Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350Z Test Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 03:53 PM
rtakashima

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z Test Results

Hey guys. Here is the test result from las Friday that we promised. Sorry it was a little late but we had to compile 5 hours of data and load it on our site. Thanks to Thom Cameron for the use of his vehicle.
http://www.injen.com/350z_testing.html

any questions please email ryant@injen.com or phillipp@Injen.com
Old 03-11-2003, 04:07 PM
Phillip@Injen

I also would like to add, since there has been a lot controversy regarding Horsepower gains with aftermarket parts. Injen Technology took upon itself to provide the consumer with some useful information so that you guys can make an informed and objective decision when purchasing our parts.

Also to mention, this testing was done with media coverage from Drag Sport Magazine, Speedoptions.com, and TPR Magazine.

http://www.injen.com/350z_testing.html

Thank you for your time.

Phillip
Injen Technology
Old 03-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

very interesting results...

any way to do a follow up testing / dyno run after say, a week of driving on the car?

those are very nice numbers!... but curious on why other people that have dynoed after having the intakes / exhaust installed after a few hundred miles have zero gains

any suggestions?
Old 03-11-2003, 05:02 PM
D_Nyholm

I just don't understand. How come no one else can replicate those figures? What are we doing wrong here?
Old 03-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Zaphod 350z

Nice numbers. Not sure how I feel about the way the tips sit under the bumper but looking at it from under the car it makes perfect sense. that's a pretty straight run. I'm more concerned with flow and power than i am asthestics.

So how much is the exhaust system and when will it be released?
Old 03-11-2003, 06:39 PM
MP350Z

WOW. very impressive. not sure what i think of the sound though.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:46 PM
Moroccan_Mole

give us details on the exhaust!!
Old 03-11-2003, 07:16 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very curious... every PRIVATE dyno I have seen of the intake has yielded next to NOTHING.

Please explain how the company itself (of course) was able to yield such high gains? More so...the owners of the intake can't so much as feel a difference?
Old 03-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Wags

Looks preety good. Nice job adressing our concerns too. Would like more details on the exhuast or more detailed pics.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:18 PM
12SecZ

If I recall correctly Injen invited everyone to come watch and learn. It was too far from me but we do have lots of Southern CA members.

How many people actually went and observed? I am curiuos as to the head count from this board.

That type of oppurtunity doesn't come along that often. It could have squelled allot of the disgruntled buyers if there was a good turn out.

Wish I could have been there.

I'm still on record as loving my Injen CAI.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:24 PM
sschmuve

That's pretty loud. Will this thing drone while at cruising rpm?
Old 03-11-2003, 08:30 PM
phile

Great numbers guys. In fact, awesome numbers. My question is like everyone else's though. How in the hell can you produce those results, and no one else?

They did blow "wind" into the front of the car which would simulate colder air flow when sucked in through the CAI.
It seems to me that no one else has actually tried this.
I would also like to know (as state in a post above), if those gains actually STAY, or if the ECU **** cans them. Cmon Injen, please answer!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Rob Nance

People keep saying "I didn't get these results". I am not trying to be a jerk, but the more of these I read, the more it seems to come out that the person either dynoed it in the wrong gear, it was dyno'd on different dynos, or it was NEVER dyno'd before the intake was put in. Who here, with a broken in car, that was run in a controlled way like this (warmed up, cool down, etc) has not gained any horsepower on the same dyno?

I commend Injen on these tests and they will be getting my business on at least the intake, and quite possibly the exhaust in the future.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:13 PM
D'oh

Injen,

Thanks for the tests and the data. Everyone appreciates this type of interaction.

A couple questions/comments:

1. Your web page seems to have the comparison Dyno's mis-labelled and mis-compared. The graphs labelled highest gain seem to actually be the lowest gain (not the best marketing strategy, so I'm guessing it is a simple typo). Also, when comparing the lowest gain for the fully modded car, you are comparing the 255 HP run to the 234 HP stock run. It looks like the gains would be slightly less when comparing the 251 HP modded run to the 234 stock run. Am I confused here?

2. The exhaust seems to leave black smudges on the bottom of the rear fender, just above the tips. Is this a pre-productinon issue( perhaps the production version will have tips than extend slightly further), or will those smudges be something that future buyers of the exhaust will need to be careful about cleaning off? Also, any plans for a titanium system? How about making the tips come straight out the back instead of angled as they are in the photos?

Thanks again for the detailed pictures and charts.

-D'oh!

Last edited by D'oh; 03-11-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:31 PM
hfm

"Everybody present looked at each other in disbelief because the gain between the stock run and this run was over 20 plus horsepower to the wheels." - Injen.

Injen:

I don't have a clue as to what a SES exhaust system is. Frankly, I don't believe the numbers.

I would love to see a my350z.com member that's been around for a while post this kind of dyno. Hell, I'm in So.Cal. Tell you what, let's take my car to a neutral dyno location in Pomona. If it produces 10+ hp, I'll buy it and rave about in this forum. If it doesn't produce 10+ hp, I get to keep it for the nice sounds and you buy my gas back to LA.

Last edited by hfm; 03-11-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:09 AM
DavidD

Default Hood open

Was the hood open for the tests? If so, than the injen intake might have been cooler and higher hp numbers. With the hood down the engine bay would be warmer and the injen could heat up and lower the hp numbers. Does this make sense?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:14 AM
webcarconnection

I love my Injen and I'm very interested in this System, no other System is gaving 15 whp in the market, not even Titan Amuse, that sales w/o the Y pipe and only gave "11 whp".
Old 03-12-2003, 04:41 AM
Zrated

rtakashima, Phillip@Injen, or anyone.. Is this a cat back only, or does it include a Y-pipe? I am interested in more info on the exhaust. When should we see this on the market? Price?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:42 AM
VandyZ

I don’t have an Injen intake, nor want one. If I were to buy an intake, I suppose I would buy the Injen based on reputation.

I must say the gains look impressive, and a little unbelievable. I am not saying they are not real because I highly doubt they would chance fudging something like this.

I dynoed my car 3 weeks ago. I had no changes except for the filter element between two of the 7 (6) runs. My first dyno on a warm engine started at like 229. I was a like that cant be right and forgot about it. The car was run 6 more times and the final HP rose to 238. Thats 9 hp with no mods. The car is highly temp sensitive. We stopped there because we had another car to do.

This car is totally puzzling.

Thanks for the detailed information about the dyno tests though. So far you guys are ahead of the game on satisfying our intense curiosity about modding this car.

see my post about my runs HERE
Old 03-12-2003, 05:40 AM
jelledge

Default Angled Tips? Yuk

Injen,
What's with the angled exhaust tips? They look bad. Please make them come straight out the back.

my $0.02

Quick Reply: 350Z Test Results