Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

GReddy turbo kit update

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 07:55 PM
Street Sports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GReddy turbo kit update

I spoke with a friend of mine in GReddy's R&D department today. Their 350Z was tested last week by Motor Trend. It performed very well. The kit is still prototype and is being run by an eManage system. The kit will end up including new fuel injectors to help supply fuel. The kit should end up using a actual eManage (not just the typical blue box) that has had the fuel program already downloaded into it. This way the Profec E-01 can be interfaced with it as an upgrade. The car has so far been dynoed at 90HP to the rear wheels at only around .4 BAR.

They are probably going to go for CARB certification with the kit. This should put the system out around the end of the year.

I will get some more information and update this post with it. Subscribe to this thread to know when updates are made.

Hope this helps answer some of everyone's questions.

Shawn @ Street Sports
Old 03-10-2003, 08:17 PM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

By 90HP, do you mean 90 additional HP or was that a typo for 390HP?
Old 03-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Street Sports

Default HP figure

Yes, I was told that they had a measured 90HP increase to the rear wheels over what they had dynoed before the kit was installed.

-Shawn
Old 03-10-2003, 08:57 PM
TeamRedline808

I would like to know all there is to know about this cuz i most likely wont get a z unless a good reliable turbo kit comes out for it.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:13 PM
nosuchsol

32X to the ground isn't bad at all. =) But those fuel injectors should raise the price by a decent amount on the product and labor side.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:24 AM
Zrated

I am very excited about this kit, but I'm hoping they can keep the price reasonable.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:29 AM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Zrated
I am very excited about this kit, but I'm hoping they can keep the price reasonable.
With the E-manage, injectors, turbos, and FMIC expect to pay $7000+ street price.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Rob (Miami)

$7000+ Street price easily. When you figure the cost of labor into the deal most guys will be looking at around $10,000.....
Old 03-11-2003, 07:57 AM
Street Sports

Originally posted by TeamRedline808
I would like to know all there is to know about this cuz i most likely wont get a z unless a good reliable turbo kit comes out for it.
One thing GReddy has ALWAYS done is put out a reliable turbo kit. For other cars out there, other manufacturers put out kits that sometimes (but not always) put out more power right out of the box, but GReddy's kits are always top notch in both fitment and reliability. So stay tuned to this thread, because I am sure that others will ask questions that will be answered which will give you even more information. Thanks for the interest.

-Shawn
Old 03-11-2003, 08:08 AM
ares
Veteran

didnt the greddy car dyno 260 stock or something? or am I thinking of the wrong car...
Old 03-11-2003, 08:14 AM
msink

I did read somehwere the Greddy car Dyno'd a bit low. This might be why they are quoting ADDITIONAL HP numbers, and not absolutes, which is even better I think. If the car had Dyno'd high stock, then that would not be fair either to quote a final absolute number. 90+ WHP is a lot. I hope I can resist the urge.

Last edited by msink; 03-11-2003 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Street Sports

Originally posted by nosuchsol
32X to the ground isn't bad at all. =) But those fuel injectors should raise the price by a decent amount on the product and labor side.
345HP @ 0.45kg/cm 2

I really like the way that they include the injectors. Let me tell you why. I will use a typical Honda kit for an example.

The way most kits out there are done, they use the factory injectors, put a fuel computer that really pushes the fuel through the existing injectors, uses a fuel pressure regulator to bump the fuel pressure sky high which further pushes the factory injectors, uses a high volume fuel pump to help bump pressure even more. and then include an intercooler to try to keep the kit from detonation. Now most people will eventually get a boost controller and try to increase boost and maybe try to increase fuel some more with a Super AFC. Whamo! Fuel injector pintle locks up, goes lean, breaks engine.

Now GReddy on the other hand DOES include the injectors which are larger and are designed to run enough fuel at the maximum kit boost with NO INTERCOOLER with the factory computer's fuel map to keep eveything safe. Now that means that off boost, the factory fuel map is still pushing the same volume of fuel. So GReddy's fuel management computer does exactly the opposite of everyone else's. Their fuel computer actually SHORTENS the injector duty cycle when there is no boost. This means the injectors are working even easier (and makes for much better idle and startup). Now why I think this is a better way to go (although a little more pricey out of the box) is that the same person will want to get a boost controller and increase the boost. Well how do we cope with that, well first off we can get an intercooler to bring charge temperature down since we don't even have one yet. Boost it more? Sure, get a fuel pressure regulator to bump the pressure in the fuel rail since we don't have one yet. Even more boost? Sure, get the Super AFC and start opening the injector pulse up, since we haven't done that yet either. How about a little more boost? Sure, get a bigger fuel pump, because we haven't done that yet either.

Well, I guess you get the point. I think that you can see that GReddy engineers a very good and reliable turbo kit. That is probably why it takes so long for their kits to become available. But it is usually worth the wait. I don't have price information yet though, but I will post it here as soon as it becomes available to me. I would say that around $7000.00 should be expected. I wouldn't think that $10K installed sounds right, should probably be less. Unless you plan to maybe put some gauges and such with it. But we will have to wait on pricing on the kit to know for sure. I already have some people that are going to have their vehicles trucked to our facility to have their kits (both GReddy and Power Enterprise) installed. I am sure that MANY more questions can be anwered after the first kits are installed. But until then, I will answer what I can.

-Shawn
Old 03-11-2003, 08:50 AM
McDan

Originally posted by ares
didnt the greddy car dyno 260 stock or something? or am I thinking of the wrong car...
260 hp at the crank, not wheel, per e-mail from Greddy. probably had really low miles.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Street Sports

Default Stock HP

Most of the Z owners we know of that have dynoed their cars have gained HP after just driving the car for a while.

Shawn @ Street Sports
Old 03-11-2003, 09:14 AM
alienx

I'm not saying that 10 grand is a bad deal (or a good deal). But once you start to talk about 30-40% of the cost of the vehicle, you have to really stop and consider whether there are other alternatives.

How much power can you buy with $10,000 worth of engine work???

The reason I am asking, is that the greddy kit might be low boost and safer than some other kit, but it is still a bolt-on to a stock motor.

I'm not a motor builder by any means, but I would be curious to see if people aren't just getting all wrapped up in the thought of having another 90 horses at the wheels, and losing site of what deals had to be made wth the devil to get there, so to speak?
Old 03-11-2003, 09:34 AM
webcarconnection

Default Re: GReddy turbo kit update

Originally posted by Street Sports
I will get some more information and update this post with it. Subscribe to this thread to know when updates are made.

Hope this helps answer some of everyone's questions.

Shawn @ Street Sports
Any word on the exhaust system?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2003, 10:34 AM
350_Z

I highly doubt the kit will be $7000 to begin with. Most kits out now come with injectors also and can be had for $3200 with Intercooler. I would guess about $5000 with intercooler for the kit and another $700-$800 for install and tuning. If you pay $3k for install... You got ripped.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:21 PM
ImportPartsPro
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally posted by 350_Z
I highly doubt the kit will be $7000 to begin with. Most kits out now come with injectors also and can be had for $3200 with Intercooler. I would guess about $5000 with intercooler for the kit and another $700-$800 for install and tuning. If you pay $3k for install... You got ripped.
Not with two manifolds, two turbos, two down pipes, two wastegates, etc... Just the TD05-16G kit for the Z32 retails for $6400 and does not include injectors and fuel managment.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:37 PM
ares
Veteran

10grand I would probably ask for a quote on a custom turbo, do it as I want from the start. .4 bar? pffft, no, break the engine open, do it right from the start. itll cost more, but in the end, it might cost less. why buy a turbo for .4 bar when you really want one that can do 1.5bar? just my thoughts...

but we'll see what the pricing ends up at. and how much power they get, if they did dyno 260, at the crank, whatd they get at the wheels, they might have gotten 215... then add 90 and you have 305. tricky tricky... since 25-30 of that hp was gained by simple break in mileage.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:50 AM
redghost

I just don't get one thing. If the Vortech single turbo set-ups are adding 137 whp to a Civic Si @ 10psi, how can two turbos produce 90 out of 2 turbos and a V6. Must be small units. I think there will be some other players that will produce other high quality kits. I have an Si with a Vortech pushing 273whp on stock bottom end. Vortech is awesome, I will be waiting to see if they enter the game.
I chose the Vortech over the Greddy because of the total kit. No mis-match or adding parts later. Dyno tuning is expensive. Wait and see who else offers options let the best kit win.

Quick Reply: GReddy turbo kit update