Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Nismo clutch and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:31 PM
joe645733

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo clutch and flywheel

hey guys. i got my car back from service yesterday and the guy said my clutch needed to be replaced asap and my flywheel had some "hotspots"

now, i asked him if an aftermarket clutch and flywheel would void my engine/drivetrain warranty. (i kinda knew he would say no, but i just asked).

and he said it would void it.

so then i thought of Nismo voiding. i asked him, and he said nismo is fine.

what sucks is that nismo is so overpriced. but i can see why, cuz it keeps your warranty. so figuring i need a new clutch/flywheel, i still have 15k miles till my warranty ends. so i think im gonna get the nismo clutch/flywheel

are they good mods? i saw that the nismo clutch weighs around 23 lbs. about 8lbs lighter than stock (am i gonna notice improvement?)

and i saw that clutches like JWT only weigh around 18lbs. should i just f*ck the warranty and go with JWT?

but what i really wanna know is if the nismo clutch/flywheel are strong, and even noticable towards performance. i dont want to be spending over 1k for nothing.

SORRY, for the question being so long. just lookin to purhase these 2 mods soon, thanks dudes
Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Aftermarket clutch and flywheels will not void your powertrain warranty. The dealership will just not warranty the parts. I got my JWT combo installed by Courtsey Nissan here in town. nothing is voided. I would go to another dealership.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 AM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the lighter JWT combo.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Michael@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by joe645733
hey guys. i got my car back from service yesterday and the guy said my clutch needed to be replaced asap and my flywheel had some "hotspots"

now, i asked him if an aftermarket clutch and flywheel would void my engine/drivetrain warranty. (i kinda knew he would say no, but i just asked).

and he said it would void it.

so then i thought of Nismo voiding. i asked him, and he said nismo is fine.

what sucks is that nismo is so overpriced. but i can see why, cuz it keeps your warranty. so figuring i need a new clutch/flywheel, i still have 15k miles till my warranty ends. so i think im gonna get the nismo clutch/flywheel

are they good mods? i saw that the nismo clutch weighs around 23 lbs. about 8lbs lighter than stock (am i gonna notice improvement?)

and i saw that clutches like JWT only weigh around 18lbs. should i just f*ck the warranty and go with JWT?

but what i really wanna know is if the nismo clutch/flywheel are strong, and even noticable towards performance. i dont want to be spending over 1k for nothing.

SORRY, for the question being so long. just lookin to purhase these 2 mods soon, thanks dudes

Alright well first i think you got ripped off. it sounds like you got your tranny replaced? correct me if im wrong. if you did get it replaced there is a service bulletin when replacing a transmission to also replace the clutch. so if your technician came back after replacing your transmission under warranty you got a problem. but if he didnt replace the transmission. how does he know you have hots spot on your flywheel and pressure plate.

either way if you do decide to go ahead and do a lightweight flywheel the JWT set up is very good if you going for just a basic aftermarket flywheel setup. the Nismo is yes pricey but dont forget its very high quality. ive put in many at the dealership and none have had any problems. the JWTis 14lbs i wieghted mine just before i put mine in. this is slightly lighter than the Nismo flywheel. Pedal pressure on both are very close to stock. nismo you really couldnt tell unless someone told you. you would figure it out once you drove it because the engagement point is much lower than stock which is very veyr high. JWT pedal pressure is just slightly heavier than stock which you can tell but still bearable in traffic. Just give us a call to talk more if you need to.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Ninja350Z
Living in 350Z

Default Flywheel

Chris at Forged just put the ACT HDSS clutch and the ACT Xact pro flywheel in my car and its a great improvemnt over stock, there is a little chatter but not unbearable.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:09 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The nismo clutch and flywheel are r-tune parts, they are not warrantied by Nissan. Your dealership can warranty their work, but not any r-tune nissan parts (inclusing the clutch/flywheel combo)
Old 04-05-2007, 10:04 AM
joe645733

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
The nismo clutch and flywheel are r-tune parts, they are not warrantied by Nissan. Your dealership can warranty their work, but not any r-tune nissan parts (inclusing the clutch/flywheel combo)
they sell the clutch and flywheel...
Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 AM
joe645733

Originally Posted by Michael@Forged
Alright well first i think you got ripped off. it sounds like you got your tranny replaced? correct me if im wrong. if you did get it replaced there is a service bulletin when replacing a transmission to also replace the clutch. so if your technician came back after replacing your transmission under warranty you got a problem. but if he didnt replace the transmission. how does he know you have hots spot on your flywheel and pressure plate.

either way if you do decide to go ahead and do a lightweight flywheel the JWT set up is very good if you going for just a basic aftermarket flywheel setup. the Nismo is yes pricey but dont forget its very high quality. ive put in many at the dealership and none have had any problems. the JWTis 14lbs i wieghted mine just before i put mine in. this is slightly lighter than the Nismo flywheel. Pedal pressure on both are very close to stock. nismo you really couldnt tell unless someone told you. you would figure it out once you drove it because the engagement point is much lower than stock which is very veyr high. JWT pedal pressure is just slightly heavier than stock which you can tell but still bearable in traffic. Just give us a call to talk more if you need to.
alright thanks alot dude. but u know how some clutches list what lbs of tq they can handle?

on all the sites ive looked at, the nismo clutch didnt list how strong it is. and by strong, im saying like, durability when maybe launching the car at 3k rpm's.

but youre saying the strength between stock and the nismo/JWT is just about the same?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 AM
DIMERYDER

i had the JWT/Nismo combo installed and it did not void my warranty.

it only voids the warranty if they can prove that the JWT flywheel or Nismo Clutch is the cause of the problem. when i got my new tranny, they even added 3 more years of warranty to my transmission.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 AM
joe645733

Originally Posted by DIMERYDER
i had the JWT/Nismo combo installed and it did not void my warranty.

it only voids the warranty if they can prove that the JWT flywheel or Nismo Clutch is the cause of the problem. when i got my new tranny, they even added 3 more years of warranty to my transmission.
hmm, did u complain that u wanted more warranty time? or did they just give it to u.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 AM
DIMERYDER

Originally Posted by joe645733
hmm, did u complain that u wanted more warranty time? or did they just give it to u.
they just gave it to me. they installed a brand new transmission w/ warranty. only the transmission was given the additional warranty. my 5year/60k drivetrain warranty remains the same.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:34 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Ninja350Z
Chris at Forged just put the ACT HDSS clutch and the ACT Xact pro flywheel in my car and its a great improvemnt over stock, there is a little chatter but not unbearable.
+1 if you are going to switch I would use the ACT HDSS clutch and Xact Prolite flywheel...