Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

friends+turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:04 PM
IronMedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default friends+turbo

hey guys, do any of you let people drive your car after you supercharge or turbo it? i personally refuse to let them do it.

tonight, i was letting my wife drive my Z and her friend. i trust them and they have driven it before. my car is still N/A. we got into a talk about putting a turbo on the car. i told my wife i refuse to let anyone drive it if i turbo the car. she asks why. i told her that it would be dangerous to let anyone else drive the car because they will be inclined to race and wreck. my wife has a heavy foot and her friend cant resist the urge to race my car.
i know my car very well and i have handled faster cars in the past. my wife pretty much told me that if i dont let her drive my car with a turbo on it, i wont be allowed to turbo it at all.

i explained to her that if someone blew my engine to bits due to their own stupidity or got a ticket in my car, ill be beyond pissed. some people just dont understand how much money goes into getting FI done.

i feel the only people who would drive my car are the test and tuners or people who already have turbo kits in their cars and i can confide in. what do you guys think?
Old 11-22-2006, 07:51 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

Not everyone knows the fundamentals of FI, or the power difference of the car. No to mention the modifications the car may have. Ex.6 puck copper clutch, lightweight flywheel etc.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by IronMedic
hey guys, do any of you let people drive your car after you supercharge or turbo it? i personally refuse to let them do it.

tonight, i was letting my wife drive my Z and her friend. i trust them and they have driven it before. my car is still N/A. we got into a talk about putting a turbo on the car. i told my wife i refuse to let anyone drive it if i turbo the car. she asks why. i told her that it would be dangerous to let anyone else drive the car because they will be inclined to race and wreck. my wife has a heavy foot and her friend cant resist the urge to race my car.
i know my car very well and i have handled faster cars in the past. my wife pretty much told me that if i dont let her drive my car with a turbo on it, i wont be allowed to turbo it at all.

i explained to her that if someone blew my engine to bits due to their own stupidity or got a ticket in my car, ill be beyond pissed. some people just dont understand how much money goes into getting FI done.

i feel the only people who would drive my car are the test and tuners or people who already have turbo kits in their cars and i can confide in. what do you guys think?
I believe a pimp slap is in order......
Old 11-22-2006, 08:47 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife pretty much told me that if i dont let her drive my car with a turbo on it, i wont be allowed to turbo it at all.

wut is that mess?? u wear the pants in this relationship right? *whip crackling* u drive the z cuz u can, she has say in, hmmm, wut broom 2 sweep with.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:32 AM
tonester1011
CF God

i let me gf drive my tt z. only when im with her though.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I only let 2 of my good friends drive my Z 1X each, NOBODY else. One was in a parking lot so I could hear it, the other I of course rode with and let him drive it after the rebuild. They dont have high powered cars but are very good drivers and are the only 2/3 people on this earth Id let drive my car. Of course Sharif drove my car when he tuned it, but hes used to the power
Old 11-23-2006, 02:12 PM
002-M-P

I let 2 people other than myself drive the car. My best friend since childhood has driven it many times, even alone two times. He was the only person by my side during all my installs on my cars for the past 5 years since I got my RX7. Then I let my father drive my car whenever I am home and he wants to. He is pretty timid and doesn't get on the throttle much, so it doesn't scare me.

I can't even remember the number of people who have asked to drive and I said no though.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:22 PM
xDIEGOx

Come on man grow some fuking ballz. Your gonna let the wifey decide if you can get a turbo or not based on you not letting her drive? Talk about whipped
Old 11-24-2006, 12:06 AM
IronMedic

my wifey makes alot more cash than i do haha! she is a nurse. she felt i was rude when i said "i wont let anyone drive my Z if i turboed it". i think i would let her drive it a couple of times but only with me there. my other alternative is to scare her to death with the turbo so she never wants to drive it period. im sure i can do some donuts or somewhat to influence her to stay away lol! she respects my Z and would not do anything bad but when she drove an STi for the first time, i thought i was going to die. she was too busy loving the turbo boost feeling and not watching the road or her speedo. the salesman and i thought it was the end that day haha!
Old 11-24-2006, 12:18 AM
josephchihweilu

if i had a turbo i wouldnt let anyone drive it. its alot of power to let someone mess around with
Old 11-24-2006, 12:49 AM
redman333

I don't let anyone drive my car, 1. because I have a single turbo and the torque curve is way too steep and most people won't expect the power. 2. I don't know whatI would do if some idiot crashed my car, I've put too much blood sweat and tears into my car.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Havok_RLS2

Agree with you completely.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:10 AM
captj3

I let 3 people drive the car. Myself my tuner and my wife who can probably take at least half you guys in a race with her eyes closed...lol Ironmedic it sounds like your wife would drive it and be hooked. She already has a lead foot...lol
Old 11-24-2006, 10:59 AM
TurboTrey

My car is bone stock and I don't let ANYONE drive my car unless it is a service person and they aren't going more than a few feet to pull the car in the bay or pull it around back.

I've seen way too any horror stories with friends where they wrecked other friends cars and the insurance company shorts them on the value and then drops them.

Unless you are making the payments on the car and pay for the insurance and gas....I'll keep the keys.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:53 PM
IronMedic

in stock form, i have only let my wife and one of my friends drive it. he respects my car so i let him drive it. the funny part is that he thought he was street racing a mustang with it a few nights ago. come to find out, he was stuck in traffic with a stang next to him and driving 10mph. i think he won with my car just from good looks alone he was just being silly with me. my wife was with him haha!
i think if i do turbo my Z, ill just scare her to death with it and make her understand that she will wreck my car with her lead foot and she will replace my Z one way or another.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

The few people i have let drive my car before the TT, i was sure to tell them that if they wreck the car, they MUST use their insurance to cover all damages. I'm not sure if that's even possible or not, but a few of my friends that asked, decided they didn't want to drive it after all. Now that it's TT'd and has MANY more thousands of dollars under the hood, my wife is going to be the only other person to drive it... maybe... .. .. but probably not...

Actualy, nevermind. I'm the sole driver now.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:58 PM
johnlotusboy

I let the wife drive my Lotus Turbo Esprit, once.
After she had it step out about 3 feet sideways on and on ramp @ 50mph, she has never asked to drive ANY of my collection of cars and when I offer she refuses. She won't even ask to drive my Cheeso Metro commuter car.
Her Camry is her car.

Go ahead and scare her!!
Old 11-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Zexy

Is it your money you spend on the Z and mods? If it is she better check herself and what the hell she's saying.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:38 PM
bofa

Haha..

There's usually no "my money, her money" once your married... but yeah just learn to comprimise when it comes to big purchases. That alleviates any obligation of entitlement.

Oh yeah, my wife doesnt know how to drive a manual so the closest she'll ever get to driving my car is sitting in the drivers seat in the garage.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:30 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

too many people in this world think they know what they are doing! So noone drives my Z but me!