Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UTEC Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 05:03 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
I find it hard to believe that if you spend less than $940 they will void your warranty...
They probably have a minimum price set that legitimate dealers must not sell below that amount. Less than that they figure it's grey-market and won't provide support.

As a side note to the original poster - any GB would have to follow the rules of this site regarding GBs so make sure you review them before actually attempting to start one up.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers are prohibited from selling or advertising them for less than $940. I imagine, that if you are building a $10,000 project, TXS will cut the dealer some slack if they sell the UTEC for less.

But like Z1 said, TXS strictly prohibits GB's. You can call TXS and ask Jermaine or Nathan.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:16 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
i'm interested. I'd want to pay $575.
people in hell want ice water
Old 05-27-2006, 05:20 PM
nyc350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested. Gimme a price. New 1 cost about 950.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:23 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by nyc350z

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Dealers are prohibited from selling or advertising them for less than $940.

$940
Old 05-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Gators2001

I'm in the market for one.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:35 PM
IceBurnzTT

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
They probably have a minimum price set that legitimate dealers must not sell below that amount. Less than that they figure it's grey-market and won't provide support.

As a side note to the original poster - any GB would have to follow the rules of this site regarding GBs so make sure you review them before actually attempting to start one up.
They dont LIKE you to sell things below the retail price for several reasons. All vendors on here make a good buck despite their lowered prices but they cant advertise via thread or their website said prices. They can only be provided through email / pm/ or on the phone. If you mess with the maker they cut you off. Only reason the creators of UTEC wouldnt like this to sell is because that depletes the sales of their distributors and it works both ways. They let some small guy sell it for less than the big guy gets angry and might look elsewhere for ECU products. Basically its all bs politics but if the GB runner knows his stuff and makes an extensive DIY guide to said tech question and can come at the manufacturer with an order of X amount of units they will more than likely accept such an offer. Only issue is the price of the gb could not be as publicly displayed as some of the others on here. Loops in every system but that price im sure is still way over wholesale. Dont ever let a vendor come across like they are some type of victom. Usually the small guy trying to help the real members out is the one getting screwed. If this happens it wont happen through this forum the admins will put to rest a gb thread upon Vendor complaints. Yet again the politics. My 25 cents.

p.s. I'm not knocking all vendors I know some of them do quite a bit for the community but this will be a clear as day example of smutting a small guy

Last edited by IceBurnzTT; 05-27-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:10 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by IceBurnzTT
...Dont ever let a vendor come across like they are some type of victom. Usually the small guy trying to help the real members out is the one getting screwed. If this happens it wont happen through this forum the admins will put to rest a gb thread upon Vendor complaints. Yet again the politics. My 25 cents.
Whoa.... I think you totally missed my point. This site, like many others has some specific rules about who may start a group buy. I was just trying to make sure the original poster understood those rules before sinking a lot of effort into a GB.

Personally, I have never received a complaint from a vendor about a GB. They don't have to, they know the rules, we know the rules and expect everybody to live by them.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:17 PM
nyc350z

Old 05-27-2006, 07:33 PM
dovla

Originally Posted by undrgnd
i'm interested. I'd want to pay $575.
+2

LOL. Why panic?

Can’t we noobs have some fun also?
Old 05-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
And they will not honor warranties until you tell them where you purchased the UTEC, and produce an invoice. Anything less than $940 on the invoice...and you are on your own. A good vendor, like Z1, will usually spend about 1-2 hours on the phone with each customer that buys a UTEC, providing tech support, base maps, help..whatever. This isnt an appropriate item for a GB, IMHO, due to the heavy customer service commitment required.
Hmmm...... Ya know? That sounds about right. I recall when I had my UTEC install by AAM and then made a call to TurboXS regarding technical questions, the first thing they asked me was "Where did you purchase it from and where did you have it installed?" Then I had to give them the SN off the side of the box before they would even get around to answering my question. I wouldn't call them the friendliest shop I've ever dealt with which is why I will only deal with the guys at AAM for my UTEC needs.
My bet is that TurboXS is just looking for someone to give them a reason to void a warranty.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Zincognito

heck, why not. count me in
Old 05-28-2006, 02:10 AM
Cannysage

why isn't any vendors stepping up? I'm interested if the price is right. If not, I'll wait til end of the year.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:37 AM
Havok_RLS2

You guys must not be reading the entire thread again.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:45 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
You guys must not be reading the entire thread again.
Or, at a minimum go back and read post #22 by Sharif:
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...2&postcount=22
Old 05-28-2006, 04:53 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

regardless of what you pay for it, if you get it from anyone other than an authorized dealer, don't expect any tech support, nor warranty support; both of which are extremely important on a product such as this. TXS cannot dictate what people sell it for, but they can dictate what it is advertised for.

Every UTEC has a serial # on it, and can be traced back to the original dealer/supplier. When you contact TXS, or your vendor, for tech support, which inevitably you will do, that will be the first questions asked: where did you get the unit from, and show us a copy of your invoice.

As sharif said, if a customer has a receipt showing less than MAP, but it is part of an overal project of course TXS will cut the dealer slack. We've had quite a few units go to people who bought alot more than just a UTEC at one time, and as such, we were able to work even better-than-normal pricing for them

This is a VERY support-heavy product. It is not a plug it in, and forget it piece. It requires time, understanding and a working knowledge of how an engine works. Regardless of what dealer you get it from, make sure the person selling it to you IS a dealer, and has a working knowledge of the unit on a Z, or you'll be left out in the cold. A UTEC is a great piece, and I love the one we run in my own car. However, without the tech support of your dealer/TXS, it becomes a very expensive paperweight.

IceBurntTT - I hear what you are saying, but this is not a simple front lip spoiler that requires no after sale support. We spend an average of 2 hours per customer in pre and post tech support with a new UTEC customer. Show me a supplier, in any industry, who is going to have the knowledge, expertiese, and time to spend on that pre and post sale tech support without there being a profit involved.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 05-28-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:06 PM
sflg35
Sponsor
KP Technologies

hey guys, sorry for my lapse. i have been out of town since i made the post.
i understand what sharif saying about the warranty and stuff, as well as z1 about the tech support. i was really just tryin to see if there was any interest. if the time comes and the group buy if it happens, i will make sure to post it in the right areas. i was really just tryin to see what people would be willing to pay and how many would be interested in it.
i am not a utec dealer and havent really thought about becoming one either