InGalls Engine Torque Damper "The Stiffy"

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Robert,

I'll be surprised if you do notice any difference. The engine in our cars just doesn't move that much. I have less than a 1/8" of clearance between my strutbar and plenum, yet I don't have problems with rubbing. That tells me that there's not a whole lot of engine rocking back and forth. That's also why I wasn't surprised when Rob @ Ingalls told me they weren't proceeding with developing one for the Z.

Dave
It seems to me that our engines move a LOT actually! I was strongly considering getting solid motor mounts...
Old 02-26-2007, 08:12 PM
supra crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't look like it will work if you have a aftermarket strut bar to clear a plenum (Crawford and APS)
Old 02-26-2007, 08:55 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you dont think your engine moves alot, take off your cat brace for your exhaust or if you dont have one start your car cold when it idles high and look underneath it at the testpipes/cats and then come back and say it doesnt move. It looks like it is going to shake apart. Im still considering solid mounts with some thin rubber bushings... That could possibly make it bearable for daily driving use, considering i drive my Z at least 1500 miles a month or more.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:05 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
It seems to me that our engines move a LOT actually! I was strongly considering getting solid motor mounts...
Maybe you have a broken motor mount
Old 02-27-2007, 04:26 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by supra crazy
Doesn't look like it will work if you have a aftermarket strut bar to clear a plenum (Crawford and APS)
InGalls is working on a bracket that APS/Crawford strut brace owners could use.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:11 AM
IngallsEng

DavesZ> Rob and Brad both thought the engine didn't move very much as standard when it wasn't under load, but in my experience the 350Z with even minimal mods (like test pipes, cross pipe, and an intake manifold spacer) can move quite well in the engine bay. Robert's car had rubbing marks on the upper half of the intake manifold where it had made contact with the spaced strut tower bar. Again, they gauged the movement of the engine when it wasn't under load. On the dyno (under load) I noticed engine movement on Robert's car, just like every other modded Z I've seen dyno. Is it tremendous, no...is it enough that I think our kit helps driving and shift feel, yes. I'm curious to get Robert's take on the NVH increase, but otherwise I think our kit does something besides look pretty.

Like Robert mentioned, I am working on a template that would allow APS and Crawford bar owners to use our kit. The downside is that those users interested in using our kit and those bars would need to drill through the strut tower bar mount and place our mount over the top of that. I'm not a huge fan of cutting or drilling to make parts fit, but in this case I know that this will not cause any issue with fitment or function of either part. Maybe I can join forces with one of those companies and see if they would be interested in making a passenger side bracket with the hole already designed in? Then again, that could be a pipe dream.

Last edited by IngallsEng; 02-27-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Vash350Z

Originally Posted by IngallsEng
DavesZ> Rob and Brad both thought the engine didn't move very much as standard when it wasn't under load, but in my experience the 350Z with even minimal mods (like test pipes, cross pipe, and an intake manifold spacer) can move quite well in the engine bay. Robert's car had rubbing marks on the upper half of the intake manifold where it had made contact with the spaced strut tower bar. Again, they gauged the movement of the engine when it wasn't under load. On the dyno (under load) I noticed engine movement on Robert's car, just like every other modded Z I've seen dyno. Is it tremendous, no...is it enough that I think our kit helps driving and shift feel, yes. I'm curious to get Robert's take on the NVH increase, but otherwise I think our kit does something besides look pretty.

Like Robert mentioned, I am working on a template that would allow APS and Crawford bar owners to use our kit. The downside is that those users interested in using our kit and those bars would need to drill through the strut tower bar mount and place our mount over the top of that. I'm not a huge fan of cutting or drilling to make parts fit, but in this case I know that this will not cause any issue with fitment or function of either part. Maybe I can join forces with one of those companies and see if they would be interested in making a passenger side bracket with the hole already designed in? Then again, that could be a pipe dream.
Dan,

Any plans on making an alternate bracket for us guys with blowers? As you can imagine, our motors move quite a bit
Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan, can you test fit it on the JWT TT and let me know if it fits?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
Dan, can you test fit it on the JWT TT and let me know if it fits?
Dave 90TT will be coming by my house Saturday to install the ETD on his JWT TT G35.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

If it fits, I'll let you know

Dave
Old 02-28-2007, 10:04 AM
IngallsEng

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
If it fits, I'll let you know

Dave
Dave, if the brackets don't work with the TT setup, let me know and we can try to bring you in for a revised bracket (obviously we'll give you any new brackets and a whole new kit if thats the case). I really want our ETD kit to work with the Single and Twin Turbo'd cars.

Vash, I'd like to see if I can find a supercharged Z or G local to us so I can figure out what modifications or changes in bracket design we would need to make for proper fitment. If there isn't a lot of changes required to make our kit work, we would pobably work that into any revised turbocharged bracket design. If I need to move the damper to the rear of the engine it could be some time until I have a production version available. We'll see though, I'll try to find a blown Z in the next few weeks.

USN, I trust Dave to give a fair representation of how our product fits with the TT setup. If our current design doesn't fit, I will push for a new bracket design.

Pics and a short (crappy quality, sorry) video here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....22#post3379622

Thanks all,
Dan
Old 02-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Maybe you have a broken motor mount
nope, but I still think you're nuts if you say the motor doesn't move that much
Old 02-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

I don't think the JWT kit will be a problem; what I think might be a problem, though, is that the top of the struts are different from G to Z. I wasn't thinking about that earlier. Oops....

Anyways, if it doesn't fit, I would have no problem bringing it up to design a new strut bracket. I go up to MAC Autosports pretty often, so I wouldn't mind another trip.

I'll let you know how it works this weekend.

Dave
Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 PM
IngallsEng

Dave,
Sadly, the MAC trip was a special occasion, not a regular thing. We do all our R&D and testing in Louisville (50 minutes/52 miles from MAC's location). I made the drive as a apology to Robert for those who held my job before I started here giving him the run around. He was supposed to be our R&D vehicle, he got cut out of that deal, and I needed to make ammends.
If the drive doesn't scare you off, then if/when we need to do R&D for the G Coupe I will immediately contact you for that. Let me know what you are thinking and we can figure out the scheduling.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Oh, what I meant is that if I can drive to MAC, I can drive a bit further. It's not a big deal.

Let me see if it fits this weekend, and we can go from there. If necessary, I'll gladly make the drive.

Dave
Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

UPDATE: I've had my Stiffy for about two weeks now. (Sorry bad attempt at a joke.) Anyhow, The InGalls ETD "Stiffy" has been on my car for a good two weeks now. I have to be honest. I couldn't "feel" a difference in the car. However performance wise the car does launch a lot better. It seems as if everything is working together now to get the power to the ground. Friday I will be at the track really testing it. As mentioned I plan on running a couple lap with it installed and a couple w/o to get best results.
As of right now... If you are a big drag racer I would suggest the InGalls ETD "Stiffy".
Old 03-07-2007, 05:27 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Oh, damn, I forgot to post here.

It looks like the strut part of the ETD won't fit on the G due to the different design of the top of the stru on the G. Of course, the aftermarket STB I have on my G doesn't help, but even if it wasn't there, the bracket for the ETD still would not fit.

Dan, if you want to work out a time with me to drive up, we can figure out how to make this work. If not, I think I have a ETD that I want to sell....

Dave
Old 03-07-2007, 07:50 AM
arizzee

Were you able to see if the stiffy would interfere with the jwt tt piping?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Let me take another look at it tonight, but I'm pretty sure it won't interfere
Old 03-07-2007, 09:54 AM
IngallsEng

Dave, we'll put something together for G crowd then, I need to figure out what our R&D schedule looks like. If you can't use the 350Z ETD, you should definately sell it. I'll drop you a line next week or so after my boss gets back in town and he tells me when I can work on another ETD design.
Dan
~edit~ I'm sorry our damper couldn't work for your car for this upcoming track day, but I imagine you'll still have fun. I'm eagerly awaiting Robert's track experience and the resulting opinion of our product.

Last edited by IngallsEng; 03-07-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: InGalls Engine Torque Damper "The Stiffy"