Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Which aftermarket LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:22 AM
punish_her

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Verry few people have used, moreless written about the Tomei Techitrax. I will tell you if any one suggests it for a primarily street use proceed with the following: laugh, hold stomach, point, and have a goofy look on your face.

Dont get me wrong I have it and love it but it is EXTREMELY agressive from the factory set at 80% lock, grabs like its about to punch you in the back of the head and chirps the inside tires at normal driving speeds on sharp turns. But if you want to run like a sonamabich,its great for it. The application Im using it for is definately not intended solely for the street even though this is my daily driver. When I get off this rock, she's gonna see ALOT more track time.

This was mainly a pre-emptive post. To give another option if you ever needed to go that route.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:08 PM
TuscaniJon

I dont want to much noise but good LSD which should I get NISMO or CUSCO RS?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cusco is far quieter than the NISMO.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:16 PM
TuscaniJon

do you have availiable? whole kit everything for install, shipped to 60046
Old 03-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

yes they are in stock, ready to go
Old 03-16-2007, 07:39 AM
nathanwl2004

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
yep on a street car, I'd def go with the Quiafe and call it a day - it is well worth the momey over the NISMO on a primarily street driven car.

why does everyone say that the quaife is primarily for the street?

does it perform poorly on the track?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Phantom Menace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nathanwl2004
why does everyone say that the quaife is primarily for the street?

does it perform poorly on the track?
+1. Alot post disclaimers "for the street," what's up with that? Does it suck at the track? Is it, atleast, a better all around LSD than OEM?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:31 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

It's not that it performs poorly at the track, it just is not quite as "trackable" when compared to the Cusco, ATS and other clutch type units. One thing to keep in mind is everyone has a very different definition of track. An HPDE event, IMHO, is not the same as a competitive track day - and as such, the setups can, and should be very different.

Yes, the Quiafe is a vast improvement vs the stock viscous unit, whishc is not suitable for any higher performance use at all, as it simply overheats and becomes useless.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Phantom Menace
+1. Alot post disclaimers "for the street," what's up with that? Does it suck at the track? Is it, atleast, a better all around LSD than OEM?
Like Z1 mentioned, it is very much personal preference. Many race teams and privateers use the Quiafe in competitive situations. Others prefer the feel of a locking cluch style LSD on the track.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Phantom Menace

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Like Z1 mentioned, it is very much personal preference. Many race teams and privateers use the Quiafe in competitive situations. Others prefer the feel of a locking cluch style LSD on the track.
Aaah. I get it. Thanks, brother...
Old 03-19-2007, 02:45 PM
helldorado

This is the logic behind why people say the Quaife is not a good option for track use.

When you tripod the vehicle and manage to raise one of the rear tires off the ground, the Quaife will react similar to an open differential and send the power to the wheel that is off the ground. Because of its torque biasing nature, both wheels need a certain bit of resistance. If one wheel has 0 resistance, such as in the air or on ice, it can't bias torque to the other axle shaft.

Also, a Quaife will react similar to a 1 way or open differential when you start to get wheel spin or kick out the back end. As soon as you let off the gas, it stops biasing torque. Where as a 1.5 or 2 way diff will remain locked. If you're losing your rear end, letting off the gas with the Quaife will help you to control it. With a 1.5 way diff, that's not the case.

So as said before, depending on your driving style, one might suit you better than the other. Unless you have a lot of RWD track experience and have been trained to recover a vehicle that is on the verge of losing adhesion, the Quaife is a much safer alternative for the average driver in recovering from a bad situation.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:52 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the explanation helldorado, I always wondered what the deal was with the Quaife LSD too. Sounds almost like a pointless in a way if it sends power to the wheel the is losing grip - I mean, why not just stick with the stock LSD then?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 PM
streetracer

I don't know about your area, but where live they practically threw away the Nismo LSD for the Quife to be used in hardcore circuit race cars. I'm talking about Performance Nissan built race cars with their lsd's swapped out for the Quaife because the Nismo sucked. Our tracks are short distance based with tight cornering and very few straights. Tracks were evos and stis shine.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:06 PM
drifter23

Sorry, if I am hijacking the thread I have a question LSD related...

Does anyone know if, a 2003 350Z track edition LSD with the complete pumpkin will bolt on a 2004 Base model Z with no modifications or extra parts needed...? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by drifter23; 03-19-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:33 PM
helldorado

Originally Posted by sentry65
thanks for the explanation helldorado, I always wondered what the deal was with the Quaife LSD too. Sounds almost like a pointless in a way if it sends power to the wheel the is losing grip - I mean, why not just stick with the stock LSD then?
Because the stock LSD is garbage and under hard driving, the viscous liquid will eventually overheat from shearing and lose all of its ability to transfer torque between the impellers through its high viscosity.

The quaife is still superior to a locking diff for positive traction. Locking diffs, so just that, lock. All your doing then is limiting wheel spin by keeping it spinning too much faster than the wheel that has grip (and is spinning slower). Unless, you're at 100% lock, as soon as your wheels start to spin with a LSD, the most wheel torque you're applying to the ground is that of the wheel with the most grip, which is not the wheel with the most driving torque. The wheel with the most driving torque is the one that is slipping.

The quaife uses the helical gears to bias torque from side to side. So if you're losing grip on one tire, the internal gear bias ratio multiplies that torque to the side that has more resistance, meaning grip. The Quaife is always biasing torque wheel to wheel to ensure maximam torque is sent to each wheel at its adhesion limits.

Until you've lost all grip with one of the wheels on the Quaife, it will almost give you the most torque to the wheels that have the most traction. That's why its so popular with racing teams. Its just that you have to understand how it reacts at the limits and change your driving style accordingly.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by helldorado
This is the logic behind why people say the Quaife is not a good option for track use.

When you tripod the vehicle and manage to raise one of the rear tires off the ground, the Quaife will react similar to an open differential and send the power to the wheel that is off the ground. Because of its torque biasing nature, both wheels need a certain bit of resistance. If one wheel has 0 resistance, such as in the air or on ice, it can't bias torque to the other axle shaft.

Also, a Quaife will react similar to a 1 way or open differential when you start to get wheel spin or kick out the back end. As soon as you let off the gas, it stops biasing torque. Where as a 1.5 or 2 way diff will remain locked. If you're losing your rear end, letting off the gas with the Quaife will help you to control it. With a 1.5 way diff, that's not the case.

So as said before, depending on your driving style, one might suit you better than the other. Unless you have a lot of RWD track experience and have been trained to recover a vehicle that is on the verge of losing adhesion, the Quaife is a much safer alternative for the average driver in recovering from a bad situation.
Helldorado, how does the Quaife respond on the circuit track, when pushed near the limits of rear adhesion. I have only used clutch style LSD's on the track, and have always wondered how the Quaife would perform on a RWD car on the circuit course. I have found that the clutch style LSD's give very consistent and uniform rear end control when locked in the corners, and allows for very easy corrections when things get a little harry.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:21 PM
helldorado

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Helldorado, how does the Quaife respond on the circuit track, when pushed near the limits of rear adhesion. I have only used clutch style LSD's on the track, and have always wondered how the Quaife would perform on a RWD car on the circuit course. I have found that the clutch style LSD's give very consistent and uniform rear end control when locked in the corners, and allows for very easy corrections when things get a little harry.
Sharif, I haven't had a chance to take the car to the track since getting my Quaife installed at the end of last summer, but in all situations I've had the car in, the Quaife is very predictable. Because I'm still a beginner at that level, the Quaife is good because if I start to push it too far, I can let off the gas and allow it to settle.

The one thing I've found is it can snap back like an open diff, where a 1.5 or 2 way clutch pack diff will still have the "drift effect" and be smoother when you're letting off the gas. So if you overcorrect with the Quaife, it can get jerky, but throttle control is key since you have to keep power applied to it to keep biasing torque.

Like I said before, if you know what to expect, it just forces a different driving style on how you approach turns. What you need to do is approach the turn a bit slower, taking a harder apex, but you can power out of the turn much earlier. Basically, it forces the old, "slow in, fast out," style of driving, where a locking diff allows you take a wider line more easily.

Last edited by helldorado; 03-19-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:55 PM
deviljon

Originally Posted by streetracer
I don't know about your area, but where live they practically threw away the Nismo LSD for the Quife to be used in hardcore circuit race cars. I'm talking about Performance Nissan built race cars with their lsd's swapped out for the Quaife because the Nismo sucked. Our tracks are short distance based with tight cornering and very few straights. Tracks were evos and stis shine.
sorry for being OT, but did you need additional fluid with your nismo diff cover?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:59 AM
streetracer

Originally Posted by deviljon
sorry for being OT, but did you need additional fluid with your nismo diff cover?
I don't know. Everything was installed at once.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by drifter23
Sorry, if I am hijacking the thread I have a question LSD related...

Does anyone know if, a 2003 350Z track edition LSD with the complete pumpkin will bolt on a 2004 Base model Z with no modifications or extra parts needed...? Thanks in advance.
They will bolt right up.

Quick Reply: Which aftermarket LSD?