Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:22 PM
FastZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds a good time haha
Old 03-31-2007, 08:28 PM
HeadGames

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thought I might jump in the convo and give some of my opinions..and observations..

-Your not going to be able to beat a Cosworth head, or a custom head by HeadGames with a stock NISMO head. For the power your trying to achieve not only will you need any head you choose ported there will also have to be a better valvejob then the one provided by NISMO..I have a set in my shop(NISMO) and can better the head by 20cfm with a valvejob alone if that gives you any idea how bad they are from Nissan.

-on the other hand, a ported NISMO head would make more power because of the chamber design..not just because of the increase in compression but the actual design

-there is no reason you need to run a Ti valve in the NISMO heads..you can run any off the shelf valve in them, along with any spring package. We prefer the Ferrea for the VQ. Ti doesn't last forever, and the weight savings you would get would not be worth the aggravation of trying to replace them if something were to happen, and the loss of reliability you would lose.

-I don't see why you could not make 300whp out of 3.5 liters when I see 1.8 liter Honda's easily making 270+

-We don't have a website just yet..
Old 03-31-2007, 08:50 PM
nismology1

Since you seem to have a lot of insight on these heads has the excessive valve lash issue with standard aftermarket cams been fixed or do you still have to use ground nismo blanks or get shims made somehow?
Old 04-01-2007, 04:53 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the NISMO heads as mentioned, are designed for the upper levels of NA use

I can't comment on someone else's experience with these heads, all I know is we've sold 4 sets so far, 2 with NISMO cams, one with Tomei and the 4th the customer was having his own cams done as a custom set - no issues whatsover with any clearances.

As to which heads will benefit from what, I don't think anyone reading this thread is qualified to answer that. That is where the knowledge and experience of a GOOD machinist becomes invaluable. These heads provde the basis of a sick build - how it turns out is ultimately up to the machinist and the tuner.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:14 AM
nismology1

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
the NISMO heads as mentioned, are designed for the upper levels of NA use

I can't comment on someone else's experience with these heads, all I know is we've sold 4 sets so far, 2 with NISMO cams, one with Tomei and the 4th the customer was having his own cams done as a custom set - no issues whatsover with any clearances.
Which valves did they use? And is purchasing the nismo Ti valveset absolutely necessary or do the heads come with it? I'd actually rather go SS if possible...
Old 04-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

all used the NISMO ti valves

sorry no idea if any other valves are compatible off the shelf. Of course with machine work, anything is possible
Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 AM
HeadGames

As to which heads will benefit from what, I don't think anyone reading this thread is qualified to answer that. That is where the knowledge and experience of a GOOD machinist becomes invaluable. These heads provde the basis of a sick build - how it turns out is ultimately up to the machinist and the tuner.

I think one person reading this thread might have a clue

"Which valves did they use? And is purchasing the nismo Ti valveset absolutely necessary or do the heads come with it? I'd actually rather go SS if possible..."

As I mentioned above, you don't have to run a Ti valve, you can run a off the shelf valve, and there would be no machining necessary unless you would want to improve on the valvejob Nismo gives you.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:57 AM
scratch137

How much is a custom head package from your company Headgames? And what does it include?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:13 AM
HeadGames

I am not a forum sponsor and it would be unfair to them to post such a thing here, you may PM me, or contact MRC Motorsports as they are a dealer for us and a forum sponsor.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:16 AM
HeadGames

Stock VQ chamber

VS:

NISMO chamber

Alot of room for some creativity on the NISMO chamber
Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Reyes5937

Thank you for your input Sharif, Z1 and HeadGames.
I still have more questions.
I see that the stock heads have more a flat chamber unlike the Nismo head that are concave, but are the Cosworth the same as far as in the chambers as Nismo?
What is a 5 angle raidus cut valve job, does the Nismo, and Cosworth have that done?
Someone please educate me.

Thanks
David
Old 04-01-2007, 02:17 PM
HeadGames

Originally Posted by Reyes5937
Thank you for your input Sharif, Z1 and HeadGames.
I still have more questions.
I see that the stock heads have more a flat chamber unlike the Nismo head that are concave, but are the Cosworth the same as far as in the chambers as Nismo?
What is a 5 angle raidus cut valve job, does the Nismo, and Cosworth have that done?
Someone please educate me.

Thanks
David
The Cosworth, like most ported heads you will find easily are of stock castings meaning that they will not have the extra material in the chamber..it would be to much trouble to run that head on a boosted application unless they weren't using gasoline and that means not a street application at all.

-A 5 angle cut and a radius valve job are two different things. A five angle is just that, 5 angles cut into the seat and depending on the size of the valve will determine if it fits right. There is one common angle and that is a 45degree seat which is what the valve seals to(all heads have this, and most are 2-3 angles only from the factory)..Then the machinist can use his imagination of being air and also use the flow bench to determine what angles might work on that particular head. Example would be 35,45,62,70,90
You could work the angles to make somewhat of a radius but that won't work on the VQ intake side. And a radious can be just 3 angles, the third being the radius end of the valvejob.. valvejobs are the most criticle factor in headporting..it can make you or break you and is one of the most highly guarded secrets.(NISMO has only 3angles, and there a ****ty 3 at that..Ray Charles must have been on that design team)
An example of a 5 angle intake valvejob, you can see the angles cleanly because there different colors as the light hits them.

And a exhaust radius valvejob...sorry for the grinding marks.. it wasn't blended in yet!
Old 04-01-2007, 04:11 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Very good read..

Thanks guys
Old 04-01-2007, 05:51 PM
racin2fst4u

yeah thanks guys this was a good read
Old 04-01-2007, 06:05 PM
scratch137

W00t i finally just maybe maybe maybe started a useful thread! YES!!! lol i feel like a father...so full of excitement from what i have created lol.

On a side note, Headgames, i sent you a PM regarding some headwork, just checking wether you got it or not.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HeadGames
I think one person reading this thread might have a clue

"Which valves did they use? And is purchasing the nismo Ti valveset absolutely necessary or do the heads come with it? I'd actually rather go SS if possible..."

As I mentioned above, you don't have to run a Ti valve, you can run a off the shelf valve, and there would be no machining necessary unless you would want to improve on the valvejob Nismo gives you.

I was waiting for you to post here...figured you would find it
Old 04-02-2007, 06:55 AM
Sk8fe

I have been researching to try understand what all components/aspects of my stock motor would need to be addressed to have someone do a NA build. I thought I read in another thread that Cosworth starts with NISMO Spec 1 or Spec 2 heads and performs their "magic" from there. Can anyone speak to that?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

they don't^
Old 04-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Sk8fe

scratch137 if you don't mind me asking in your thread since we have some knowledgeable contributors, how do stroker kits factor in? Z350Lover (Richie) has done his NA rebuild and his motor can live all day at 8 grand and I've seen in-car video of him doing a throttle blip and burying the needle past 8 grand on his NISMO cluster. Are stroker kits to increase displacement high revers or do they make their power at lower RPMs (stock redline)? Can an 07 dual TB and intake be installed on earlier motors like my 03?

Last edited by Sk8fe; 04-03-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Sk8fe

they don't^
So the Cosworth's combustion chamber will look like the stock VQ's chamber and not like the NISMO's?

Quick Reply: J-Spec NA build