Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch and Flywheel? Or just flywheel?

Old 04-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Fletch69z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and Flywheel? Or just flywheel?

Ok,
I've been searching and doing research for a few weeks now but I wanted to concrete on last thing in my mind. I have done a ton of research and I understand the benefits to doing the clutch and flywheel at the same time. However, (you can see my mods below) I am not really pushing too much more power than a stock Z and I am wondering about the advantages or disadvantages of doing just the flywheel or both. I mostly just daily drive my car with track events maybe a couple of times a year. I was thinking about doing clutch/flywheel at the same time if it was necessary but because of the lack of additional power I am producing I'm thinking that maybe just the flywheel could be changed to improve response and also do 3.9 gears to again improve response. The other option is to do the clutch and flywheel at the same time, but again, what would be the reason since I don't have a need for more power handling via the clutch? Thanks for any advice ahead of time fellas,
Fletch
Old 04-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Devil Z

Flywheel allows for better response and such. Great mod to do.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Fletch69z

Yeah, I'm definitely going to do the flywheel. I'm just wondering, aside from the obvious benefit of saving another install down the road for a clutch (myself and a friend are doing the install, so cost isn't important) is there any reason to replace the clutch when it's in great shape and I'm not pushing any more power? Otherwise, I'll just do the flywheel and the fluid (also the throwout bearing, etc.) and also do the Central 20 gear set for about the same price as doing a clutch, which to me doesn't seem too important.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if you daily drive, i recommend going only with a slightly lighter than stock flywheel (nismo or jwt)

the light weight racing flywheels make engagement and smooth operation slightly difficult unless you're quick with the footwork... trust me. i lived with a 12lb flywheel for a long time and it was teh lose for traffic.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:47 AM
DJShan209

For a daily driver I would really recommend JWT or Nismo as well. Good luck on the install!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:52 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a ACT clutch/fywheel combo and it was perfectly fine for daily driving. Others might think differently though since my calves are the size of watermelons now. lol

The clutch was a bit grabby and stiffer but thats what made it so much more fun. If you are replacing your clutch because it is gone you might as well get a flywheel. The lightweight flywheels definitely help with throttle response and make it easier to rev match and powershift.