Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Question? ACT 6 puck clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:49 PM
priscilla ls1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question? ACT 6 puck clutch kit

Does anyone have this kit installed in there ride? I would like to know what kind of feel this clutch has. I hear stories that this clutch kit is horrible and is a pain to drive with. and that it feals nothing like stock. I could not find this question and answer on a search I just need a quick reply thanks.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:19 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
Does anyone have this kit installed in there ride? I would like to know what kind of feel this clutch has. I hear stories that this clutch kit is horrible and is a pain to drive with. and that it feals nothing like stock. I could not find this question and answer on a search I just need a quick reply thanks.
I think MIAPLAYA just installed an ACT clutch, PM him to see if it was a 6 puck.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is planned for the car that you feel you need the 6 puck as opposed to the normal full radius street/strip version (which drives wonderfully BTW!)
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 PM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
What is planned for the car that you feel you need the 6 puck as opposed to the normal full radius street/strip version (which drives wonderfully BTW!)
I got a PETT kit fully built engine pushing around 400hp. installing next week this clutch and a nismo flywheel but I have been getting mixed reviews on my clutch choise. I chose this clutch because it held more tq for the money. But now I am thinking about going with a jim wolf.

Last edited by priscilla ls1; 06-13-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

with that type of power there is no need for the 6 puck - the standard street disk, which is a full radius disk with a sprung hub (read, very very nice to drive) supports ~517 ft lbs of torque, will be more than enough.

ACT also offers a sprung 6 puck, which is quite easy to drive (previous versions were solid hub, which are a bit nasty). This one is good to ~580 ft lbs.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:50 AM
MIAPLAYA

I agree for that power you dont need anything above a street disc. I have the ACT street setup in my Turbonetics Z and IMHO its outstanding. Slips decently enough but certainly has a better feel then stock. I didn't know ACT had a sprung 6 puck hub for the Z already. The street clutch will hold 519 ft/lb and if the 6 puck sprung hub only holds another 70 more ft/lb its not worth the trade off in my opinion. and yes I've driven 6 pucks before. The street disc is your best bet. Its been fantastic for me. Don't forget to order the ACT Prolite flywheel too. So far of all the setups I've driven the ACT Street Clutch kit/ACT Prolite flywheel has been the nicest setup yet. Least noise with best performance..
Old 06-14-2006, 08:56 AM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
with that type of power there is no need for the 6 puck - the standard street disk, which is a full radius disk with a sprung hub (read, very very nice to drive) supports ~517 ft lbs of torque, will be more than enough.

ACT also offers a sprung 6 puck, which is quite easy to drive (previous versions were solid hub, which are a bit nasty). This one is good to ~580 ft lbs.

Im sorry but I am going into the 600hp range soon after my fuel upgrade and dont want to replace my clutch with a better one. That is why I got the 6 puck ACT clutch.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:54 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cerametallic disc will just grab harder... wont beable to slip the clutch like you can the stock (feather or how ever you want to call it)...

pedal feel will be the same... just the engaugement will happen quicker...

the sprung cerametallic disc's help lessen the harshness of when the clutch engauges but it still engauges quickly with no slipping...

only use a ceramettalic clutch for racing / drag racing... you will not like daily driving in traffic much at all... and will pay for it sooner then later when replacing the burnt up flywheel and disc in 1/4 of the time you would a copper organic blend disc...
Old 06-15-2006, 10:40 AM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
the cerametallic disc will just grab harder... wont beable to slip the clutch like you can the stock (feather or how ever you want to call it)...

pedal feel will be the same... just the engaugement will happen quicker...

the sprung cerametallic disc's help lessen the harshness of when the clutch engauges but it still engauges quickly with no slipping...

only use a ceramettalic clutch for racing / drag racing... you will not like daily driving in traffic much at all... and will pay for it sooner then later when replacing the burnt up flywheel and disc in 1/4 of the time you would a copper organic blend disc...
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:16 AM
ChrisM1386

-I got the act 6 puck clutch and street lite flywheel to replace my EXEDY stage 1 setup, and wish I had just replaced what I had.
It's like an ON/OFF switch-great for launches, but absolutely horrible for daily driving when you want nice smooth engagements for smooth starts.
The engagement is very hard and in your face, which is great for racing and to make you feel all that power you have under the hood, but not so good when you're heading to or from work, the store, or anytime that you have to deal with traffic-(which for most of us is all the time)-
Also the post about how it will burn up quickly when feathering it to drive the car like a normal human being is 100% right-I already need to replace it after only 7 months, needless to say this time I'm going for non puck solid disc, am either going with the EXEDY, or jwt.
-so to sum up my experience with the act 6 puck;
IF YOU'RE EVER GOING TO DRIVE YOU'RE Z ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THE TRACK OR STRIP DO NOT PUT THIS CLUTCH IN IT, YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH HOW IT DRIVES, OR THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE TO REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING ELSE WITHIN A YEAR.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:03 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Was your 6-puck ACT clutch sprung?

Originally Posted by ChrisM1386
-I got the act 6 puck clutch and street lite flywheel to replace my EXEDY stage 1 setup, and wish I had just replaced what I had.
It's like an ON/OFF switch-great for launches, but absolutely horrible for daily driving when you want nice smooth engagements for smooth starts.
The engagement is very hard and in your face, which is great for racing and to make you feel all that power you have under the hood, but not so good when you're heading to or from work, the store, or anytime that you have to deal with traffic-(which for most of us is all the time)-
Also the post about how it will burn up quickly when feathering it to drive the car like a normal human being is 100% right-I already need to replace it after only 7 months, needless to say this time I'm going for non puck solid disc, am either going with the EXEDY, or jwt.
IF YOU'RE EVER GOING TO DRIVE YOU'RE Z ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THE TRACK OR STRIP DO NOT PUT THIS CLUTCH IN IT, YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH HOW IT DRIVES, OR THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE TO REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING ELSE WITHIN A YEAR.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 PM
ChrisM1386

Yup
Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

If you're already replacing the clutch after only 7 months then you're either slipping it way too much when daily driving or maybe your clutch isn't disengaging all the way and it's constantly wearing out little by little. Either way, you shouldn't have to replace it that soon and something's wrong. Use your common sense: who would make a street clutch that needs to be replaced twice a year?

I'm not sure who said you have to feather the hell out of it to "drive normal," but you must suck at driving manuals. Why would you need to slip so much if you knew how to drive in the first place? Plus, how do you not learn how to drive your own car after a driving on the new clutch for a day? All that just means that you don't know how to properly drive and you're just giving way too much gas trying to let the clutch catch, which is taking far too long.

I also had the Exedy Stage 1 clutch before replacing it with ACT 6 puck sprung hub. It's been well over 2 years and mine's still going strong. It definitely does grab pretty hard as the engagement is quicker, but it could be worse. I drove through Chicago traffic everyday so I know it's not the most pleasant clutch, but it's not as bad as some of these guys are making it out to be.

BTW, my car spends a lot of time on the road and at autox/track events, so I'm almost certain I put more miles and abused it more than you did.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:33 AM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

south bend also offers pretty much anything you could need, mine is rated to 800 ft lbs of torque and i only paid 1k for the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, release and pilot bearing as well as stainless clutch line and chromoly pivot ball though concept z its also a full faced single disc, cant tell yah how it drives yet but pressure needed to release it dosnt seem any greater then stock
Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
I got a PETT kit fully built engine pushing around 400hp. installing next week this clutch and a nismo flywheel but I have been getting mixed reviews on my clutch choise. I chose this clutch because it held more tq for the money. But now I am thinking about going with a jim wolf.

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-07-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 AM
ChrisM1386

It's slipping pretty bad, doesn't grab, or transfer the power anywhere near what it did after it was first installed. Could go another 6+ months before it NEEDS to be replaced, but just doesnt transfer the power like it used to, so that kinda sucks.
And, maybe I do "suck at driving manuals" compared to some,-(this is my first standard)-, but I never had problems like this with the full face EXEDY, or the stock clutch, since 2005, so.....

-thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 AM
ChrisM1386

BTW, when you work between 65-80 hours a week, you don't exactly have the time to drive around a few hours to "learn" your new setup-no, you'd be better off with catching up on laundry, grocery shopping, yard work, cleaning the house, repairing whatever needs it around the house, and maybe sleep. Lol
Old 06-07-2012, 04:00 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisM1386

What a thread bump. And that last statement is completely false. My 6 puck was fine in my Z and was boosted. Not sure what you did wrong.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:36 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

I honestly think it may have been installed wrong or maybe you're slipping the clutch way too much to get off the line. There's no reason why it doesn't grab like it should after only half a year of light daily driving.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM
DaveJackson
Master
Premier Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Glad to hear more positive reviews. I will eventually be installing ShowTimeRay's sloppy second's clutch and I didn't want it to turn out like shat.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

What do you mean already? The Z's been out since 2003 and it's 2012.

Quick Reply: Question? ACT 6 puck clutch kit