Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anyone looking into lightening the car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Jergens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone looking into lightening the car?

Has anyone looked into possible ways to drop some weight from the Z? at 3,200 lbs she sure isn't a light weight, and I think finding some way to strip out some unneeded weight can go a long way. Example. In BMW 3 series, you can strip out insulation and lose a good amount of weight. I forget the exact numbers I will see if I can find out. Not to say I am going to turn the interior into a cage but was just wondering if anyone knew of any process to lighten up the car a bit.

~Josh
Old 02-18-2003, 05:23 PM
vova151

I can lose about 200lbs if I just stay out of it.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:31 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sadly there isnt much sound proofing in the car to start with. the door panels are thick, but nothing you could remove.

Im really not sure where all the weight is located, thats the first step to knowing how to remove it.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:15 AM
menehune

remove spare tire, change the battery to a lighter version, less than a full tank of gas, and get rid of the passenger
Old 02-19-2003, 01:32 AM
integrate

I'm going with...

JIC Ti Exhaust - 12 lbs (lose 36 lbs)
Titanium Y-pipe - 10 lbs roughly (lose 12 lbs)
Volk GT-Ns - 76 lbs total estimate (roughly lose 25-30
lbs. I have heavy stock chromed 17s)
Lightweight battery - 12 lbs (lose about 30 lbs. This will probably
only be for the track)
Lighter Sparco Seat - 15 lbs (no idea stock seat weight)

That's probably about 120+ lbs lost. Then I'll probably do some carbon fiber here and there, and lose some more pounds.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:44 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbon fiber pantera style rear hutch will loose you more than 50lbs.

Old 02-19-2003, 08:10 AM
nwind21

Default Re: Anyone looking into lightening the car?

Originally posted by Jergens
Has anyone looked into possible ways to drop some weight from the Z? at 3,200 lbs she sure isn't a light weight, and I think finding some way to strip out some unneeded weight can go a long way. Example. In BMW 3 series, you can strip out insulation and lose a good amount of weight. I forget the exact numbers I will see if I can find out. Not to say I am going to turn the interior into a cage but was just wondering if anyone knew of any process to lighten up the car a bit.

~Josh
Another user Dwnshft races his Z. He was able to cut the weight down to 2900 w/ roll cage. But from what I've heard nearly everything is out... and from what I remember him saying a lot of the weight is the plastic trim.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:40 AM
djkern
Banned

Default no thanks...

"Carbon fiber pantera style rear hutch will loose you more than 50lbs.

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=172799"
posted by vlad

i hope you aren't planning on getting this! it would turn your car into a fiero! or maybe even an IROC! that thing has to be the worst rear hutch i've seen! no offense to you..but i think it's pretty nasty!
Old 02-19-2003, 08:49 AM
Vlad

Default Re: no thanks...

Originally posted by djkern
"Carbon fiber pantera style rear hutch will loose you more than 50lbs.

https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....&postid=172799"
posted by vlad

i hope you aren't planning on getting this! it would turn your car into a fiero! or maybe even an IROC! that thing has to be the worst rear hutch i've seen! no offense to you..but i think it's pretty nasty!
What you expected from 5 minute photoshop? That was just to show the idea. Real thing could look much better, and be color-matched.

Yes, I'd get it if somebody will produse such a hatch.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:00 AM
djkern
Banned

cool photoshop...good job on it...but why not keep the window? why put on the vented slot look?? if you are going for the "take out the heavy window" idea....why not put in a smaller one (like the Z3's have) instead of that vented look?? could be nice...would need to paint it of course...but my $0.02 is to get rid of those vents....looks too 80's. (not taking shots at you...just my opinion).
Old 02-19-2003, 11:08 AM
ares
Veteran

the change in hatch design eludes me. you could reduce the weight just as much by replacing the metal with carbon fiber, and the glass with plexiglass, car appears identical to stock, and loses alot of weight.

sadly that plan wasnt really thought through, since theres a strut bar there, meaning you cant drop the trunk down.

Id bet no one here would want to drive around in a car that had weight removed, the weight is in the things we enjoy, the trim, stereo, AC, HEAT, Power everything, ect. if you want to lose weight, remove all of this. personally Ill accept the weight, and maybe try and remove some through mods like integrate listed.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Vlad

yes, small window to save weight. Size and angle on picture is optimal (minimum weight) to keep current field of vision.

Louvers is an idea. Unlike most bodykits they are functional. Since sun from the rear could be problem when window is so close to the driver. On the other hand you can just tint the window.

Ares, I don't see what you talking about. Strut bar isn't problem at all. Hatch WILL clear it. Remember, that it's goin to be very thin - no plastic panel on inside. And it'll have some slope in it. It's not parallel to the ground. Otherwise window will be too big. Probably the plastic panels around strutbar will go. I don't mind - if it's not seen, I don't care.

Check picture
(LOOK BELOW GIRL)

Last edited by Vlad; 02-19-2003 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:56 PM
menehune

I see you got the optional "stick" warmer.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:03 PM
DLin05

ive wanted to lose weight off my car without takin too much of the luxuries out, seeing as i have a tournin with everything but nav that cancels out how much i weigh myself (im pretty lightweight)....intergrate...nice post...can you tell me anything about the power gains and sound of the JIC Ti exhaust?? oh last thought....we wouldnt really have to worry about weight if we just gain alot of hp...
Old 02-19-2003, 02:48 PM
Zrated

Hey Vlad, I see you like that design check this out...
http://www.arizonazcar.com/decks.html
Arizona Z cars 280Z pantera style hatch
I bet if there was enough interest Dave would look into making one fot the 350Z, maybe out of CF.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:02 PM
ares
Veteran

anyway, power gain can combat weight, but weight is your best way to increase handling, tread, and suspension can only go so far, eventually you have to lessen the load on the rubber to increase your cornering ability.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:21 PM
integrate

Originally posted by DLin05
ive wanted to lose weight off my car without takin too much of the luxuries out, seeing as i have a tournin with everything but nav that cancels out how much i weigh myself (im pretty lightweight)....intergrate...nice post...can you tell me anything about the power gains and sound of the JIC Ti exhaust?? oh last thought....we wouldnt really have to worry about weight if we just gain alot of hp...
Power wise, people who have seen this exhaust on other cars say this exhaust should add about 7-8 rwhp, but I don't know anyone who has bought it. I'm basically buying it for weight and any extra power from it will be a plus. For sound, it will probably be loud. Titanium exhausts are always loud.

I know that some S2000 members have this exhaust and they say that it's a very loud exhaust.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:39 PM
flyz33

our z's could be a force at the drag strip with less weight, slicks, and nos. I might do all this one day. Good thread
Old 02-20-2003, 06:31 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by Zrated
Hey Vlad, I see you like that design check this out...
http://www.arizonazcar.com/decks.html
Arizona Z cars 280Z pantera style hatch
I bet if there was enough interest Dave would look into making one fot the 350Z, maybe out of CF.
Yes, I've seen it. And I like it a lot. That was one of the prototypes for my simulation.

The problem is that one was BONDED to original hatch, so no real weigh savings was there. In case with our Z, hatch is much bigger surface/metal amount. So weight savings could be huge. I don't see any technical difficulties of implementing it. Hope somebody will eventually do it.