Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

LSD into base model Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 05:07 PM
TuscaniJon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD into base model Z

I want to put a LSD into my Base model Z but what else do I need for the install besides an LSD? and where can I get the rest for a resonable price?

thanks

Jonathan
Old 04-16-2007, 06:51 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quafie, and nothing else to buy.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:52 PM
streetracer

yep.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:12 PM
TuscaniJon

would this be a good LSD for drifting?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:17 PM
macsboost

Go QUAIFE!

ESP if you are FI.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:51 PM
TuscaniJon

I am leaning tword Cusco LSD
Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 PM
OCG35
Banned

anyone know where to get Quaife for reasonable price?...
Old 04-16-2007, 09:06 PM
TuscaniJon

^ that too lol
Old 04-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TuscaniJon
I am leaning tword Cusco LSD
Cusco MZ = Nismo LSD

Nismo LSD comes with everything you need to do the swap into a base Z, whereas the Cusco MZ does not.

Cusco RS is of course different then the MZ or the Nismo LSD, you'll need to buy the parts that come with the Nismo kit (LSD Stub axles ect).
Old 04-17-2007, 04:07 AM
streetracer

tuscan, don't beat the minkey. go quaife. topic has been discussed and is the best bet for a base. nismo is cheaper but there are other things neede to buy it.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by streetracer
tuscan, don't beat the minkey. go quaife. topic has been discussed and is the best bet for a base. nismo is cheaper but there are other things needed to buy it.
Nismo LSD comes with ALL the parts you need for a base car, NO other parts are needed. It all comes inside the box, down to LSD oil.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:54 AM
streetracer

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Nismo LSD comes with ALL the parts you need for a base car, NO other parts are needed. It all comes inside the box, down to LSD oil.

Thanks for the correction. So the the Nismo is the cheapest.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 AM
TuscaniJon

after reading some things on the quaife it sounds like a great LSD but more for the track, but I want for Drift will the quaife be good for that?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 AM
streetracer

I'm not a drifting expert but I can tell you my car locks up very hard. It is a no nonsense LSD. The differential will lock up if a wheel so much as hints of slippage. I even think it doesn't even slip one wheel and its already locked up.

If it can be used for drifting? I don't see why not.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

NISMO LSD will come with everything you need for an install on a base model. Stub axles, bearings, seals, etc.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

couple of options

Quaife - great for street cars, cars with some moderate track use. Can't comment on its drift prowess, never used it. Quietest one out of ANY made, no additional parts needed when installing into a base. Downside is if one wheel loses traction, bye bye lsd action and hello push. Not what I'd personally use on an all out track car, but also comes down to user preference.

Quaife:
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2349

Cusco RS - same diff I use in my car. More flexibility than the Quiafe in that you can adjust lockup (60%, 80%, 100% - I run 50% and recommend this for most use), and can adjust from 1.5 way (street and track) to 2 way (drift). Same diffs the Signal drift cars use, among many, many others. Once you switch to synthetic fluid (after 500-1000 miles), performs great...no excessive noises or clunks. In my car now since 2003 - one of my most favorite mods.

Cusco (install packs listed for base and non base models): http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ine&prodid=518

NISMO - similar levels of adjustment to the Cusco but all in all more "obnoxious" - louder and grabbier, regardless of the fluid you use. Upside, its cost, downside, it's day to day civility. Least street friendly of the bunch due to the noise and overall manners. We sell it, but not on our site for some reason (I'll fix that!)

ATS/Carbonetics - very quiet, carbon based LSD. Upside is its very smooth, and very quiet and civilized. Downside, no adjustability. Great for high hp cars, and would do well in drift scenarios as well.

ATS/Carbonetics (prices listed with and without install kits needed for base model cars): http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=2106

I've used all of them in various cars. Overall I prefer the Cusco as its the most versatile, and gives reasonable civility and simply works great. Next up would be a toss up between Carbonetics and Quaife - for drift I'd tend to go Carbonetics, for the least intrusive (in terms of lack of noise, etc) Id say Quaife

All excellent units overall, just refer to the above for useage

Adam
Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 AM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't drift with the Quaife. The quaife only locks up when torque is applied, meaning you're stepping on the gas. Similar to a 1 way locking differential. The quaife biases torque, it doesn't lock. It functions as an open diff when you're not applying power to it. Who thinks they can drift with an open diff?

You really need a 1.5 or 2 way locking diff to drift. That way its locking on both acceleration and deceleration. 1.5 way will have lighter lock tendencies on deceleration than a 2 way and is more streetable.

Best value, get the Nismo. Its an effective unit and includes all the parts you need, but it has the roughest engagement. Not overly civilized. Otherwise toss up between Cusco and ATS, but you'll need to source the axle stubs, side bearings, etc... which is going to add extra costs over the already more expensive units.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 AM
KhanMan

Is it true(or common maybe?) that the Nismo LSD can be a little noisy and there is nothing to fix it?

Last edited by KhanMan; 04-18-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by helldorado
You can't drift with the Quaife. The quaife only locks up when torque is applied, meaning you're stepping on the gas. Similar to a 1 way locking differential. The quaife biases torque, it doesn't lock. It functions as an open diff when you're not applying power to it. Who thinks they can drift with an open diff?

You really need a 1.5 or 2 way locking diff to drift. That way its locking on both acceleration and deceleration. 1.5 way will have lighter lock tendencies on deceleration than a 2 way and is more streetable.

Best value, get the Nismo. Its an effective unit and includes all the parts you need, but it has the roughest engagement. Not overly civilized. Otherwise toss up between Cusco and ATS, but you'll need to source the axle stubs, side bearings, etc... which is going to add extra costs over the already more expensive units.
you can drift with an open diff just fine....a locked diff just makes it easier
Old 04-18-2007, 11:01 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Add a 3.9 Gearset in there if you want a real rush too.

Quick Reply: LSD into base model Z