Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

show AND go

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:43 PM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Celestial
Well thank you for so much ****ing help. does anyone know where the stats are for 1/4 mile times? I can't find them anywhere.
You don't seem to read anyone's posts. What you want is just not possible.
Let's worry more about this when you actually own a Z.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You've done research and havent found 1/4 times?! Wow-I dont even know why Im wasting time with you...but, to answer your question, bolt-ons and slicks AND great driving will get you high 12's NA, it has been done by a handful of guys(lessthan 5 out of thousands). Most turbo, either ST or TT stock block guys from 380-460whp run 12's, again most, there are a handful of exceptions that have run 11's. You have no idea how dumb it sounds when you say you want to add a stereo then CF pieces to make it lighter, thats just silly. You either go hardcore one way or the other, you cant have both....
Old 10-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Reyes_USN

[QUOTE=Wired 24/7]^^ What he said. I guess I was being conservative when I said 35k for performance and looks.[/QUOTE]

^^ what I was gonna say
Old 10-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't even have a Z yet? And you're talking about $35k PLUS in mods?

The car comes first, then comes learning how to drive it in stock form, then comes mods, then comes learning how to drive all over again.

I hope you have a lot of cash in your pocket because financing mods is just plain retarded.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Celestial

Ok guys, so I'll go TT, here's a stupid question that I was a little hesitant before: is it ok to do 100 wet shot IF you have TT? I understand that I would only be spraying at hight RPM's and most likely not on low gears, just wasn't sure how TT and nos would work together on the engine, last thing I want to do is to blow it up. I figured that I would need to get a TT to get into 11's, I don't want to go hardcore only one way, I do want more go than show but I still want the body kit and a system. This is gonna be my toy, I'm not going to drive this car every day, just so you know. Sorry for the stupid question but I did read, I guess I got lost somewhere along the way. And isn't the CF supposed to lighten your car?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Celestial

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
You don't even have a Z yet? And you're talking about $35k PLUS in mods?

The car comes first, then comes learning how to drive it in stock form, then comes mods, then comes learning how to drive all over again.

I hope you have a lot of cash in your pocket because financing mods is just plain retarded.
I'm not financing mods, I plan on putting 10 grand for a downpayment to get my payments low, then learn to drive it and start adding on little things like system, lights, bodykit, wheels, and so on, engine modding will be the last thing, if I have to rebuild it entirely then so be it but I would rather go turbo than endup having to rebuild it entirely with block, bigger pistons and so on. Can somebody please point me towards the 1/4 times? I looked in each section and didn't see it.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Celestial

never mind the 1/4 times, I got it.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok guys, so I'll go TT, here's a stupid question that I was a little hesitant before: is it ok to do 100 wet shot IF you have TT? I understand that I would only be spraying at hight RPM's and most likely not on low gears, just wasn't sure how TT and nos would work together on the engine, last thing I want to do is to blow it up. I figured that I would need to get a TT to get into 11's, I don't want to go hardcore only one way, I do want more go than show but I still want the body kit and a system. This is gonna be my toy, I'm not going to drive this car every day, just so you know. Sorry for the stupid question but I did read, I guess I got lost somewhere along the way. And isn't the CF supposed to lighten your car?
The best use for nitrous on a TT car is to spray on the intercooler to cool it down better. In fact you can even use CO2

Also, you should read this: https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/197329-the-top-100-common-questions.html

Q: I'm thinking about going Turbo / Supercharged. What setup is the safest and most reliable? What do I need to make my setup safe?

A: First of all, going with F/I is hands down the most extreme modification you can do to your car.

ANYTIME you increase the output of a motor, you put more stress and strain on its internals and parts. This is a FACT of LIFE and there are limits to the metals in your rods, pistons, etc, no matter "how good" or "how safe" your tuning is. It doesn't matter "how safe" your kit is, as (IIRC) every turbo and supercharger kit has, at one time or another, blown a motor.

If you are "going F/I" you need to have a backup plan. First of all, your car can be in the shop for months if you are going for a built motor setup. Installation can and will run several thousands of dollars. Only a handful of talented individuals have installed their own turbo kits, and very few if any people have built their own motor.

Building up your motor with upgraded crank, rods, pistons, headgasket, (there's much more to it, but these are just examples) is one of the first steps to making your setup more reliable and more safe. Not to mention, the stock fuel system is not equipped to deal with high HP numbers.

Other parts that can help are oil coolers and bigger radiators are popular additions, as are oil catch cans, water/methanol injection (to reduce cylinder temps), one step colder spark plugs, HKS DLI II and much much more.

Blown motors DO happen, and generally most people don't get much advanced warning that it's going to happen. This is an unfortunate circumstance of the stock internals and block not being designed to handle high levels of power.

Can you put a F/I kit on a stock motor? Yes. Have people done it, and have their engines survived for a long time? Yes. But some people's motors have blown, and the cause is NOT necessarily a "bad tune."

You should be prepared for the worst if you are boosting your stock motor.

Remember, you can get money for a USEABLE engine block, in a core exchange program. But if you blow a hole through your block, kiss your core refund goodbye.

Question 2: But wait, what if I just run lower boost, with a very conservative tune...will my setup be safe and reliable ??

Answer: Some people have suggested doing this, but HARDLY ANYONE has ever done it. Most if not ALL people who have suggested "running lower boost with a very conservative tune" have chickened out of getting a turbo kit in the first place. Plus, it will most likely not even be worth the money, trouble, and effort. The person who asks this question is not prepared to accept the worst case scenario of a blown motor.

But if you want to do this, go right ahead and show everyone how reliable your setup is.

Q: OK I'm mentally prepared for the worst. I am going to get a built motor, my favorite turbo kit, several parts to enhance performance and safety, and I have tons of money to spend. What now?

A: Break out your checkbook (financing a turbo kit = not a great idea) and start PM'ing or calling engine builders who will usually have most of the parts you will need anyway, so this is a good place to start asking questions if you are SERIOUS. Make sure you know well beforehand who your pro F/I tuner is going to be, and call ahead to make sure they have time to tune your car. They can clue you in as to which engine management systems they like to work with, what has worked for them, and what would work best for your needs.

If you love the 350Z and you have lots of money (Don't be surprised if your project starts approaching over $20,000) and you want more power, this is the way to go.

Just make sure you are within a comfortable limit of legality with your car. For example, california people may wish to stick with vortech or stillen superchargers, which are CARB approved.

Finally, USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION in the forced induction forum. People have been boosting the 350Z for a long time now, there is a TON of great info in the F/I forum. Do NOT disrupt the forum by asking a stupid question that can be answered with searching. If search isn't working out for you, manually browse through old threads. There is MORE to the F/I forum than "page 1."
Old 10-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Celestial

Thank You.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank You.
judging by your reply I assume you got your answer. I'm closing this ridiculous thread. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you did some research prior to this thread, so please, do MORE research. A LOT more.

What you're aiming for costs over 6 figures. Trust me.