Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Ohio350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Problem

I am going to take my Z in tomorrow to check out 2 problems. About a week ago, my check engine light came on. Gas cap was on tight so I don't think that is the issue (was down to about 1/2 tank of gas). The check engine light has gone on and off a few times since then. I am also now hearing a whinning noise when the engine revs. It sounds almost like a bearing is going or a belt is slipping. The more I get on the gas the the louder the whine is. It is not a grinding noise. I am not sure if it is a belt slipping somehow (I doubt this), a bearing, or some problem with the alternator. I suspect the alternator may be going bad as the check engine light is going on and off. I will post what I find, I just hope it is not serious. By the way I have 7,900 miles on the Z
Old 04-17-2003, 10:42 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's too bad...

Keep us posted.

I've only seen the slipping belts that make the awful squealing sound (like when the power steering belt isn't tensioned properly, and everytime the car turns you get that squeak).

I hope your problem is as simple as a belt...

Good Luck!

-D'oh!
Old 04-19-2003, 06:54 AM
D_Nyholm

AFAIK, the check engine light will only come on if the problem effects emissions (smog). That would mean O2 sensors, and other sensor that controls gas/temp/air intake. If you exhaust is falling off or your alternator is bad, it wouldn't come on. If the Air Pump is going bad, then the light will come on. Maybe that is what it is?
Old 04-19-2003, 09:07 AM
2k3silver350z

mine came on solid 2 days ago. i retightened the gas cap and have driven it a few times. no weird noises but it won't go away.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your gas cap is on tight, then the light means take your Z in for service ASAP. I would not drive around with the light on. It could be minor or maybe not. You won't konw until they pull the codes.

By the way, the light will go out if the same error code is not generated after 3 trips.

See here for more info:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=17618

Last edited by Intrepid; 04-19-2003 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:50 AM
2k3silver350z

Originally posted by Intrepid
If your gas cap is on tight, then the light means take your Z in for service ASAP. I would not drive around with the light on. It could be minor or maybe not. You won't konw until they pull the codes.

By the way, the light will go out if the same error code is not generated after 3 trips.

See here for more info:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=17618
when the light is on solid it is for emissions control. this can no way harm your car. i took mine out today to get it checked and it turns out the emissions parameters for high to low were too close together. they adjusted the ECU for this and the light is gone. the car never drove differently with the light on.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Bashar368

is anyone else having the same problem, this is happening to me, but i don't know what the problem is
Old 04-11-2005, 07:46 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by Ohio350z
I am going to take my Z in tomorrow to check out 2 problems. About a week ago, my check engine light came on. Gas cap was on tight so I don't think that is the issue (was down to about 1/2 tank of gas). The check engine light has gone on and off a few times since then. I am also now hearing a whinning noise when the engine revs. It sounds almost like a bearing is going or a belt is slipping. The more I get on the gas the the louder the whine is. It is not a grinding noise. I am not sure if it is a belt slipping somehow (I doubt this), a bearing, or some problem with the alternator. I suspect the alternator may be going bad as the check engine light is going on and off. I will post what I find, I just hope it is not serious. By the way I have 7,900 miles on the Z
Do you have a Vortech?? JK