Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

SPEC CLUTCH problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:01 AM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SPEC CLUTCH problem

I bought a spec stage 2+ and had it installed by a local tuner shop. I was there throughout the whole installation process and actually did some of the work myself. When I drove off I tried to do the first quick shift I realized the tranny was making a grinding noise when I went to engage the next gear. It only does it on the upshift and never on the downshift.
It is a brand new tranny from infiniti and has less than 1500 miles on it. THe problem started immediately after the clutch was installed. Could it be that the throwout bearing is installed wrong? if not then what else could it be?

THe shop that installed it is actually doing their research on the issue. THey say that alot of people have been having similar problems with the spec clutches (BS? maybe). In the mean time, I can drive the car but I either have to double clutch every gear or wait till the rpms drop quite a bit before I can attempt to engage the next gear.

HELP!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:56 PM
brokeazz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, i dont think you should be doing any "QUICK" shifting until you break in the clutch(500-1000miles).
Old 09-13-2006, 06:16 PM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

its not the break-in... THere is something mechanically wrong with it.
Worst you can do if you don't break a clutch in properly is create a glaze over the surface and it wont grip. This is a griding noise, possibly the clutch segments....