Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

flooded

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 08:52 PM
mono11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flooded

sh@#%%$$ it rain pretty hard today and my cars got flood. friking 4 runner pass me very on my right and all the water went toward my car broke my front lip and got water some where don't know but i'm praying that the cold air intake filter didn't suck none of it cuz i will be fu#@$ed it went dead asoon the ater hit then i try to turn it on and it just klicked. like something electrical. it does the same thing right now . so tomorow when it dryies up i really hope it starts.. can u guyz give me any ideas what could it be. sounds like electrical mabe like the starter got wet or something... i'm really hoping that it ... i cheak the ingen oil and it looks normal. any ideas? please.. thank you
Old 05-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hate to tell you this but i lost my z32 this way. got flooded while driving in about a foot of water. the car stalled, like a dumb *** i tried to restart it. all i got was a click. i was praying it was something electrical but ended up being the that the motor was hydro-locked. hopefully this is not the case for you.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:26 PM
mono11

is this mean a new moter? shoot will the insurance cover this?
Old 05-05-2006, 10:33 PM
mono11

if my insurance covers flood damage . would it be a good idea to remove the cold air intake before the insurance guyz even looks at it? i know i sound stupid but shoot don't know what to do tomorrow when i go try to start it again.. man i'm gonna be crossing my fingers... hummmmmm
Old 05-05-2006, 10:41 PM
plumpzz

remove all intake mods. DONT try to start it if it hydrolocked. DONNNTT, u'll break a rod or something, since water doesn't cmpress. Take it to a shop, and they'll unlock it for you
Old 05-05-2006, 11:16 PM
CAN0802

Pull your plugs and turn it over until you don't see water shooting out anymore. Dry the plugs off and you should be good to start it up. Next change your oil, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:21 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by CAN0802
Pull your plugs and turn it over until you don't see water shooting out anymore. Dry the plugs off and you should be good to start it up. Next change your oil, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I've heard of many folks this has worked for. I'd recommend trying it before removing any mods or even talking to the insurance company.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:19 AM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by taurran

I've heard of many folks this has worked for. I'd recommend trying it before removing any mods or even talking to the insurance company.
Exactly. The worst that could happen is that your engine is in need of major repair. What harm are you going to do by trying to blow out the water? None, unless it already is blown. The sooner you do this, the less likely it is for the water to do damage (assuming you don't have holes in your pistons).
Old 05-06-2006, 05:55 AM
mono11

Angry

what i'm gonna do is bring it home and then put the air intake back the way it was then monday call the insurance. and hopfully they can cover flood after that let them take care of it. what do u guyz think. yesturday night before reading the replys i went back and tried to start it and it did the same. just a click so i'm not gonna tuoch it any more. i just gonna check the oil see it has water in it and take a spark plug out. also maybe when i take the coldair intake it may have some water in there.( my coldair intake i had it installed right in the bottom front, right where the grill is) not good.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:58 AM
mono11

Default update guyz

i took the coolair intake and there was water in it. so it did suck water also on the lil line that runs from the intake to the ingen when i removed it water came out. some more then likely water went in some where. i check the oil and it seems normal. so what do u guyz think the posobilities are? thanks alot for ur help.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:38 AM
bsp
Sponsor
Brainstorm Performance

Water damage is always a sad way to lose a car. We've had to do a couple of engine swaps because of it. The last one we did was covered by insurance if I remember correctly, I believe that's what the customer told me.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:41 AM
mono11

i really hope it covers i have full coverage so it sould if not my car will be parked for a long time.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

man, this is why i always tell people that there is absolutely no reason to run a cai. short tube intakes have proven to yield just as good if not better gains then a cai, cost less and are easier to install and easier to clean. zero reason to go cai imho. whatever happens, make sure you get rid of that cai. good luck to you and your car.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:02 PM
mono11

i did took it off. it has an option shot or long so next time i just put it short. and make sure not drive it when it rains. just take my truck to work.. well thanks guyz for all ur help and tips.. i really apriciate everything ... see u around i'll let u know when i get in touch with my insurance company.. see what they have to say about it.. they cover hail damage before with my truck i can see why wouldn't they cover flood damage.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:35 PM
mono11

the shop called me and told me that they could get and engine used with 9000 miles. mine has 37000 so u guyz think is it a good deal.. one yr warranty. insurance pays for it
Old 05-09-2006, 06:06 PM
CAN0802

Now you have a non numbers matching car. When you go to sell it, you might have to answer why. You seriously should have tried pulling your plugs first and found out if it would have fixed the issue. You gave up too soon.
As for a used engine, you have no idea what happened to that engine in those 9000 miles. The previous owner could have beaten it up pretty good, or it might have been an oil drinker.
Lose-lose situation.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:27 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you even know what's wrong with your engine? Pull the plugs, turn it over a few times, WD-40 it, dry it out, and try starting it. If you broke or bent something, overhaul or building may be better than another engine from a junk yard. I would at least try to get it to run before just tossing it.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:16 PM
mono11

Default good news

engine is saved. it's running, they took the plugs out and it runs now they r changing all the filters and they r gonna change the oil 3 times they r gonna run it before each time they chandge the oil. the interior was a lil wet on driver side cuz it got wet when i got out of the car in the middel of the pond. so thy r gonna take it out and clean it shmpoo it and all tha stuff they r gonna replace the mat thats under the rug. so it should be ready no later then monday.. also my friend he said he took pictures and have everything on recored just incase something goes wrong later in the future and may be couse of the flood that way insurance will take care of it.... so i'm happy, thanks for evreything guyz.