Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Understanding clutch chatter.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Cloud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding clutch chatter.

Spent months reading stuff on clutch chatter and finally got a combo... sadly, it chatters really loudly.
I have the JUN flywheel & Nismo clutch.

I can't stand the noise anymore because it gives me headaches.
I'm thinking of getting a new combo but I need to find out whether it is the clutch or flywheel making the noise.

The JUN flywheel is a 1 piece chromoly flywheel and most owners have said that it is one of the most quiet flywheels when mated with clutches such as stock or clutchmasters. So it's sort of less likely that the JUN flywheel is making the noise.

The Nismo clutch is an unsprung hub clutch(not dampened), and according to nismo owners with the 21lbs flywheel it still chatters! So could it be that the nismo clutch is the cause of all this chatter?

Any nismo clutch owner that has a completely silent nismo clutch? Please let me know what flywheel you're using. This way I know that there exists silent nismo clutches...
Old 02-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Jason@Riverside
Vendor - Former Vendor

All aftermarket flywheels are going to chatter...

THe OE flywheel is Dual Mass... Basicly two hunks of metal put together with a sprung damper in the middle... It absorbs most all of the "chatter"...

When the aftermarket single piece flywheels are introduced, the damper is no longer presant hence the sound comes in...

What you need to do is know how to control the chatter...

The flywheel chatter is presant at idle 99% of the time... Not much you can do to avoid that except press in the clutch pedal every time...

The flywheel chatter is presant from low RPM up to 2500RPM depending on the flywheel you have... If driving in 6th gear and you are at 1500RPM, down shift to 5th, and you will be above the "Chatter Zone"

If you can control the RPM's to be above where chatter is presant that will be the best thing you can do...
Old 02-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Cloud

I drove someone else's car with the JWT combo and the chatter is so much less than my nismo...almost inaudible
Old 02-03-2007, 07:18 AM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of people here are confusing clutch chatter and gear lash noise. They are two completely different things. Clutch chatter occurs ONLY when the clutch is being slipped, period. Nothing else. Gear lash noise is what a dual-mass flywheel helps prevent. For a better explanation on gear lash :

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

Cliffs: Get a clutch disk with a sprung hub.

Last edited by nismology1; 02-03-2007 at 07:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
appiebroomer (11-23-2021)
Old 02-03-2007, 08:33 AM
peptidbond

Miamimax might have a good point about gear lash noise.

I have a 2003 track and I have always, always had a "clutch rattle" when at idle and the clutch engaged (pedal up). When I drop the pedal, it goes away.

However, I can also hear the gear lash noise. I don't mind the gear lash, but the clutch rattle drives me nuts. Since it is a stock clutch and flywheel, it just makes me think the clutch was installed without any percision.