Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Too many Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:15 AM
spratocaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too many Options

Do you ever feel like there are way too many choices out there. I am currently struggling with what to do about getting some more power under the hood. I am looking to build a car for club sport/daily driving (in the summer) but I am really unable to make up my mind what to do. Since my goal is to race the car weekends and drive it during the week, I am not so much concerned about peak horsepower gains. I am looking for a balanced car with usable power for the track and not necissarily a white knuckled sideways quarter mile. I have been reading a lot of good information on this site about a lot of the options out there, but I'm just not sure. Here is what I was thinking, and what my goals are. Any feedback would be appreciated.

OPTION 1: STAY NA
- All bolt-ons (intake, cat-back, hf cats, headers, plenum, etc...)
- Fuel System Upgrade
- 3.9 FD with clutch type LSD
- Build the motor for 13:1 compression
- Balance and blue print
- Engine Managment (UTEC)
- Aggressive Cams
- Upgrade the Valve Train
- Clutch and flywheel upgrade

I have to say that I like this option, though I have seen that a lot of people that go down this road regret it. I know it is expensive, and will probably only yeild around 300whp. I seem to think that at this level of build, reliability is similar to FI. Though it has the advantages of being very responsive and well balanced for the track.

OPTION 2: VORTECH SC
- Fuel System Upgrade
- Keep Stock gears but add LSD
- Vortech Kit with Pulley Upgrade

This option seems like the happy medium. It should result in good gains (380+whp) and still retain a decent amount of reliability. It is also the cheapest of the group. I am wondering how it is for the track or autox.

OPTION 3: JWT TT
- Fuel System Upgrade
- Gearing is a big question (3.5 or drop to 3.3) but definitely add LSD
- JWT TT Kit
- Build Motor for stronger botoom end and less compression

This definitly has the most power, but is also the most expensive. I am concerned with turbo lag and balance on the track. I'm not really looking for throttle induced power slides. I would be looking at moderate boost levels for around 450whp. Is it worth the expense for only moderate boost?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:53 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What mods do you have to date?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by spratocaster
OPTION 2: VORTECH SC
- Fuel System Upgrade
- Keep Stock gears but add LSD
- Vortech Kit with Pulley Upgrade

This option seems like the happy medium. It should result in good gains (380+whp) and still retain a decent amount of reliability. It is also the cheapest of the group. I am wondering how it is for the track or autox.

OPTION 3: JWT TT
- Fuel System Upgrade
- Gearing is a big question (3.5 or drop to 3.3) but definitely add LSD
- JWT TT Kit
- Build Motor for stronger botoom end and less compression

This definitly has the most power, but is also the most expensive. I am concerned with turbo lag and balance on the track. I'm not really looking for throttle induced power slides. I would be looking at moderate boost levels for around 450whp. Is it worth the expense for only moderate boost?

If you can afford option 3 then go for it. I had the vortech and it wasn't the happy medium for me. I had it uninstalled and went TT after only 3 weeks as a Vortech owner. TT gets my vote. 450whp from a TT has a lot different feeling from 400whp from a s/c so yes it is worth the expense IMO.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
spratocaster

Originally Posted by davidv
What mods do you have to date?
Currently the only mods I have are wheels and tires. I plan to update the suspesion and breaking shortly. That leaves engine. I don't want to do any upgrades that I'll have to take off later, so once I have a plan I would like to stick with it.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:42 AM
spratocaster

Originally Posted by Gman2004
If you can afford option 3 then go for it. I had the vortech and it wasn't the happy medium for me. I had it uninstalled and went TT after only 3 weeks as a Vortech owner. TT gets my vote. 450whp from a TT has a lot different feeling from 400whp from a s/c so yes it is worth the expense IMO.
How woul dyou describe the difference in feel between your SC and TT? Also, do you track the car? If so, do you find the lag a problem? I am worried that a sudden rush of torque in a corner, may mess with the balance of the car.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by spratocaster
How woul dyou describe the difference in feel between your SC and TT? Also, do you track the car? If so, do you find the lag a problem? I am worried that a sudden rush of torque in a corner, may mess with the balance of the car.
The feeling is night and day. I am not saying the vortech was a slouch, but it was just to linear for my taste. Also all the power was made in the higher rpms as compared to TT's make power and tq down low.

I don't track my car, but a lot of the guys that track are going with the JWT because of the insanely quick spool time. Lag is non-existent with any of the TT kits, especially the JWT.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Gman2004

what don't you start a thread to solicit vortech owners and TT owners in your area for a ride in their cars? If I would have gotten a ride in a TT Z/G I would have never bought my vortech.