SGP Performance Racing Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 10:42 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SGP Performance Racing Turbo

http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-sto...ssan350z2.html

SGP RACING Turbo engine kit for the 350Z! 8.5:1 Turbo Pistons, Forged Rods, Retainers, Bronze Valve Guides, and full porting packages

Looks like they are working on some cool stuff for the 350z. I know they have done alot of work on the 300zx. Interested to see what the finally numbers are.

Later
Aceman
Old 02-25-2003, 11:55 AM
Importlife.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI

I spoke with someone at SGP and the package in that link is for the listed parts only. I am an idot and assumed they were working on a turbo kit to go along with all the lowered compression pistons and forged rods.

So they should have called this the "Turbo Prep" engine kit.

But wasnt sure if anyone else made the same assumptions as me. But this is great nonetheless. Now I dont have to buy a saw and shave the pistons in my garage. JK

Pricing for the package was not available but if you look at the price of the same upgrade for the 300ZX, you are looking at roughly $3300. I guess with the cost of the twin turbo, you are gonna be spending close to $10k to do forced induction the right way.

Last edited by Importlife.com; 02-25-2003 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:34 PM
supra crazy

damn he got my hopes up to
Old 02-25-2003, 01:39 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not talk to them, but the way the site reads you would think that they are working on a turbo setup. Well damn

Later
Aceman
Old 02-25-2003, 03:31 PM
Importlife.com

this isnt really bad news. I rather buy the turbo prep kit than go to a shop and have them work on my car as the test mule. At least with SGP they know what they are doing and the parts come complete with testing.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:38 PM
350z_taquito

Originally posted by Importlife.com
I guess with the cost of the twin turbo, you are gonna be spending close to $10k to do forced induction the right way.
i don't know what you mean by the right way, but it's gonna be $10k minimum to do forced induction halfway decently. to get all the fixings here's a rough estimate:

standalone efi: $2k-$5k
rods: $800
pistons: $800
ported heads: $1k
valvetrain (valves, springs, retainers, locks, guides): $1,500
4 reground cams: $500
2 ss manifolds: $1k
ss exhaust w/ downpipes: $1,500
thick fmic w/ piping: $1500
2 turbos (depneding on size and options): $1k-$4k
fuel system: $1500
alum. intake manifold w/ tb and individual velocity stacks: $1500
dyno tune: $800
head and main studs: $500
labor: $2.5k
ignition system: $500
gauges: $100-$500
clutch: $600-$4k
misc. parts: $500

that's $19 minimum for a fully built turbocharged motor, done right. you want anything better like bigger dual bb turbos, motec computer, coatings, billet crank, billet cams, a twin or triple plate clutch and the price can shoot to well over $30k. this doesn't even include other parts needed w/ a high hp car, like bigger brakes, larger rims w/ high performance tires, bigger radiator, full suspension, etc., etc. also not included is the higher maintenance costs, higher fuel usage, higher tire wear. you get the picture. oh and i'm being verrryyyyy generous w/ labor. i'm assuming you'll get all the parts and fabrication from the same shop and they'll cut you a deal on labor.

Last edited by 350z_taquito; 02-25-2003 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:01 PM
Importlife.com

You are absolutely right. I apologize cuz I was doing my own budget with some parts from our sponsors and cheaper labor as well.

But yeh, bring $20k to play.

Originally posted by 350z_taquito
i don't know what you mean by the right way, but it's gonna be $10k minimum to do forced induction halfway decently. to get all the fixings here's a rough estimate:

standalone efi: $2k-$5k
rods: $800
pistons: $800
ported heads: $1k
valvetrain (valves, springs, retainers, locks, guides): $1,500
4 reground cams: $500
2 ss manifolds: $1k
ss exhaust w/ downpipes: $1,500
thick fmic w/ piping: $1500
2 turbos (depneding on size and options): $1k-$4k
fuel system: $1500
alum. intake manifold w/ tb and individual velocity stacks: $1500
dyno tune: $800
head and main studs: $500
labor: $2.5k
ignition system: $500
gauges: $100-$500
clutch: $600-$4k
misc. parts: $500

that's $19 minimum for a fully built turbocharged motor, done right. you want anything better like bigger dual bb turbos, motec computer, coatings, billet crank, billet cams, a twin or triple plate clutch and the price can shoot to well over $30k. this doesn't even include other parts needed w/ a high hp car, like bigger brakes, larger rims w/ high performance tires, bigger radiator, full suspension, etc., etc. also not included is the higher maintenance costs, higher fuel usage, higher tire wear. you get the picture. oh and i'm being verrryyyyy generous w/ labor. i'm assuming you'll get all the parts and fabrication from the same shop and they'll cut you a deal on labor.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:26 PM
jran76

You are absolutely right. I apologize cuz I was doing my own budget with some parts from our sponsors and cheaper labor as well.

But yeh, bring $20k to play.
I agree to an extent, but I think you can run 10 lbs of boost without too many problems. That should be good for 350 RWHP. If you want 450 HP, yeah be preparred to spend the 20 G's. It still will set you back 10 G's for a good setup without all the internals though.

I think with the proper engine management and tuning (hands down the most crucial part of a FI setup), it is possible to get close to 350-400 HP. I mean without proper tuning and management on the 20 G setup, you might as well toss it out the window.

Now is your car going to make it to 200,000 miles (I say this beacuse I have a 1997 Maxima with 150,000 miles with no problems) like it is capable of, probably not, but it should be on par with other t/c cars.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Andorion

Originally posted by jran76

Now is your car going to make it to 200,000 miles (I say this beacuse I have a 1997 Maxima with 150,000 miles with no problems) like it is capable of, probably not, but it should be on par with other t/c cars.
Does your Maxima have FI? I've never really looked into it, but how do other NA cars last with FI, without changing internals? Old Maximas would be a good starting point.... anyone frequent the the Maxima boards and know the answer? IS there really decreased reliability if you run low boost and have a proper chip?

~Berj
Old 02-26-2003, 04:57 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So they should have called this the "Turbo Prep" engine kit.
Changed

We might look into doing our own turbo kit. Greddy and PE are already putting a lot of R&D into turbo kits so we will probably wait it out and see how we can improve on their designs
Old 02-26-2003, 05:11 AM
gfornal

Well, That is a very big list you have. If anyone wanted to get the most they could out of the motor and drop 20k then that would be what they would do. You can get 450rwhp with going half of the stuff you listed. Just wait and watch.

thanks,
Greg
Old 02-26-2003, 08:00 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

good find! I may visit them this weekend, see what they can offer.

For me, I am going NA route. Meaning port and polish, install s-afc to tune the fuel map, hopefully that would give me around 300 - 320hp at the flywheel.

aftermarket Turbo is great but too many potential parts to fail... unless it's oe.

Last edited by Apexi350z; 02-26-2003 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:37 AM
350z_taquito

Originally posted by gfornal
Well, That is a very big list you have. If anyone wanted to get the most they could out of the motor and drop 20k then that would be what they would do. You can get 450rwhp with going half of the stuff you listed. Just wait and watch.

thanks,
Greg
that's why i said 10k could get you a halfway decent turbo kit, but to me that's not "done right". that 10k will only get you about 350rwhp reliably. imo the 450rwhp will be very hard to get reliably, with stock bottom end and on pump gas. your asking for a 200rwhp increase, which means you'll have to boost nearly 1 bar of boost. sooner or later you will probably crack your ring lands and i already know on which cylinders. a tt for this car is not as easy as everyone thinks. look at greddy, with all their resources they still don't have a kit developed yet. have you wondered why they have pics for every other part of their turbo kit except their manifold and turbos. it's not because they don't want other companies to copy it, it's because they're having a hard time packaging everything. the blue car is just a mock up, they don't even have the kit yet. the problem i see is that the only space there is for the turbos is low and behind the engine, where the stock cats are and where the power enterprise kit puts their turbos. but when you put them there, you have to run ic piping all the way back to the front to your fmic. that's even more stuff you have to fit btwn. the motor and frame where you barely have any space to begin with. the tt kit is possible it just takes a lot of engineering.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Importlife.com

Hey Kyle, it's me Matt. I was the one who spoke to you on the phone. You didnt mention that you guys might improve on other manufacturers kits.

Awesome. Please keep us updated. You are now on my buddylist here at my350z.com

Originally posted by Kyle(Houston)
Changed

We might look into doing our own turbo kit. Greddy and PE are already putting a lot of R&D into turbo kits so we will probably wait it out and see how we can improve on their designs