Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Qaife LSD and 3.9 gears- sam install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:29 PM
rock350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Qaife LSD and 3.9 gears- sam install?

Hey guys, I know do a search, tried for a while, lol. Not sure if I'm asking something of common knowledge? (flame suite on )
I have an 05 base, want to install a Quaife LSD, and from what i've read, the 3.9 gears are a great mod too. - Question - do you know if I can purchase the Quaife with the 3.9 gears already installed?
I know i could just call a Quaife distributor but everything is closed right now and you guys are so damn smart!!
Thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Fluid1

I don't think that there is anywhere that you could get that other than maybe a member with that setup who wanted to sell it. I know that there is one shop in Florida who sells different differential setups, but I believe they use the stock VLSD with the 3.9 fd. It would be great if there was a shop who did do this, maybe like a core exchange program....
Old 01-31-2007, 08:35 PM
philude

i would be interested in this combination as well, sure would save me a lot of time. doesn't sound cheap though.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:41 AM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

rock350z

I see you are from Kelowna. I may be wrong, but the base open differential model was not offered in Canada as far as I know. Did you import your car from the US?

I had to import a US base model pumpkin to do the work you are suggesting. Bought the quaife from one retailer and the FD from another and have a local shop to do the work. Also helps if anything is wrong with the install you can deal locally vs shipping back and forth from the states which can be costly.

I do not know of any quaife retailers in canada or the US that would offer a package assembled deal.

hope that helps

pp
Old 02-01-2007, 01:55 PM
rock350z

hey palepony, yeah i bought the car from the states. Did you purchase the quaife and FD in canada or ship from the states? am i understanding you here - you purchased a pumpkin, a quaife LSD and 3.9 FD gears, all from seperate sources? Could you not have just bought the LSD and installed it into the stock diff as it already has the axle stubs that are required.?
I will probably purchase the parts online and have a local shop install like u suggested
Do u like the LSD and gears? big difference?
Thanks for your input, cheers
Old 02-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

correct no one out there sells a prepackaged setup with the diff and gears installed

that being said, we carry both the gears and diff, so if you wanted, could easily arrange a package price for ya Then all you need is find a used pumpkin (I can refer you someplace), and bring it to your installer and viola...you'll have maybe 2 hours of downtime with your car
Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 PM
palepony

rocks

figured you had a US model.

yes, I did buy from 3 different sources. The reason I went with the quaife is that I was sold by the silent seemless operation and lifetime warranty. As I was not keen on downtime for my car, I purchased another pumpkin, and allowed me to choose a base open pumpkin. I did look at the cusco RS which at 60% lock has been reported as a very civil LSD, but in the end elected for the quaife.

I tried to buy all parts locally - again, for reasons that if any problems then it is would be easier to deal with it. However, only the part available locally was the LSD.

I purchased the 3.9FD from another member in the US but they were damaged. Fortunately the seller took them back, but it was a hassel. I have purchased new ones from Z1 and am awaiting their arrival (? any news on that Adam?). So I do not have any reviews yet.

The problem for me was finding a local shop that was able to do the work. No-one had done the swap in Calgary. So you may be at the mercy of your local pricing. I used RCTS in Calgary which is a highly regarded performance shop that had done gear swaps for supra's, lexus', honda's.

PM me if you want to know the price I paid for everything. I would highly recommend Z1 however if you are going to buy parts from the US.

pp
Old 02-01-2007, 07:22 PM
rock350z

Thanks Pony and Z1, just the info I was looking for. Will definately deal with Z1 in the future. Later
Old 02-01-2007, 07:36 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by palepony
The reason I went with the quaife is that I was sold by the silent seemless operation and lifetime warranty.
I had one in my FWD car and it was awesome. It will feel perfectly OEM like but offer much better traction when both wheels are on the ground. Lift a wheel and it's all gone. My fwd car had this issue.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:51 PM
palepony

rocks - PM'd you back

SR20 - agreed, the only downside to the gear based LSD is losing function if you lift a wheel. The civil nature of the quaife for daily driving offset that for me personally. For a dedicated race car - clutch based would likely be the recommended LSD. However, members have reported that a very happy medium is the Cusco RS at 60% lock, as mentioned above.

pp
Old 02-02-2007, 11:30 AM
mavtais

Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
I had one in my FWD car and it was awesome. It will feel perfectly OEM like but offer much better traction when both wheels are on the ground. Lift a wheel and it's all gone. My fwd car had this issue.
Hmmm.. interesting. If that is the case, I don't know if I really want one anymore to replace my Nismo.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:23 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by mavtais
Hmmm.. interesting. If that is the case, I don't know if I really want one anymore to replace my Nismo.
I doubt the nismo is much different. Jack one tire off the ground and see if you can move the car. I bet you just spin that tire that is in the air. Try it, I have on another clutch type lsd I have and it's just spins like any other open diff. I would be real curious if the Nismo is any different.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:29 PM
philude

Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
I doubt the nismo is much different. Jack one tire off the ground and see if you can move the car. I bet you just spin that tire that is in the air. Try it, I have on another clutch type lsd I have and it's just spins like any other open diff. I would be real curious if the Nismo is any different.
it'd be funny if he tries it and his car flies off the jack...
Old 02-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

clutch diffs work with 1 or 2 tires on the ground...that is their primary advantage vs Helical units (that and many clutch units have tuning adjustments to them for lockup and action)

PP - set to arrive next week for ya (towards the latter part I am told)
Old 02-02-2007, 03:17 PM
palepony

Originally Posted by mavtais
I am still learning when it comes to my road course driving. I think it takes some pretty aggressive driving to lift a wheel, and I dont quite have the ***** yet . At present, my driving is the limiting step, not the LSD. I will definitely report back on my first session this year once the snow melts

There is an interesting discussion on the same topic in the autocross section going on right now - https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/246405-autocrossers-and-road-racers-what-differential.html

Thanks for the update Adam.

pp
Old 02-02-2007, 06:26 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
clutch diffs work with 1 or 2 tires on the ground...that is their primary advantage vs Helical units (that and many clutch units have tuning adjustments to them for lockup and action)

PP - set to arrive next week for ya (towards the latter part I am told)
Have you tried it? I was under the same impression as you. Try it before you say it does. Prove me wrong. The other guy proved me wrong so I am not as much of a believer in clutch types in this one regard until someone actual proves it to me. I had a 4 Wheeler basically say this to me and I was "No way". He showed me and explained that very, very few clutch's actual lock with a wheel in the air. I can tell you this. The Nismo FWD diff will not provide power to a wheel if the other is in the air.

Edit: I will add that the FWD Nismo is superior to the quaife when one wheel barely has any traction. In that situation it can stay locked longer then the Quaife which will loose traction sooner. I tried this on my RWD Truck and it does not lock in the air either. So thats two clutch type that don't lock with a wheel all the way off the ground. If you have a Clutch it only takes a second to prove me wrong, jack the car up, put it on some blocks and just barely let the clutch out. My guess is the wheel will spin. Don't force it, if by some chance it locks you don't want to rock the car off. So have it on a solid mount that can't tip.

Last edited by 98sr20ve; 02-02-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I can't comment on what the FWD NISMO diff does or does not do - nor do I see how it's relevant here

I know what my Cusco diff does, and I know what the clutch type LSD in my Datsun does as well (which replaced a Quiafe)

Perhaps the diff in the front of whatever vehicle you are talking about has some insanely weak lockup
Old 02-03-2007, 08:32 AM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I can't comment on what the FWD NISMO diff does or does not do - nor do I see how it's relevant here

I know what my Cusco diff does, and I know what the clutch type LSD in my Datsun does as well (which replaced a Quiafe)

Perhaps the diff in the front of whatever vehicle you are talking about has some insanely weak lockup
So are you saying you put a wheel in the air and it locked?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:05 AM
Fluid1

So, to those already posting in this thread, which differential would you most recommend for a base model? Quaife has my attention, for ease of install, no extra parts. It will be combined with a 3.9 fd
Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Quaife

Quick Reply: Qaife LSD and 3.9 gears- sam install?