Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Weak links

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:36 PM
slinksZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak links

Ok, I am new to 350Z world, but have been doing a lot of research and decided what direction I want to go with my car. I have had other sports cars and know that it is best to fix the weak links before adding serious power, because it will save you money. My question is where is the weak links in the drivetrain? I know a clutch will eventually give, but have people been having problems with rearends, CV shafts etc. when they get in the 500hp range?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 AM
punish_her

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recomend a search, but you want to try the following topics:
Connecting rods
Pistons
Half shafts breaking
Clutch

These are the main point of interest when you are looking at getting over 400WHP. The stock clutch is a P.O.S. What model do you have? It makes a big diffrence too whether you an HR or early production model.

The early trannies had a few syncro issues, but the most part there are guys running 600+hp with out MT Tranny or diffy mods. Most upgrade the diffey to stick it better not because its weak. If you have an AT you will look at doing a TQ mod and/or VB mod. Search and you will see what I'm talking about.

There is a wealth of information built up over the past several years, tap into that and get real familiar with the wokings of the site. You will soon be answering questions like this by you self in no time.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:19 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your drag racing, and doing it HARD-first weak links are the axles. 500whp I think it goes without saying an upgraded clutch is in order. If your conservative out of the hole and know what your doing you wont have issues with stock axles. I have yet to hear of a rear end blowing apart/failing off the launch or a driveshaft, although I can tell you from personal experience the stock rear end when pushed hard will start to fail, peg leg on burnouts/launches, so if your into dragging an upgraded LSD wouldnt be a bad idea. The tranny, is stout and can hold tons of power-just hope you have one with no synchro issues.