Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rear Axle Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:15 AM
cox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
LSD as in Limited Slip Differential? I believe my 2005 does have one, unless the sticker is lying. I have the 35th Anniversary.
Yes you have it...
Old 09-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Super Avan Z33

I'm getting ready to go to my local nissan dealership to have them fix mine, but one thing that I'm concern about is am I fine with some of my aftermarket camber kit, lower spring and 18" wheels? I wanna know the procedure, are they gonna mess up my alinement and also don't want them put some either scratches or dent on my volk wheels?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:28 PM
bleufiend

Originally Posted by Super Avan Z33
I'm getting ready to go to my local nissan dealership to have them fix mine, but one thing that I'm concern about is am I fine with some of my aftermarket camber kit, lower spring and 18" wheels? I wanna know the procedure, are they gonna mess up my alinement and also don't want them put some either scratches or dent on my volk wheels?
I work at classic nissan in orlando.

The procedure to get rid of the rear axle clicking is relatively simple. Whats causing it is the lack of grease inbetween the cv axle and the hub.

All we do is put the car on the lift,
get it up to chest level,
remove both rear wheels(nissan says to only fix the side that is clicking but I do them both newayz most of the time)
remove the cotter pins in the axle,
remove the axle bolt that affixes it tightly to the hub bearing,

From there it goes up and I get under it and remove the 6 bolts/nuts that attach the axles on each side to the differential.

Then take a deadblow hammer, tap the axle out while holding it out of the way of the diff, take it out, grease the hub face generously with Nissan Molykote 477 grease and then reinstall the axle 180degrees opposite of the way it came out (dont ask me why, it says to do it in the TSB so I just follow the instructions)

Then I use new bolts/nuts (per instructions of the TSB) to reattach the axle to the diff and I also get new cotter pins for the axles as well. After that, bolt it all up, take it out of the garage and around a couple low speed turns in the parking lot and confirm that its gone.

Thats all there is too it.

After that, I put the axle back up in the hub and use new bolts per the instructions of the TSB to reattach
Old 10-05-2006, 02:54 PM
RolledTight

My right rear axle started clicking about 3 weeks ago and I finally had the time to get down to Nissan. I was told bolts needed to be replaced and a bit of grease applied. Total cost to me: $160. After I informed them that I purchased an extended warranty, they then changed their wording and said that only grease had to be applied. Apparently it’s all in the wording, if parts such as the nuts and bolts are replaced in the process then it is warranty service, if the bolts are not replaced then it is maintenance which isn’t covered. When I purchased my 03’ Z it had 24000 miles on it. I have twice taken it to Nissan and both times was told of a tire feathering problem and that the dealership would supply me two new front tires. Unfortunately, not knowing that the TSB announcements are only honored until 36000 miles, I’m told that these tires will not be supplied to me and any known problems that Z’s suffer such as the clicking are now my problem, warranty or no, now that I have 38000 miles.

I find it to be bad business that, knowing I was close to the 36000 mile mark, the service guys did not inform me that the TSB would not be honored once I was over 36000. Why tell me you will soon be giving me tires when I’m at 34500 miles and know that in month you’re not going to give me anything? I have never owned a vehicle that suffered such widespread, reoccurring problems and never knew that service bulletins were only good till 36000. It’s a real shame that Nissans policy leaves 03-04 owners out in the rain. A service bulletin is an announcement that you are aware you made a part on a car that is prone to failure, 36000 miles seems very early in the life of a car to not accept responsibility any longer.

Update:
Originally Posted by bleufiend
Then I use new bolts/nuts (per instructions of the TSB)
that’s the clause that is keeping this from being a maintenance or a warranty issue. This dealership is actually FIGHTING me on this because I am at over 38000 miles even though I bought a 100000 mile warranty.

Last edited by RolledTight; 10-05-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:49 PM
bleufiend

Thats surprising that they didnt tell you about the TSB's. Thats money for the techs like me to make back in the shop. Normally when a car pulls in thats one of the first things Ill pull in its history to see if any of the problems the cars having are related to a TSB so that I can perform the work, get payed for it, and fix the customers car under warranty.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:08 AM
arizzee

Originally Posted by bleufiend
Thats surprising that they didnt tell you about the TSB's. Thats money for the techs like me to make back in the shop. Normally when a car pulls in thats one of the first things Ill pull in its history to see if any of the problems the cars having are related to a TSB so that I can perform the work, get payed for it, and fix the customers car under warranty.
My hat's off to you, sir. I wish I had a service tech with your work ethic and integrity working at my local dealership.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:36 PM
RolledTight

Another update: They are still fighting me on this. I have not yet received a call from the district service manager but I did get a call from a woman at the Bankston Nissan of Lewisville Texas that tried to help me yesterday and said everyone she has spoken to has denied my warranty claim.

I think that if they did not pull the TSB’s when I took my car there before 36,000 miles, then they should be responsible for them now. I don’t think I’m asking for much. Has anyone else had this kind of problem getting a dealership to do anything for them?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Smoove

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has been clicking for about 2 1/2 weeks. How fast do I need to get the car in to get this taken care of? Right now I can't get the car to the shop for at least 2 weeks
Old 10-17-2006, 04:02 PM
the7ferret

I had a similar noise and turns out I chipped a tooth in my LSD. Got a new one, they even replaced some suspension parts which they said were noisy. Now I have a different sound!

HAHA oh well its not as bad as before.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
bleufiend

Originally Posted by Smoove
Mine has been clicking for about 2 1/2 weeks. How fast do I need to get the car in to get this taken care of? Right now I can't get the car to the shop for at least 2 weeks
Get it into your dealer asap b4 you go out of warranty. That way you avoid the problem of having to argue with them that it should of been taken care of under warranty.