Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Is VDC worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 07:20 PM
TonyZXT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to ask yourself a few questions.

First, what is your level of driving skill (be honest with yourself) especially when it relates to experience with powerful RWD vehicles.

Second, what have you driven in the past (ex. I have driven many muscle cars with gobs of HP and TQ. Sometimes I'd have them on curvy roads and in the the rain, bringing on big lurid powerslides to bring a smile to my face, and make my passengers %!#$ themselves) In other words I have plenty experience controlling power and oversteer. What about you?

Third, what climate/conditions do you drive in. Are you going to drive in snow? Does it rain allot where you live? Do you encounter slippery conditions, or dangerous roads allot?

If you have pretty positive answers to these questions, then you probably don't need VDC. If not then it's probably a good safety net. I personally won't spring for VDC myself, as I love drifting a car around a corner, and generally hanging it sideways, and I'm confident in my abilities. I was driving powerful cars long before VDC was even available, but I can't say I didn't have any near misses along the way. Whether you get it or not shouldn't have anything to do with stats, specs or others opinions, it should be based on your skill, your experience, and the conditions you drive in.

What do YOU think?

Good luck,
Tony
Old 03-27-2003, 12:27 AM
bastard

Lightbulb I could, quite possibly, be drunk

I think it's probably worth having for those times when you're not really paying attention and get into trouble. Obviously on the track you're not going to use it, but on the track you should be paying attention, damn it. It's a race.

I'd rather be alive $2000 poorer than dead with an extra $2000, even though that means I'd just have to go to work.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:29 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cultcar's post has very informative info (as do others)- think there is any chance we can make this a sticky?
Old 03-27-2003, 05:07 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

nah drunk drivers are invincible.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:46 PM
TonyZXT

This is probably just a dumb rumor I heard somewhere, but has anyone heard that even when switched off, the VDC will still operate sometimes? I think that would be a real PITA. Maybe that was traction control I'm thinking of though. What have you guys heard?

Damn, I knew all those drugs would come back to haunt me one of these days. My memory sucks!
Old 03-27-2003, 08:53 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

ive heard that too
im figured they just mean you cant disable the LSD which i see as a good thing
Old 03-27-2003, 09:13 PM
BurnOutz

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
ive heard that too
im figured they just mean you cant disable the LSD which i see as a good thing
How do you disable an LSD? I'm under the impression that it is mechanical (or is it in fact electrical?).
Old 03-27-2003, 09:16 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

you cant
thats what i think they mean by you cant entirely disable vdc
Old 03-27-2003, 10:05 PM
jeffrey

Default Re: Is VDC worth it?

Originally posted by prisoner
I am looking to get a ethusiast or performance Z. I don't know if I want to spend the extra for the VDC I have heard it is good for the curves, and thats what I care about the most. Does anyone know if VDC is really worth it?

and also, thank you all for the great info on this site!
VDC is worthless.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:17 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TCS/VDC does turn off if you disable it, but ABS does not. I think if you lightly apply the brakes when plowing through a corner (so the front wheels are slipping sideways a bit), the ABS can activate (even though you may only be slightly applying the brakes) and make it seem like the TCS or VDC is still on.

I defintely have noticed the affects of racing with VDC off.

-D'oh!
Old 03-27-2003, 10:44 PM
mark_wilkins

VDC isn't a big deal in dry weather if you know how to drive, but in wet weather (particularly if you're in Southern California and aren't used to it) it can be a lifesaver. Your expectations of where to find the car's limit go out the window with ice or water on the road.

-- Mark
Old 03-29-2003, 08:22 AM
TereP

Personally, I think VDC is entirely cool on very wet, puddled roads. Ever gone through a big, deep puddle on one side of your car and gotten the tremendous wheel jerk? I purposefully did this several times with the VDC on at increasing speeds on each pass. I got up to just about 50 mph before I was able to get more significant wheel pull, but still easily correctable. I didn't try it any faster because of potential body damage by hitting a puddle really fast (and getting into hydroplaning range). Basically, at normal driving speeds on secondary roads that tend to puddle up (35-40mph limits), you can just about go through the puddles with hands off the wheel when VDC is doing the driving fo you.

In warm weather on dry roads, I almost always turn VDC off -- enjoy a little "spirited" driving in those conditions.

So my vote is for VDC because of the significant roadability advantage gained in wet or slippery conditions.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:31 AM
jeffrey

It always amazes me that people spend all this money on a sports car that they want to drive itself. What ever happened to driver skill?

So now TCS and VDC are mandatory to drive in the wet and it's not safe with out them?

Eeesh.

*Thinks some of these people should sell their Z's and buy Accords*
Old 03-29-2003, 12:41 PM
dr_gallup

I think the VDC is a good thing for everyday driving when your concentration may not be 100%. I have felt it engage in a few situations where I got caught out by a rapidly decreasing radius turn or unexpected road conditions (sand, water, etc.) The car would have pushed and run wide without the VDC, conceivably causing an accident although in my case there was no oncoming traffic. I always switch it off when I want to play around. It definately switches off with the switch. I've played around with it in some empty wet parking lots and the difference is readily detectable. The ABS can not be switched off and the limited slip is hydraulic (viscous coupling) so that can not be switched off.

Still, this is the first car I've had with VDC and I never missed it before. If the choice was a Z without VDC or no Z at all I'd definately skip the VDC.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:59 PM
TereP

Originally posted by jeffrey
It always amazes me that people spend all this money on a sports car that they want to drive itself. What ever happened to driver skill?

So now TCS and VDC are mandatory to drive in the wet and it's not safe with out them?

Eeesh.

*Thinks some of these people should sell their Z's and buy Accords*
I prefer to think of it as using technology to your advantage. Because the computer reacts faster than a human can, you get a distinct driving advantage in wet or slippery conditions -- which means you can drive much more aggressively than a driver without VDC on the same road conditions.

Eeesh.

* Thinks some people may be better suited to drive Model-Ts -- presuming you wish to forego high-tech... *

LOL... only in fun Jeff, not intended as a flame...
Old 03-29-2003, 01:11 PM
mark_wilkins

What ever happened to driver skill?
Hey, when I have to drive to work in the rain, I may be tired, or distracted, or unfamiliar with the particular conditions that I'm driving in. Why wouldn't I want a feature that will make the car respond with more fidelity to my control inputs?

Not every drive to work is a rally race...

-- Mark
Old 03-29-2003, 01:16 PM
mikeyngo

VDC is worth it. After my first 2000 miles with VDC on, I finally got the guts to turn off VDC and see how the car really handled.

Oh my freaking god. When you rev ur car around 3500k or so and let out the clutch and making a right turn, ur back tires go crazy and u start doing some crazy drifts...

This car is a monster and it needs VDC to calm it down.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:22 PM
jeffrey

Granted the Z is reasonably quick, it's no monster.

I guess years of AMA motorcycle racing have jaded me. Bikes have no such luxuries as ABS, VDC or TCS and are markedly faster due to a far superior power to weight ratio.

I hope none of you people ever intend on buying a sport bike. If your reliance on driver aids is any indication, you'll add to the motorcycle fatality statistic pretty quickly.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:46 PM
mark_wilkins

I hope none of you people ever intend on buying a sport bike. If your reliance on driver aids is any indication, you'll add to the motorcycle fatality statistic pretty quickly.
If you're routinely in the habit of riding your sport bike hard in wet or icy weather, it's more likely you'd be one of those statistics, because you're probably overestimating your skill at controlling the thing.

-- Mark
Old 03-29-2003, 05:10 PM
jeffrey

So with your logic I guess people without VDC or TCS just plain can't drive when it's wet or icey?

What have people been doing for the last 60 or so years without VDC and TCS when it rains or snows? Staying home? Be real.

All TCS and VDC are is another form of ABS. If you don't believe me, read up on it (StopTech has a great article on their site explaing what it does precisely). It's just another sales ploy to charge people more money and the majority of the car owners out there fell for it.

I grew up in New Orleans, LA. It rains about 150-200"/yr. I drive in the rain just fine.

Sportscars are supposed to be responsive and exhilirating. They aren't supposed to drive the car for you.

For me, VDC is a waste of money. All it does is take a ham fisted driver with little skill and cover up his faults. TCS.. I guess. I leave it on because it's on by default. If I could've gotten some money off of the car and gotten it without it, I would've in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: Is VDC worth it?