Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Finally Cosworth Heads!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:36 AM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The exhaust port valves are Inconel coated right ?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The valves are 1.2mm oversized, rather than 1mm. Exhuast valves are made from inconel, and comes with dual valve springs, Ti retainers, and all the other good stuff.

Heads are complete and ready to go. Only thing needed is a camshaft.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:00 PM
ReavTek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Philthy
Guys, are you forgetting the Dave did the Performance Motorsports heads? There are cars running over 1800hp with Dave’s heads. On my old motor I made over 125 more hp when we slapped on Dave's heads and those weren't his race heads, they were street heads.

Go with what you want - Cosworth is a good company, and Dave is know as one of the best head guys in the world. Dave has dozens of cars running his heads and making a ton of power - Cosworth has just shipped their first set of heads...

What's your supporting info, a flow chart - lol just stop... Let's just wait and see how they perform.
125 more HP from heads alone with no cams, on a stock Z/G? That's crazy! How much do they run?

Edit: The Cosworth heads look very clean and I'm eagerly awaiting the results. What kind of cams are you going to run (specs)?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Originally Posted by ReavTek
125 more HP from heads alone with no cams, on a stock Z/G? That's crazy! How much do they run?

Edit: The Cosworth heads look very clean and I'm eagerly awaiting the results. What kind of cams are you going to run (specs)?
We are using JWT cams and it's on a built motor forced induction car. I told Sharif that I wouldn't add anymore information on this topic, so you should call the respective companies for more information.

In closing, I'm certain that many will be happy with the Cosworth heads, and their performance will soon be known. HeadGames has been deep into the VQ heads for years now, and have a wealth of experience that has changed what they do and use in the heads to make them work best.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:21 PM
rednezz

Originally Posted by ReavTek

I plan on running the biggest cams I can find. I would like to do something around 286 or higher on the intake and 268 on the exhaust. I want to get something with 11.5mm lift but I would settle for 11mm lift.

The Cosworth heads are designed for both NA or FI so hopefully they will help put me over the 300 rwhp mark.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:45 PM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by rednezz
I plan on running the biggest cams I can find. I would like to do something around 286 or higher on the intake and 268 on the exhaust. I want to get something with 11.5mm lift but I would settle for 11mm lift.

The Cosworth heads are designed for both NA or FI so hopefully they will help put me over the 300 rwhp mark.
11:1 compression and a UTEC will prolly put you even further above 300whp
Old 05-31-2006, 01:14 PM
rednezz

I plan on doing high compression also. For me to pick up 300 rwhp I will have to gain at least 44 rwhp from where I am at now. I think tuning is going to be the most important thing to achive the 300 mark.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Havok_RLS2

As GOD is my witness..... I WILL HAVE THESE HEADS BEFORE ANY TURBO TOUCHES THE BLOCK OF MY MOTOR.... So Help me GOD.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:30 PM
dscheers

Originally Posted by rednezz
I plan on doing high compression also. For me to pick up 300 rwhp I will have to gain at least 44 rwhp from where I am at now. I think tuning is going to be the most important thing to achive the 300 mark.
I can only think of a one word response that is totally appropiate here: DUH
Old 05-31-2006, 01:37 PM
rednezz

Originally Posted by dscheers
I can only think of a one word response that is totally appropiate here: DUH

True, but I remember a couple of people on this board that hit close to 285 rwhp with cams and all the boltons and no tuning. For those guys they could probably hit 300 with just the heads and pistons. For me it won't be that easy. LOL

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
As GOD is my witness..... I WILL HAVE THESE HEADS BEFORE ANY TURBO TOUCHES THE BLOCK OF MY MOTOR.... So Help me GOD.

+1
Old 05-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
Amen.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:31 PM
royce so

Originally Posted by Philthy
We are using JWT cams and it's on a built motor forced induction car. I told Sharif that I wouldn't add anymore information on this topic, so you should call the respective companies for more information.

In closing, I'm certain that many will be happy with the Cosworth heads, and their performance will soon be known. HeadGames has been deep into the VQ heads for years now, and have a wealth of experience that has changed what they do and use in the heads to make them work best.
pm doesn't use dave's heads on their pro rwd car. none of the big time s/c drag guys actually use his heads anymore and he actually sponsors drag teams. and the ones that did use his stuff, like bullish, were down on power vs. other cars in the class. look at george ioannou, dave did bullish's heads for years and george won't let him touch his vq heads for his pro g35. it's great that you're happy with his stuff, but he's not the god you make him out to be.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:10 PM
HeadGames

I thank you Phil for the cheerleading..I know some have done the same when you posted some pics of your heads, talking about there own or just bought heads...but we can not say things that are untrue..I did a mild street port for Performance Motorsport..but we no longer do there heads, this is something that keeps coming up..Baddass Vinny Ten( ) does there heads and there whole engine program. Vinny works his *** off and certainly don't want it to look like I am taking credit for it. I think Vinny deserves that.

In my opinion on the comparison, you can't really compare the two because looking at the port it's on the small side and the fact they use a stock cast iron guide you can tell this head was not developed for the high boost stuff like your heads Phil with the maganese bronze guides and bigger port.. It would make a great street N/A street head or work well with a small turbo. Although one thing I have learned over the years is the stock VQ guides don't like heat and crack with even small turbo's.

And just for a thought, Vinny went over the street heads I did for PM and made them more of a race port with STOCK size valve made 12 or 1300+rwhp. and went 8.20's. Stock size valves. a testimate that bigger is not always better, even when it sounds cooler to say you got them. But with the all motor deal I think the advantage would go to the big valve head, as long as it has a big bore and big cam to take full advantage of them.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:19 PM
g356gear

They took a ton of material out of those intake ports compared to stock!!

What are these heads worth?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:24 PM
dscheers

So you are saying that in your opinion the Cosworth heads are N/A heads? That they also "might" work well with a small turno? What do you call small? Do you mean Low Boost? How low? And how about S/Cs ?

Thanks

Danny

Originally Posted by HeadGames
I thank you Phil for the cheerleading..I know some have done the same when you posted some pics of your heads, talking about there own or just bought heads...but we can not say things that are untrue..I did a mild street port for Performance Motorsport..but we no longer do there heads, this is something that keeps coming up..Baddass Vinny Ten( ) does there heads and there whole engine program. Vinny works his *** off and certainly don't want it to look like I am taking credit for it. I think Vinny deserves that.

In my opinion on the comparison, you can't really compare the two because looking at the port it's on the small side and the fact they use a stock cast iron guide you can tell this head was not developed for the high boost stuff like your heads Phil with the maganese bronze guides and bigger port.. It would make a great street N/A street head or work well with a small turbo. Although one thing I have learned over the years is the stock VQ guides don't like heat and crack with even small turbo's.

And just for a thought, Vinny went over the street heads I did for PM and made them more of a race port with STOCK size valve made 12 or 1300+rwhp. and went 8.20's. Stock size valves. a testimate that bigger is not always better, even when it sounds cooler to say you got them. But with the all motor deal I think the advantage would go to the big valve head, as long as it has a big bore and big cam to take full advantage of them.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 PM
dscheers

Originally Posted by g356gear
They took a ton of material out of those intake ports compared to stock!!

What are these heads worth?
Cosworth heads sell for around 4.2K I believe
Old 05-31-2006, 08:47 PM
dscheers

Hope you can get back to me. If the phone doesn't work, just PM me...

I heared some negative stuff about the Ferrea valves. A friend of mine had his break (actual valve came of th stem). He did add that this happened with Ferrea "two-part" valves and that he never has had any problems with the "one-piecers". Of course now I would like to know if the valves used are one or two pieces ?

Thanks

Danny

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
The valves are 1.2mm oversized, rather than 1mm. Exhuast valves are made from inconel, and comes with dual valve springs, Ti retainers, and all the other good stuff.

Heads are complete and ready to go. Only thing needed is a camshaft.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to see what these do.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:25 AM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by Armitage
Can't wait to see what these do.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:12 AM
HeadGames

Originally Posted by dscheers
So you are saying that in your opinion the Cosworth heads are N/A heads? That they also "might" work well with a small turno? What do you call small? Do you mean Low Boost? How low? And how about S/Cs ?

Thanks

Danny
In my opinion yes. And most N/A heads also perform well under boosted applications. I know you can make 650-700 with that port design but in my opinion I don't run anything with a turbo/blower/nos with a cast iron guide. I don't know how much boost or how big of a turbo,we have just seen to many boosted stock heads that had the tips of the guide (port side) crack or break off to run cast.. Maybe they replace the guide with a better cast iron then factory, I am not sure, or maybe it's an option with them to pay for the bronze?

That head would EASILY put someone over that 300rwhp+ with a good all motor set up.

All Ferrea valves are made as a one piece forging. Almost every aftermarket exhaust valve is inconel, but the difference is Ferrea is a different grade. The Ferrea valve is made from a material called numonic 90 which is the newest generation of iconel. The older material is called EV8 which is what most other manufactures use.

Last edited by HeadGames; 06-01-2006 at 05:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally Cosworth Heads!