Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Synthetic Oil Issue..a big deal

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 04:29 PM
dmullane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oil Issue..a big deal

So I've got my '06 Z and at 1200 miles i put mobil 1 synthetic in my engine...Now my mileage is 3900 and the other day i started to hear a chaffing noise coming from my engine bay. This was last weekend and I couldn't take my car into nissan until friday. I take the car in and tell the tech about the issue only to receive a call back saying my Z was 3.5qts low on oil. The guy then said they would give me a free oil change and i'd be on my way only the ramifications of the damage may not be realizable for a while. I'd never expected the VQ to burn off 3.5gts in a period of 2600 miles. I've considered getting my lawyer involved because a new engine with a correct oil change should not burn off that much oil unless theres a leak, and there was no sign of a leak so is it engine malfunction? What should be my next course of action?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:37 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some VQ35 motors have excessive oil consumption issues. Nissan is aware of these issues and covers a new motor swap under warranty. Nissan can test for the oil consumption issue and determine if your car is burning oil.

JET
Old 10-21-2006, 04:43 PM
dmullane

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Some VQ35 motors have excessive oil consumption issues. Nissan is aware of these issues and covers a new motor swap under warranty. Nissan can test for the oil consumption issue and determine if your car is burning oil.

JET
The tech at the service department tried to pin the problem on me by saying I didn't know how to change my oil properly and when I shot that down he alluded to me possibly using sub-stantard synthetic oil, which isn't the case because I used Mobil 1 10w-30
Old 10-21-2006, 04:48 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1200 mile switch to synthetic milestone is bogus. The manual tells you to take it easy for 1200 miles, not that all the metal surfaces are ready for synthetic. BAM, 1200, now it's broken in! Most engines, including the VQ35, will take several thousand miles with dino oil before they're ready for synthetic. And then there's those that come from the factory with synthetic... I don't know, and I never cared. I just don't switch for several thousand miles and play it safe. And oh yea, I check my oil every other fill up. Cheap insurance. 3 1/2 qts low and you never checked it? Good luck with the warrantee if you have any issues related to that in the future.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:48 PM
zman1910

If anything I would have waited till about 5k miles to change to synthetic oils. That will ensure proper sealing of the piston rings. 1.3k is too early for me....either way I'm not blaming this on you, just food for thought
Old 10-21-2006, 04:52 PM
dmullane

Originally Posted by undrgnd
The 1200 mile switch to synthetic milestone is bogus. The manual tells you to take it easy for 1200 miles, not that all the metal surfaces are ready for synthetic. BAM, 1200, now it's broken in! Most engines, including the VQ35, will take several thousand miles with dino oil before they're ready for synthetic. And then there's those that come from the factory with synthetic... I don't know, and I never cared. I just don't switch for several thousand miles and play it safe. And oh yea, I check my oil every other fill up. Cheap insurance. 3 1/2 qts low and you never checked it? Good luck with the warrantee if you have any issues related to that in the future.
The manual also does not say "Don't put synthetic in until 5000 miles" so your opinion in no means helps. Whats done is done, I want advice on how to solve it, not how to prevent what happend.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:52 PM
montarabob

What should be my next course of action?
Forget the "lawyer" talk, its the fastest way to NOT get results!!
Switch back to dino oil, (only let dealer change), drive the S#I& out of it and if its gonna break, nows the time.
If it aint broke the dealer cant fix it. If they change the oil and 2k later it runs dry, DONT rush right back to em, let it seize up. The harder it breaks the easer it is for the dealer to get authorization to replace.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:57 PM
dmullane

so your saying if I notice my engine getting low on oil let it run dry and wonder if they will cover it? I get your point and i agree but theres always the chance they will put the blame on the original oil change...
Old 10-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Motormouth
Banned

mobil one is not a full synthetic. still based on petroleum, so you can argue that if it ever comes down to an improper maintenance issue. I think the oil consumption issue is pretty well know so you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:48 PM
bb319675

If you let the oil run dry and the engine seizes, you will be blamed for the broken engine because they didn't get the chance to test your car for oil consumption problem, so there's no proof the engine was defective.. They can say the oil was low because you probably didn't put enough oil in when you did the oil change.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just telling you what they can say.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:57 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by Motormouth
mobil one is not a full synthetic. still based on petroleum, so you can argue that if it ever comes down to an improper maintenance issue. I think the oil consumption issue is pretty well know so you shouldn't have a problem.
As per Mobil 1 website:

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

JET
Old 10-21-2006, 06:10 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dmullane
What should be my next course of action?
Have you set face-to-face with the service manager and discussed this problem?

The next step is outlined in your warranty book.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:14 PM
undrgnd

Here's something you may have missed in the owners manual: Check your oil level regularly. Hope it helps. I would say, regardless of whether it was in the past, or going forward, if you show up at the dealship 3 qts low, it's going to take a truck load of lawyers, money and guns to get Nissan to warranty a new engine, whether it's seized or not.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
As per Mobil 1 website:

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

JET
It is a blend. The government lets them get away with calling it full synthetic. So when mobile 1 is asked this question directly, they can legally say YES.

I am too lazy to look up the law that states then when a petroleum oil is processed to a certain high level, it can be legally called synthetic.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Motormouth
Banned

and JETPILOT: SUCK IT.

lol. I am right again.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:53 PM
JETPILOT

Not a blend.... It used to be a blend and they tried calling it a "full synthetic" with an asteric *. If you read the fine print at the bottom of the bottle it said.... *Fully synthetic exclusive of base carrier oil. Those days are gone. It is now a full synthetic. Sooooo Motormouth your still wrong. Shove that in your mothers @ss and suck that!

JET
Old 10-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Motormouth
Banned

lol. I am pretty sure I am right... mobil 1 isn't a true synthetic. it is not an ester base as it needs to be to be considered a full synthetic like Motul or Amsoil. I am not aware of any other base being used currently for motor oils. they refine a petroleum product as a base.

PAO molecule, a highly purified ethylene derivative. which leads to:

Ethylene is produced in the petrochemical industry via steam cracking. In this process, gaseous or light liquid hydrocarbons are briefly heated to 750–950 °C, inducing numerous free radical reactions. Generally, in these reactions, large hydrocarbons break down in to smaller ones and saturated hydrocarbons become unsaturated. The result of this process is a complex mixture of hydrocarbons in which ethylene is one of the principal components. The mixture is separated by repeated compression and distillation.

In another process used in oil refineries large hydrocarbon molecules are "cracked into smaller ones. Zeolite catalyst allows the cracking to be achieved at a lower temperature

it is a carbon based substance, therefore, leaves carbon deposits in engines....

Last edited by Motormouth; 10-21-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:07 PM
JETPILOT

FACT Mobil 1 is a group 4........

We know that basestock composition has a significant effect on the overall performance of motor oil. There are four different types of base stock used in the motor oil market today.
Group 1 - Conventional - Mineral oil derived from crude oil
Group 2 - Hydroprocessed - Highly refined mineral oil
Group 3 – Severe hydroprocessed - Ultra refined mineral oil
Group 4 – Full synthetics (chemically derived) - Chemically built Polyalphaolefins (PAO).

As it infers Groups 1 – 3 basestocks are derived from crude oil pumped from the ground whereas Group 4 basestocks are chemically derived, most often from ethylene gas, and contain none of the contaminants present in mineral oils. Just as distilled water is pure water derived from gas so Group 4 basestocks are pure oils derived from gas.

You want more punishment? Or should I stop here.

JET
Old 10-21-2006, 07:11 PM
JETPILOT

As per the Mobil 1 site.....

Semi-Synthetics

Semi-Synthetics use base stocks comprising conventional or hydroprocessed base oil in combination with severely hydroprocessed or synthetic (PAO) basestocks. The proportion of severely hydroprocessed or synthetic basestocks in semi-synthetic oil is a closely guarded secret, but is usually between 10% and 25%.

Synthetics

Synthetic motor oils contain a high proportion of base stocks created from pure chemicals. Since synthetic base stocks such as PAO are essentially pure chemicals themselves they avoid the performance limitations imposed by the impurities present in conventional and hydroprocessed base oils. PAO synthetic base oils are therefore pure compounds containing none of the impurities found in conventional base oils derived from crude oil, as mentioned earlier.

In addition, chemically derived synthetic base stock technology allows the base oil molecules to be designed specifically for particular lubrication applications with purpose designed features such as the exact desired viscosity, superior viscosity stay in grade capability, low volatility etc. Synthetic base stocks can also be specifically tailored to suit different additives required for different applications. Additionally because synthetic oils are ‘pure’ they contribute lower emissions and are kinder to catalytic converters. Synthetic oils can also be engineered to have less internal molecular friction allowing an engine to develop maximum power and provide best possible economy.

Synthetics can therefore be "tailored" to suit specific lubrication applications. The molecular engineering that goes into chemically derived synthetic base stocks enable a base oil to be designed for a specific purpose. For example specific base oil molecules have been designed for use in Mobil Jet Oil II (which is used by 70% of the world’s commercial jet aircraft). Similarly and very specific Mobil 1 formulations have been designed for Formula 1 racing applications. This same highly specific molecular engineering approach has been used to design the best base oil molecules for use in consumer synthetic motor oils such as Mobil 1.

Base Oils Summary

Mineral & Hydroprocessed Base Oils
• Refined from Crude Oil
• Mixture of compounds
• Include compounds poorly suited for lubrication

Chemically Derived Synthetic Base Oils
• Synthetic polymers
• Tailor made from controlled building units
• Specifically designed to suit the lubrication application

Unlike base oils derived from crude oil, synthetic base oils can be designed specifically (i.e. "tailor made") to give optimum performance in synergy with the additive compounds with which they are formulated to produce the final motor oil.

Oh Snap.... my pimp hand is strong!!!!

JET
Old 10-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Motormouth
Banned

see this is where they lie. under full synthetics the only thing listed should be 'ester based oils' as ester does not leave carbon deposits.

or "POE" as compared to the POA used in Mobil 1.

I mean, I don't know what more to say... if you chose to beleive the mis-represented information that Mobil 1 is feeding you, go right ahead. I know anything based off of petroleum is NOT a synthetic no matter how much it is processed. but who knows, I am not a chemist. or is I?

Last edited by Motormouth; 10-21-2006 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Issue..a big deal