Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

I need true Z mechanics on this one

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:20 AM
rollin350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need true Z mechanics on this one

Ok so I have an 03 350z.. It has crawford hi flow cats, Popcharger, and nismo exhaust. I was driving it hard, and the engine blew.. 2 of the cylinders are not getting compression. Im Like what the ****... OK I brought it to nissan under warranty thinking ok they are gonna through a new engine in it... Now they are saying that the Hi flow cats are the cause for the problem, and that one of them went out, and particals went into the engine?

IS THIS POSSIBLE? Please give me reasons why, or whynot! I need to know whats up.. Any info is very greatly appriciated..... greatly!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:55 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rollin350z
Ok so I have an 03 350z.. It has crawford hi flow cats, Popcharger, and nismo exhaust. I was driving it hard, and the engine blew.. 2 of the cylinders are not getting compression. Im Like what the ****... OK I brought it to nissan under warranty thinking ok they are gonna through a new engine in it... Now they are saying that the Hi flow cats are the cause for the problem, and that one of them went out, and particals went into the engine?

IS THIS POSSIBLE? Please give me reasons why, or whynot! I need to know whats up.. Any info is very greatly appriciated..... greatly!
First of all, let me start by saying sorry your motor blew. Second, the high flow cats cannot cause your motor to blow. If anything was broken in there, you would hear rattling in your exhaust. The exhaust pressure will try to force it out, not in.

There is no way broken pieces inside the cats can cause a motor to blow. Tell them you want proof, with pictures of course proving that was the case. It just sounds like they don't want to replace it under warranty thats all.

Good luck
Old 06-28-2006, 08:28 AM
rollin350z

exactly! thats why im lookin for info to give them.. Thanks.. more knowledge please
Old 06-28-2006, 08:30 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would just get a lawyer to write them a letter.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:35 AM
evoshane

I would check into to it, but I think in PA the law is that you cannot legally replaced a catalytic converter without it failing. This is the leverage that they will probably try to use to get out of replacing your motor.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:40 AM
MIAPLAYA

Well...althought I doubt this would happen on a Z the nationwide recall on the QR25 powered Nissan cars is a result of the close coupled cat converter having issues with the catalyst material breaking apart and being sucked into the cylinders and killing the motor...this is a long time issue for the QR25.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:45 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnussen-Moss Act of 1978 says the manufacturer has to prove the malfunction was caused by the driver or the part(s) that were installed.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:54 AM
G352NV

Put the stock cats on and take it to another dealer.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 AM
rollin350z

I dont think that would fly..
Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by G352NV
Put the stock cats on and take it to another dealer.
Probably too late for that. It's already in the computer.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:37 AM
rollin350z

I just dont think the cat had anything to do with it/
Old 06-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rollin350z

Which are the 2 cylinders lacking compression & is it blowing smoke?

If its still a runner check the fuel pressure in the rail under load.(probably difficult with 2 cyls out)

The stock pump is now 3 years old & if you are in the habit of running the tank down to near empty & on a full on power run you could have leaned right out

Throw in a long right hand turn on a near empty tank with a fuel pump thats slightly low ( only needs to be -2psi ) and she will blow

Last edited by Nathan; 06-28-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could've leaned you out a bit, but very unlikely the cause of it.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang...putting hf cats on can make ur engine blow??? possible bad install...or are they just bs-ing you? if it weren't the cats...what would it be??
Old 06-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Q45tech

When you turn the engine off blockenup pieces of the cat can and do get sucked back up the exhaust into header and can enter cylinders scoring the rings and cylinder wall.

Anyway replacing a cat is against FEDERAL Law if they have not failed and if they had failed warranty would replace them.

A tear down will show and prove what is responsible.

Your mods made it easy for Nissan to reject the warranty.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:06 AM
rollin350z

Ya hopefully they will help me out when they tear it out. Im sorry, but the cats had nothing to do with this. I reved it hard to redline, and the car just started blowing smoke. Something must have failed, but that cat really could not have been the cause of the problem.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:20 AM
Q45tech

Unfortunately the Nissan I2.5 engine is being recalled for ring problems [2 different manufacturers] and cat breakup that seem to fail as you decscribe.

Your mods just made it easy for the dealer to report to Nissan that your car had mods and easy for Nissan to reject.

Remember the dealer has nothing to do with warranty just the preliminary eyes and ears to report to ZONE executives they make the final decision.

The dealer cannot go out on a limb because Zone gets the broken parts and send to lab for inspection to help QC. The service manager has some leeway if he has good repoire, but still won't risk a $6,000 back bill for exceeding Nissan warranty reimbursement written specs.

There are only two sources of dealer service revenue: Nissan and you, dealers usually wash their hand of any obligation from selling you a car after 12,000 miles.

Be nice it can save you money.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Q45tech

Whether the cats had nothing to do with it is immaterial, you modified the car and broke EPA rules against such modifications.

If you were in California, the shop who did the CAT work could be fined $10,000 and tech lose his license. In theory you could go back to the shop who changed convertors [unless you supplied them] and get them to return to oem.

Also you commit Emission fraud if you sell the car even with a passing emissions certificate. A future owner could sue you and have the court force you to return the car to oem with brand new oem parts.

Emission tampering is no laughing matter if you get caught in many states.......some ignore it. You never know where your used car might be resold and which state laws will apply and supplement the Federal statues!

In theory selling to a dealer and then it gets resold to someone else WASHES the responsibility because dealers are EXPERTS and supposed to check emission compliance [PHYSICALLY] but this does not apply to private or even generic used car lot/auctions in some states.........

AS IS does not apply to emission tampering and is not protective for you!
Old 06-29-2006, 07:37 AM
Zhornet

you know im going throught the same thing but my engine did not blow they told me my problem is most likely the factory cats when they burned up got sucked back into the engine and messed up the walls and now it is consuming oil. one thing though is i have good raport with the service manager and he is always cool with me even with the stuff i do to it. they are in the process of getting ready to replace my engine cause i keep losing oil presure.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:53 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cats are in the exhaust system. Spent combustion gasses flow away from the engine, into the cat inlet, and out the outlet.

Exhaust gasses, or any particulate material in the exhaust system are discharged out the tailpipe. They do NOT/can NOT get "sucked back into the engine".

If exhaust gassess are getting pulled back into the combustion chamber, you have a really serious cam timing problem!

bill

Last edited by bailey bill; 06-29-2006 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: I need true Z mechanics on this one