Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Coil-Pack going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:14 PM
LODOSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil-Pack going bad?

Trying to get an idea of the symptons of a bad coil pack.. i've had my car TN for a while now and there were a few days that the car just felt soo much alive. and no one seem to know why.. i always assume maybe its just me getting used to it.. but the differnce in power and smoothness is too much to legitimize that theory. I just bought a daily beater. 2000 audi a4 quattro and i've been happpy driving the car. but i know if my car <350z> runs as well as those days when the car ran smooth with plentiful tq... i probably would not have gotten the beater.

so my question is this.

people that have replaced coil=packs on their car and fixed the issue..

Did the car just competely sounded like ***? misfiring the whole time.. or was it something that you did'nt even notice.. just loss of power.. I know there can be many scenarios but I am just trying to get an idea if my car might be in the same situation.

obviously a 4 cylinder car with a missing cylinder would feel this. but a V6. might not..

I got TN kit 1 degree colder plug. had MIL light on for quite a while now.. when i first got it.. did search and everyone seem to say that its normal for TN kit.. i reset it back then and it came back 2 weeks later.. so i did'nt bother with it cause the car ran the way it did. I am going to get the code pulled tomorrow.. maybe that'll tell me something.. but in the meantime if i can get some ideas of what a bad coil pack feels like. that'll be great.. anyway to test the bad coil pack? aside from visual inspection.

can i say pull the coil pack out and start the car and see if the car idles any different?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:16 AM
Q45tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure the engine is at operating temperature before doing diagnostics......coil disconnect.

Consult 2 allows individual cylinders to be shut off [injection and ignition] called a power balance test.........measures the exact rpm drop [50-100] that results from a single cylinder deletion.

OBD2 scanner is the first test.