Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Jwt Sucks!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:20 AM
sugarspunZ

Received 665 Likes on 524 Posts
Angry Jwt Sucks!!! Help!!!

JWT sucks big uncircumcised donkey d!ck. I am now adding them to my **** list right next to stillen .
A week ago I got a new tranny from the dealership. When I picked up my car the mechanic (a z and import enthusiast) said that he did an adjustment to the clutch and he thinks I will like it better, and if I didn’t just bring it back and he will put it back. So basically the clutch engages lower and felt much softer, which I don’t like. So I took it back today to have him put it back to the way it was.
I come to find out that the problem with my original tranny was that pieces of the JWT pressure plate broke off and screwed up my tranny. So the mechanic put in a stock pressure plate which I now learn doesn’t really fit properly.
So, now what? My car drives ok. The tranny is extremely nothcy which I don’t like at all. I am getting my turbo installed tentatively on wed, and i need to fix this problem before then.
I also learn that the so called great JWT clutch and pressure plate are nothing more then a modified stock pressure plate and clutch. This was told to me by the mechanic at the dealership and 2 other reputable shops.
So my questions are….
1) Can I just by a different aftermarket pressure plate? If so what kind?
2) Should I just by a new clutch and pressure plate? If so what kind?
3) Does my JWT flywheel need to be resurfaced? Can it be resurfaced? Or do I need to purchase a new friction ring?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:52 AM
sugarspunZ

bump. anyone?
Old 08-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Azn_Empurio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the great JWT? :O
Old 08-05-2006, 02:27 PM
k3silk

"I also learn that the so called great JWT clutch and pressure plate are nothing more then a modified stock pressure plate and clutch. This was told to me by the mechanic at the dealership and 2 other reputable shops"

I hear the same thing i wonder what is diffrent in the clutch that makes it better. they make a nice twin turbo kit though
Old 08-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k3silk
"
they make a nice twin turbo kit though

you dunno that yet.. they just make massive power, but we shall wait and see about the dependability and durability.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JWT Pressure Plate and DIsc for 350Z is an Exedy Unit... It is not a modified stock unit...

Did you buy a new unit or a used one from someone?
Old 08-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

stock is Exedy too ^

stock is Daiken/Exedy on just about every Japanese car I can think of...
Old 08-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

different clamping force loads...

These are the 2 versions of the OE clutch there are for the 350z... the one on the right is the 03-04 version...

the JWT clutch springs should look different then the one on the right... or maybe the one on the right is a NISMO I forgot.. its an older pic... but I know for sure the one on the left is the newer 05-06 NIssan 350z clutch...
Old 08-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Exedy sucks too. I'm a fan of ACT. Had the street kit in my Evo and it was perfect! I'm not too worried about the Z right now though.
sugarspunZ: You might want to look at who is doing the install vs. blaming a reputable company. A clutch install is pretty basic. I just don't understand how a new pressure plate breaks with is installed correctly.
Too many people do half-as$ installs and when something goes wrong they blame the product company vs. the installer.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:19 PM
k3silk

Originally Posted by Cannysage
you dunno that yet.. they just make massive power, but we shall wait and see about the dependability and durability.
well i geuss "I" will find out in about a two weeks when my install is done"
Old 08-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I wouldn't say Exedy sucks by any stretch of the imagination- they are the largest OE supplier of clutches for factory and aftermarket cars, and virtually every aftermarket clutch manufacturer, from ACT to NISMO to many others, use at least one or more Exedy based components in their kits.

The trick is 1. selecting the proper clutch for the application 2. proper install and break in. Skimp or skit either of these steps, and you're bound to have a nightmare on your hands
Old 08-06-2006, 08:09 PM
ReavTek

What is the proper method for breaking in a new clutch and flywheel setup? I'm getting my ACT setup installed on tuesday.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by ReavTek
What is the proper method for breaking in a new clutch and flywheel setup? I'm getting my ACT setup installed on tuesday.
Normal driving for 500 miles. No hard launches or hard shifts. Basically go on a nice hwy road trip.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^Wrong-highway driving isnt a lot of shifting so that wont help break it in. You need to do 500 miles of driving in all conditions including city.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

a highway trip won't help break anything in, as the clutch is not really doing anything at that point

You want 400-500 miles of city driving...local roads, lots of shifting (short shifting the gears, no wide open throttle runs, no launches). This will help bed the disk material to the flywheel to ensure long life and good grip. It's essentially the same process as bedding in brakes, though the clutch does not get as hot.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Wow... See I thought the same but the mech that installed my ACT in my Evo Hwy miles will work. Thanks for the correction!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:23 PM
sugarspunZ

thanks for your help guys. i went with the ACT streed disk and heavy duty pressure plate.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Tuning Factory

Hey guys just so you know Daiken clutch(OEM manufacturer for 85% of the OEM clutch market) supply there components to both ACT, Exedy(which is Daiken), Clutch Masters, Competition Clutch, JWT, ETC........

Daiken sells there components to aftermarket companies that modify the pressure plate and rebuild there discs or EXEDY does the modifications inhouse and sells it to these companies premodified!!!!!

I am sponsered by Exedy and we do some R&D work for them............Exedy is 20 minutes up the highway from us and I can truthfully say that any clutch you will buy outside of ATS will have some component of Exedy/Daiken.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:11 PM
mistaboosta

never had good experiences with exedy, very happy with the ATS tough
Old 08-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tuning Factory
Hey guys just so you know Daiken clutch(OEM manufacturer for 85% of the OEM clutch market) supply there components to both ACT, Exedy(which is Daiken), Clutch Masters, Competition Clutch, JWT, ETC........

Daiken sells there components to aftermarket companies that modify the pressure plate and rebuild there discs or EXEDY does the modifications inhouse and sells it to these companies premodified!!!!!

I am sponsered by Exedy and we do some R&D work for them............Exedy is 20 minutes up the highway from us and I can truthfully say that any clutch you will buy outside of ATS will have some component of Exedy/Daiken.
Hit it on the head.

Quick Reply: Jwt Sucks!!! Help!!!