recall correctly, he said that the Z's timing is retarded 1 degree, and can be advanced to +2 degrees TDC for a total of 3 degrees: -1 +3=+2.

He even mentioned that a few dealer swap models they have gotten from Oregon have been delivered with the timing already advanced 3 degrees.

I am going to wait until after my car has passed the break in period before I get the adjustment. Only1000 miles to go!
Old 02-07-2003, 02:58 PM
joeshow750

Maybe somebody could do a before and after dyno on this.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:34 PM
sith

Hey cheston,

The VE30DE has a Timing Chain and the VE maxima guys notice differences in advancing their ignition timing. Just turn the Crank Angle Sensor alittle and it advances and stays. Don't any of you VQ guys try it? I don't know if it's different between the VQ and VE but generally should be the same i don't know why you couldn't do it yourself and have it stay.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by sith
Hey cheston,

The VE30DE has a Timing Chain and the VE maxima guys notice differences in advancing their ignition timing. Just turn the Crank Angle Sensor alittle and it advances and stays. Don't any of you VQ guys try it? I don't know if it's different between the VQ and VE but generally should be the same i don't know why you couldn't do it yourself and have it stay.
After looking at the service manual, I don't think you can do this with the Z.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:41 PM
mwaller

could the wide tolerance quoted be a reflection of the variable valve timing system? If so, I don't understand how you can "advance the timing 3 degrees" since the timing is contingent on rpm. ???
Mika
Old 02-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Them Bones

Originally posted by mwaller
could the wide tolerance quoted be a reflection of the variable valve timing system? If so, I don't understand how you can "advance the timing 3 degrees" since the timing is contingent on rpm. ???
Mika
They're talking about spark timing, not valve timing. Any timing advance would be to the base timing. The computer would then advance the timing per built in maps as the RPMs rise.

-TB
Old 02-26-2003, 12:19 PM
djlynch

I wonder what percentage of Nissan dealers would agree to advance the timing upon the customer's request. I would guess not many. But I'm sure one could be found. If you made it clear you wanted the timing set no greater than 20°, it would still be in spec and perhaps they would be more willing to comply.
Alright heres the word from Nissan...

Went in today (Pat Peck Nissan, Mobile, AL) to get my first oil change (1500 miles). I asked the guy at the service desk about the timing and he said "no because the ECU would have to be reprogrammed."

Well, one of the service Techs owns a DB Track Model, and has owned his since around Oct. I asked him the deal. He said that it is not a DIY job (as stated before), but...

NISSAN WILL DO IT.

They can only advance it 2 degrees. I asked him the cost, and he said they will charge for one hour labor, but it is actually about a 20 minute job. He personally hasn't done one yet (there are less than 10 Zs here) but he was going to do his car one day when he gets "bored".

He doesn't expect it to be very advantageous, and he said that the timing IS NOT retard from factory (to his knowledge).

I would have got this done today if I had some cash on me, but I was getting the complimentary oil change. I did this on my 5.0 mustang back in the day (from 12 to 14 deg), and I definately felt a difference. Next week I will let you know something when I do it.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

thats interesting that the dealer would do it..

what will happen if you reset the ECU? i take it the rom will be flashed and their advancement will be erased...

how much is an hour labor? $75?

2 degrees is pretty small

i'm thinking about more in the lines of 5 degrees...

Tadashi took my ECU to japan this past monday, he'll be back next tuesday....

well.. at least if they said no, then we can say we tried...

interesting note: they said that the Z ecu is very similar to the WRX ecu as far as the manufacturing/programming of it..
Old 03-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Iceman02

Default So what are the results ????

I'm going at the dealership tomorrow to get some maintenance done to the car and wanted to ask him to advance the timming.

Anyone here actually did it ? and was the gain really noticable ?

Quick Reply: Dealer offering to advance timing?