Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Lasting effects of burning the clutch disc

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 07:34 PM
erick958

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lasting effects of burning the clutch disc

So I read a few posts on how people have let friends or relatives drive their cars and end up regreting it when they screw up the clutch. Well, I made the same mistake, and now I am looking for some info that I wasn't able to locate by searching. For about 2 days after this guy burns my clutch disc all to crap, I was still smelling that sweet, burnt smell. My question is, should I continue to have that smell for quite a few miles if he burned it pretty bad, or should it have disappeared by now? (its been about 2 weeks since it happened) I have a very limited knowledge as far as clutch systems go, but I have a theory, so if anyone can tell me if I am wrong then please let me know. I know that the disc was cooked pretty good. My guess is that the surface of the clutch disc is still burned, and I am continuing to smell it as the disc wears away during my daily driving. It still smells after so long because I don't drive my Z as a daily driver. I bought it in July and have only put 1400 miles on it since then. I hope this is the case. The only other thing that I can think of is that somehow this guy also screwed up the clutch pedal and the engagement point of the clutch, causing the clutch to not fully engage and my clutch disc is spinning against the flywheel even when the pedal is fully released. I would appreciate some input on this so I know whether a trip to the dealer is necessary or not. BTW, I know I'm an idiot for letting this happen. Trust me, no one's driving my baby anymore unless it's me or my wife.

Car Info: 06 Touring Roadster
Old 11-23-2006, 07:37 PM
HighwaySpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Welcome!

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain-50/

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/