Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutcher

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:41 AM
thumpboarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutcher

I got an 05 35th anniversary Z. I did a heel-toe burnout last night and right after I got this burnt clutch smell. The car only has 12,500 miles on it. After driving it today its starting to slip more and more. Esp. in 1st and reverse. I'm more pissed at myself for doing the dam burnout, but are these clutches not able to withstand any abuse? I'm going to try to get it into a dealership tomorrow and hopefully get warranty for it. But I'm just pissed that its a completely stock car that can't withstand some abuse. I can count the times I've done burnouts on 1 hand. I had a supercharged 02 Mustang GT before that could withstand it, but ya its a totally different car.

Anything I should be worried about with the dealership not wanting to warrant my warranty?

Oh and I was even thinking of supercharging the Z and making it a sleeper and was thinking of possibably running around 10 psi as long as I could tune it on the safe side, but realistically thinking I could only get 7 maybe squeeze 8 psi out of it safely.

Last edited by thumpboarder; 09-30-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:07 AM
bleufiend

Idk if your dealership will warrant it or not but at mine if we open the tranny all the way up and find that the owner has been abusing the crap outta the clutch or its just worn all the way down (thin clutchdisk, blue spots/hot spots on the flywheel, glazing on both) then we cant warranty it.

However in your case with it only having 12k miles on it or so they should warrant it even if it is considered a wear item.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is no way your clutch is slipping more in 1st and reverse than it does it 5th or sixth - it's physically not possible.

What you did is glaze your disk - from the sounds of it, badly. Not to worry, all is not lost. Take it easy for the next 500 miles - just like breaking in a new clutch. Lot's of stop and go, minimal constant speed runs, no wide open throttle. In no time you'll re-bed the disk in and all will be good.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:18 PM
thumpboarder

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
there is no way your clutch is slipping more in 1st and reverse than it does it 5th or sixth - it's physically not possible.

What you did is glaze your disk - from the sounds of it, badly. Not to worry, all is not lost. Take it easy for the next 500 miles - just like breaking in a new clutch. Lot's of stop and go, minimal constant speed runs, no wide open throttle. In no time you'll re-bed the disk in and all will be good.
I feel it more in 1st and reverse coming from a dead stop and slipping out the clutch. Good thing is I'm taking about a 1000 to 1500 mile trip this weekend so. Hopefully, she'll be good afterwards. I'm taking it easy cause the smell is horrible. However, it is dimenishing
Old 10-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that is not clutch slippage then - that is the release point changing as the disk wears (as it does with a hydraulic clutch).