Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Convert stock thermostat to Nismo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:13 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
My next question is it would seem that you could benefit in two different ways. Having a larger opening (i.e. no thermostat at all) and a thermostat that opens at a early temperature. Maybe if I get bored I will just look into making a whole new thermostat that has a larger opening yet has temperature operation so that you can get up to operating temps quicker for us guys in the North.
Theres another trick too. My dad has done this before on muscle cars he has restored. Take the stock thermo stat out and drill 4 rather large sized holes in the plate. This restricts the flow a little during warmup to get it warmed up faster and will also flow more (albeit not that much more) when opened as well.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Could be your rad cap isn't holding enough pressure. The whole point of pressurizing the cooling system is to aid in increasing the boiling point of the water. If the cap is not holding the right amount of pressure your boiling point has dropped. Try a new or higher pressure cap.
Hey, I'll try that; thanks for the tip! That's about the only thing I hadn't thought of and the damn thing has been driving me ape-****...
Old 07-06-2006, 12:23 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Heres a link to the performance nissan site that has the nismo thermostats, the 350z thermostat opens at 68 degrees and is much more expensive. The 300zx thermostat opens at 62 degrees and much much cheaper.

We need to confirm that they are interchangable.
I sincerely doubt they are...

Heres the 300Z tstat- http://www.mossyperformance.com/product/?id=4090]

I dont think it will bolt to the 350Z tstat housing. I dont see a way to attach it. It MIGHT be possible though...
Old 07-06-2006, 12:23 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Hey, I'll try that; thanks for the tip! That's about the only thing I hadn't thought of and the damn thing has been driving me ape-****...
Let me know how it goes...that helped on a friends car...
Old 07-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

MIAPLAYA - what are you using to monitor your temps? Like I said, completely different results for us...

We also logged the differences between the Darton MID kit and the Darton Liners, and no one wanted to believe that the MID kit ran hotter - well it does...
Old 07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Philthy
MIAPLAYA - what are you using to monitor your temps? Like I said, completely different results for us...

We also logged the differences between the Darton MID kit and the Darton Liners, and no one wanted to believe that the MID kit ran hotter - well it does...
I would have agreed with you about the Darton running hotter... as for logging on the street daily just my Autometer electric gauge and compare it to a Tectom unit that reads the stock water temp sensor. I also dyno verified both the gauge and Tectom unit on a Dynapack with a Motec system analysis unit...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Let me know how it goes...that helped on a friends car...
I will. Just ran to the store and picked up a new cap, so as soon as it cools, I'll stick it on and we'll see how it does tomorrow. Crossing fingers...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:37 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
I will. Just ran to the store and picked up a new cap, so as soon as it cools, I'll stick it on and we'll see how it does tomorrow. Crossing fingers...
Sweet...
Old 07-06-2006, 02:17 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like the 350z/G thermostat is the same except its connected to the thermostat housing and the 300zx isnt. I think you can make two holes on the 300zx thermostat and secure it onto the stock 350z housing.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:27 PM
MIAPLAYA

It looks like the 350z/G thermostat is the same except its connected to the thermostat housing and the 300zx isnt. I think you can make two holes on the 300zx thermostat and secure it onto the stock 350z housing.
Possibly. Need to make sure its the same size...
Old 07-06-2006, 03:30 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone from performance confirm this???
Old 07-06-2006, 09:18 PM
MIAPLAYA

Can anyone from performance confirm this???
I can have Mossy confirm it but it may not be till Monday.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

save your money on the NISMO t stat unless you track your car all the time or live in a SUPER hot climate, like the Mid East.

Running no t stat....zero advantage unless there was something wrong with the original t stat you had in the car. Car will take alot longer to reach operating temps (sucks for gas mileage), and the car will reach a far hotter operating temp in normal driving byt about 20-30 degrees
Old 07-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So are you saying that the cooling effeciency will go down because the water is not in the engine long enough to remove a significant amount of heat like it does when it has time to get somewhat heat soaked?

So is there a way to allow more coolant into the engine when you start reaching higher temps (like dynoing your car)? You say that the car will run hotter during operation with more coolant flow so basically there would be no benefit to having a larger thermostat or would there?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

More coolant into the engine? lots of work by way of machining the passages. larger radiator will give you more coolant storage capacity (Koyo, etc), but nothing will increase the amount of coolant going into the motor aside from enlarging the passages, which is getting into very dangerous territory unless you have a machinist with the utmost experience on this motor.

What are you trying to achieve exactly?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:27 PM
davidf

Flowing that fast thru the radiator does'nt give the radiator time to cool the coolant. This may sound old school but it's true.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
save your money on the NISMO t stat unless you track your car all the time or live in a SUPER hot climate, like the Mid East.

Running no t stat....zero advantage unless there was something wrong with the original t stat you had in the car. Car will take alot longer to reach operating temps (sucks for gas mileage), and the car will reach a far hotter operating temp in normal driving byt about 20-30 degrees
Which is contrary to the data I have collected from doing this on my own car. Theory and conjecture is great and all but put against real world testing it doesn't hold up. You can tell me thats whats going to happen till you're blue in the face, I am currently doing it on my car and the data I have is vastly different then what you are trying to tell me is happening.I've been t-sta'less since July of last year and have NEVER experienced temps higher then before I removed it. And yes I had both the Nismo AND stock t-stat before I finally pulled it for good. Niether of them yielded me temps as low as without. In fact a 15 degree DROP is what I have mostly seen.