Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

*E-manage Ultimate Tuned* Pics and Dynos Inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 07:08 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome numbers...congrats wired!

makes me really anxious now to get mine to the dyno with my mrev2 and crawford upper....with pop on standby. right now i am running a stock 06 airbox.

again, great job.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
By the way, Shawn told me about some kind of throttle body mod that gave him about 5hp... if it's cheap I might do it.

He said it makes the throttle body resemble a rifle barrel or something.

I also have tentative plans to go back and do a higher octane map. But I don't think we're going to squeeze much more power out of this motor (gut instinct talking) with the race fuel. Maybe 3-5 hp...
can you elaborate on that tb mod?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
can you elaborate on that tb mod?
Nope, I've told you all I know.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by Silo
I will probably ask this question in any thread that is about gains made by tuning with piggy-backs until we get the definite answer: won't the factory ECU equalize the gains by it's long-term fuel trim?
I'm going to keep checking everything using the cipher tool.

I think the ECU only learns at part-throttle. Not at WOT. I could be wrong though. Most of the tuning was done at WOT so I should be okay.

But I'll let you guys know if anything weird happens.

So far the car feels really solid. It feels REALLY Good passing people on city streets at low RPM in 3rd gear. The extra torque is kickass.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Awesome numbers bro!! Get the HKS and gain about 10 more ponies..
Old 10-20-2006, 11:01 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Mike,

I'm glad the EU worked out for you.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:04 AM
GSXR-Z

Nope, I've told you all I know.
If i had to guess, I would have to say that what he means by "similar to a rifle" is a process called rifling. This would invilve cutting helix shaped grooved into the throttle body thus spinning the are similar to a (shall i say it....ooh, wait...yeah, here it goes) TURBONATOR!

Edit** Link here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifling
Old 10-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by GSXR-Z
If i had to guess, I would have to say that what he means by "similar to a rifle" is a process called rifling. This would invilve cutting helix shaped grooved into the throttle body thus spinning the are similar to a (shall i say it....ooh, wait...yeah, here it goes) TURBONATOR!
That's exactly what I said to Shawn. I was like "That sounds like a turbonator!!! "

But the difference is, a turbonator adds a restriction, whereas rifling does not
Old 10-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Congrats Mike,

I'm glad the EU worked out for you.
Oh believe me, it took a lot of leg work and soldering and research and frustration to get it to "work out for me" but now I know a lot about the EU and I can help other people out much better
Old 10-20-2006, 11:08 AM
GSXR-Z

That's exactly what I said to Shawn. I was like "That sounds like a turbonator!!! "

But the difference is, a turbonator adds a restriction, whereas rifling does not
I agree, but my guess is that a throttle body spacer would give you better gains doe to the higher volume of air in the plenum.

Maybe you can get a spacer and rifle both of em
Old 10-20-2006, 11:38 AM
dovla

I will probably ask this question in any thread that is about gains made by tuning with piggy-backs until we get the definite answer: won't the factory ECU equalize the gains by it's long-term fuel trim?
Say Silo, in your opinion how long does it take ECU to settle it's long-term fuel trim? Thanks

Also a significant portion of the gains came from using cipher for the +2 degrees of timing. For some reason the cipher advancing timing did a "better job" than the EU at advancing timing.
Nice gains Wired! And still good $/hp ratio regardless of all parts combined cost. Cant wait to do tune on my car, which btw with only change of +2 degrees gave me net gain of 3 Dyno Dynamics ponies (charts are in this post on g35driver site) which is probably within dyno error margin.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:41 AM
cvt

I'd love cams, if only it wasn't like 12 hrs of labor.

I don't want headers, too loud...this is my daily driver.
i think headers only deepen the sound and only make it a little louder (maybe DC headers to add more mid range and tq + CARB)...as far as cams i know a few shops that would do it for a lot less than you think (good shops who have worked on cams on Zs before)...plus used cams go for 650-800...you can get them for around $1500 installed...i think it's a better deal than getting a $1100 exhaust that gives out only 8whp.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by cvt
i think headers only deepen the sound and only make it a little louder (maybe DC headers to add more mid range and tq + CARB)...as far as cams i know a few shops that would do it for a lot less than you think (good shops who have worked on cams on Zs before)...plus used cams go for 650-800...you can get them for around $1500 installed...i think it's a better deal than getting a $1100 exhaust that gives out only 8whp.
I wonder who I should trust to do cams in socal... Probably VRT or GT Motorsports.

I will ask these guys about install prices on cams. Although with cams I'd probably best do an exhaust at the same time. Wouldn't want the extra breathing power to be restricted too much.

The nice thing about my car right now, is I can easily go back to stock configuration in a day. Take off the popcharger, 5/16" spacer, trade someone the MREV2 for their lower collector, replace cats, remove emanage (since it is plug and play thanks to the autosport harness).

And no one would be the wiser, unless they look at the gaskets or something.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 10-20-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:30 AM
Silo

Regarding the fuel-trim questions:

I have no idea how long it takes the ECU to "trim" the long term A/F correction.

But it is for sure true that it DOES affect WOT A/F too - that's the hitch with these new ECUs! Especialy with the wideband O2 sensor equipped cars. E.g. we measured 8 hp gains on '04 models with high flow cats but on a '06 modell there were no gains. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Regarding the fuel-trim questions:

I have no idea how long it takes the ECU to "trim" the long term A/F correction.

But it is for sure true that it DOES affect WOT A/F too - that's the hitch with these new ECUs! Especialy with the wideband O2 sensor equipped cars. E.g. we measured 8 hp gains on '04 models with high flow cats but on a '06 modell there were no gains. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Thanks for the info.

I will definitely keep a lookout using cipher in the near future to see how the ECU responds to the extra fuel from the EU.

No CEL's or anything so far, the car feels so much more responsive now, I love it
Old 10-22-2006, 06:59 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

is your car louder at all? any downsides whatsoever to the EU tune?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
is your car louder at all? any downsides whatsoever to the EU tune?
It didn't change the sound... and the only downside is lower gas mileage. Which I noticed on the 200-mile cruise I took today...only slightly lower though.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 10-22-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:08 PM
zluver

Also a significant portion of the gains came from using cipher for the +2 degrees of timing. For some reason the cipher advancing timing did a "better job" than the EU at advancing timing.
You know what i have noticed from going over 50 or so logs of my Z on the stock setting on the UTEC is that the averaging done by the stock ECU on the timing is very smooth, even when it pulls timing it does so gradually in small amounts and then adds it back within 200 crank cycles or so. The UTEC does not have this same ability to average timing from 02 sensor readouts and there is no smoothness when it pulls timing for knock, it just yanks 10-16 degrees and then dumps it all back in immediately. I have played with the settings on how much it should pull out and the max it should take out but it didnt work.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 PM
Mark Basford

Originally Posted by GSXR-Z
I agree, but my guess is that a throttle body spacer would give you better gains doe to the higher volume of air in the plenum.

Maybe you can get a spacer and rifle both of em
You can these spacers on Ebay. Got one in my garage to fit!

Will do it when my Utec arrives in a couple of weeks!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by zluver
You know what i have noticed from going over 50 or so logs of my Z on the stock setting on the UTEC is that the averaging done by the stock ECU on the timing is very smooth, even when it pulls timing it does so gradually in small amounts and then adds it back within 200 crank cycles or so. The UTEC does not have this same ability to average timing from 02 sensor readouts and there is no smoothness when it pulls timing for knock, it just yanks 10-16 degrees and then dumps it all back in immediately. I have played with the settings on how much it should pull out and the max it should take out but it didnt work.
Good info, thanks

Quick Reply: *E-manage Ultimate Tuned* Pics and Dynos Inside