Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My Progress with Cipher (charts included)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 10:07 PM
dovla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With good 93-octane gasoline, 2 degrees should not be an issue, and there is a knock sensor there. With FI would be different story. But once with half a tank of 91-octane (Sunoco mistake) I received P0303 on the road and once with bad 93-octane (corn?) I had P0300 while on Pocono track. So now that you have Cipher watch out which one of the California finest gasoline you will be pouring into your tank

Cats will probably lean you out more than plenum.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We only get 91oct around here. And 100, but that's like $5.75/gallon. You lucky bastid, with the 93

I have some updates with cipher.....

I reset the fuel maps and did some more runs. Next step: install cats (hopefully this week) and do some more runs. Then, tune.

It looks like the reset did not really touch any of the open-loop fueling (after 4k rpm), but as you can see the timing is different by about 1 degree and it's really lean early on in the closed loop part.
Attached Thumbnails My Progress with Cipher (charts included)-afr_before-after.jpg   My Progress with Cipher (charts included)-igntiming_before-after.jpg   My Progress with Cipher (charts included)-intakecam_before-after.jpg  

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 09-11-2006 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Silo

I find it strange that timing goes up at over 6k rpm... shouldn't it be going down? And then I remember the issue with non-revup engines using the MREV2 + 5/16 spacer when the power fell below stock - incidentally also at >6k rpm. Anyone care to comment?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:33 AM
dovla

Wired 24/7, you keep repeating about close-loop part and open-loop part, both at WOT, I assume. Is that a fact? Ever since I get the Cipher I was suspecting this and it was only explanation I have why would ECU cut the fuel at ~3450 rpm on my second chart in post #15. Is 4K rpm ECU border of closed/open loop at WOT, as per cams curve? None of this is in the service manual and contradicts with what is written about WOT and open loop there.

All intake cams logs that I have seen, angle went up to 37-38 degrees at 2K rpm, stayed there until 4K rpm and then gradually fall down to –2 degrees at 6K rpm and then stayed there until rev. limit. Shouldn’t ideal intake cams curve be like a straight line from 45 (?) degrees at 2K rpm falling down to -2 degrees at rev. limit?

Originally Posted by Silo
I find it strange that timing goes up at over 6k rpm... shouldn't it be going down? And then I remember the issue with non-revup engines using the MREV2 + 5/16 spacer when the power fell below stock - incidentally also at >6k rpm. Anyone care to comment?
Silo, do I remember correctly, you have NA Z with 300+ HP on the wheels?
Above 6K rpm intake cams are stable at around -2 degrees and injectors pulse is NOT raising, so I think you are right about ignition timing. I never spotted this.
I must have missed that post about loosing power on non-RevUp above 6K, please provide pointer if not too much trouble. Thanks

Can someone please suggest me a good book on NA tuning? Thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

It sounds like upRev may be working on a tuning solution that lets you tune cam timing.

I guess that would be an ideal situation for people with the revup motor...

Anyway dovla I don't know for certain about openloop/closed loop but it seems pretty solid reasoning from everything I've seen. I believe it's due to emissions since most people will be cruising at under 4k.

I suppose I could try some not-quite-WOT runs and see if it does closed loop all the way to redline. That would be a good experiment...
Old 09-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Silo
And then I remember the issue with non-revup engines using the MREV2 + 5/16 spacer when the power fell below stock - incidentally also at >6k rpm. Anyone care to comment?
Below stock?... Not possible unless something else is very wrong.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

maybe he meant rev-up going below stock up top. which is true.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:58 PM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Its essentially showing the change in relative valve overlap Vs RPM.

Maximizing fuel economy at cruising RPM and maximizing power everywhere else.
Not quite. It's showing cam angle advance relative to the crank angle. Essentially cam advance angle multiplied by two.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:07 PM
nismology1

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
So closer to zero is max overlap? Because overlap = more power right?
Nope. Exactly the opposite. The closer it gets to zero the less overlap there is. The ECU retards the intake cam at high rpm to keep the intake valve open later in the stroke. This boosts high end power by taking advantage of the inertia of the intake charge.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:25 PM
nismology1

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
you're not getting anywhere near full cam timing advance
Why do you say that?
Old 09-24-2006, 02:52 PM
dovla

Originally Posted by miamimax96
Nope. Exactly the opposite. The closer it gets to zero the less overlap there is. The ECU retards the intake cam at high rpm to keep the intake valve open later in the stroke. This boosts high end power by taking advantage of the inertia of the intake charge.
Interesting. Thanks

Last edited by dovla; 09-24-2006 at 06:00 PM. Reason: I misread miamimax96 post as ECU retards timing instead of "ECU retards the [B]intake cam[/B]"
Old 09-26-2006, 12:44 AM
dovla

miamimax96, does INTK_CAM_TIM-B1 [or B2] (Deg CA) represents value of (c) in above pic?

Originally Posted by miamimax96
...Essentially cam advance angle multiplied by two.
Why multiplied by two?

In above SM chart, OEM (c) value is –6 and mine goes up to –2 degrees, would power increase if somehow I could change it to –6 degrees above 6K rpm? And similarly, if maximum advanced cam angle is 45 degrees (big if) should it be changed to 45 degrees below 3K rpm?

Thanks

Somewhere on the net I read following:

There are two easy ways to change the characteristics of your cam. Advancing and retarding the cam can move the power band up or down a few hundred rpm. Advance for more bottom end and retard for more top end. It usually takes about a 4-degree change for a driver to feel it. The second way is to change the valve lash.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:46 PM
nismology1

Originally Posted by dovla
miamimax96, does INTK_CAM_TIM-B1 [or B2] (Deg CA) represents value of (c) in above pic?
I don't know what the first part of your post means but value C in the chart is the crank angle at which the intake valve opens. -6 means the intake valve is opening at 6 crank degrees ATDC (after top dead center).
Why multiplied by two?
Because the cipher program expresses cam angle in crank degrees. Remember that the cams spin at exactly half the speed of the crank, so if the cipher says the cam angle advance is 20 degrees, this means the VTC sprocket is advancing the cam 10 degrees. Hope that makes sense.
In above SM chart, OEM (c) value is –6 and mine goes up to –2 degrees, would power increase if somehow I could change it to –6 degrees above 6K rpm?
When you say "goes up to -2" are you referring to the cam angle?
The -6 in the chart and your -2 are two seperate values.
And similarly, if maximum advanced cam angle is 45 degrees (big if) should it be changed to 45 degrees below 3K rpm?
The only way that question can be answered is on a load-based dyno where you can hold the RPM steady and tune the cam timing for peak torque.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Great info in my post, thanks guys! (Not being sarcastic)

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 09-26-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 PM
dovla

miamimax96, thank you very much for answers. Finally some good info about cams, it seems to me that you know about cams. This is all Greek to me (no offense to Greeks). Please answer what you can, or how much your patience allows .

I always thought that Cipher parameters INTK_CAM_TIM-B1 (Deg CA) and INTK_CAM_TIM-B2 (Deg CA) represent cams angles at which they open intake valves. I had no clue that these Cipher degrees are actually half the TDC degrees values.

When you say "goes up to -2" are you referring to the cam angle?
The -6 in the chart and your -2 are two seperate values.
Yes, cam angle as reported by Cipher. I am lost again. First I though that in my Cipher logs above 6K rpm C is –2 degrees. Then, after reading your reply, I though that C is actually not –2 but -4 degrees in my chart. Both represent cams angle at which intake valves are open?

If the cams spin at exactly half the speed of the crank, why would VQ35DE cams angles separate like on this chart?

Are VQ35DE cams driven by VTC solenoids (oil pressure to the cams sprockets) and 0 degrees being solenoids are off?

Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just removed the front plate from VCT sprocket & can confirm miamimax's statement that the cypher cam log is expressed in deg of crankshaft position not camshft.
There is only about 20 deg max rotation inside the sprocket.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Nathan
I have just removed the front plate from VCT sprocket & can confirm miamimax's statement that the cypher cam log is expressed in deg of crankshaft position not camshft.
Well... that's one way to do it!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:59 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

im reading all this and im just but its interesting..
Old 09-27-2006, 12:38 AM
Silo

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Below stock?... Not possible unless something else is very wrong.
I was refering to this dyno:

http://motordyneengineering.com/imag.../Andy-Dyno.jpg

It is listed under MREV. Than there are some better ones under MREV-PLUS but the currently offered version is MREV-2 - I must admit, I have lost track! Enlighten me...
Old 09-27-2006, 04:40 AM
dovla

Originally Posted by Nathan
Thanks Nathan.

I am visual kind; here are the pics also for others

Quick Reply: My Progress with Cipher (charts included)