Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RB26 Swap...final decision

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to try changing your mind but the Z community is an amazing community and you should try getting some of us involved. With the amount of brilliant people available to your disposal through this forum I wouldn't be suprised if you get some good imput. Possibly solve the issue that is hindering you from going further.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:00 AM
002-M-P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
Not to try changing your mind but the Z community is an amazing community and you should try getting some of us involved. With the amount of brilliant people available to your disposal through this forum I wouldn't be suprised if you get some good imput. Possibly solve the issue that is hindering you from going further.
Well I am always willing to listen. Just seems I haven't really got anywhere in a while. I would be inclined to finish the project if I had more assurance that emulating all of the ECM signals would still let the car show a "ready" status for inspections...but I just don't know and that is a big gamble.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:07 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

easy fix pull the light bulb out for the cel light!

done
Old 07-14-2007, 08:14 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by MI 35th
easy fix pull the light bulb out for the cel light!

done
That's not the problem. The problem is when its scanned for ODB codes by the state for inspection it can't have any and has to show ready meaning its been run.

MP here's what you can do assuming you another form of transportation. Talk to KPeirson and see if he can rig up a board to make the ECU think its forever at idle. Try running it off the aux power on your current transportation with the ECU just sitting there in your car. That will tell you if any motor codes are getting thrown. Everything else would be resolved when it was back in the Z.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:24 AM
chriskabobbers

if all went well ... that woulda been one monster on the road ...
Old 07-14-2007, 10:27 AM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
MP here's what you can do assuming you another form of transportation. Talk to KPeirson and see if he can rig up a board to make the ECU think its forever at idle. Try running it off the aux power on your current transportation with the ECU just sitting there in your car. That will tell you if any motor codes are getting thrown. Everything else would be resolved when it was back in the Z.
****ty thing is, I don't have another form of transportation. While the car is down for the swap I was going to rent a car for a couple of weeks.

But I am trying to figure out what it is exactly that you're saying. Why couldn't I just reset the Z ecu and rig up the board on the Z as it is now...but unplug all the O2 sensors and see if it ever shows the ready codes?
Old 07-14-2007, 01:07 PM
350Z84

I would think if your O2 sensors are out it would throw a code for this. I think what MiaPlaya is trying to say, is find out what each sensor the ECU reads and find out what it's reference range is. Then plug your ECU into a board that Kpeirson would fabricate to send out the certain voltage or ohm reading that the ECU needs to read to be in reference range. This way the ECU would think everything is fine with all the sensors.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:08 PM
TENGAI

You can get around your issues. Don't give up on the swap. Worst case, find a shady inspection shop. But you never heard any of this from me
Old 07-15-2007, 06:35 AM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ECU's aren't rocket science. All they do is monitor voltage inputs from various engine sensors. I'd suggest trying Miaplaya's idea (trick the ecu into thinking it's forever idling) before you do anything drastic like sell your RB.

ps, has anyone even asked Kpierson about this yet, lol? I keep hearing "he can do it" but wonder if he's even seen this thread
Old 07-15-2007, 08:56 AM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by failsafe306
ps, has anyone even asked Kpierson about this yet, lol? I keep hearing "he can do it" but wonder if he's even seen this thread
I was actually wondering the same thing...his name just kinda got thrown out there as being able to do it, so I don't know.

But like I said...I know that the ecu can be tricked to not throw any codes...but with this trick will it ever show a ready status for inspection? This is most important.

Oh yeah...and I will never sell the RB, the car would be sold and the RB would go in something else. The motor is more important to me at this point.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:20 AM
twenzel

Like getting an R32 inspected is going to be EASIER?? lol.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 AM
saberphx

Just register and insure it as a "kit car"
(is that possible?)
Old 07-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Sup M.P. Sucks you didnt get to finish your project. I appreciate all your help with my VLSD pumpkin swap. Good luck buddy/
Old 07-15-2007, 12:34 PM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by tonywenzel
Like getting an R32 inspected is going to be EASIER?? lol.
If it is legally titled, registered, and insured it will be quite easy.

I don't know if you can register a car as a kit car if it was already at one time a production car in the US.

Evan, thanks man. We'll see where things go I guess. I don't want to get rid of the Z, but if nothing else works out that's what I am going to have to do. Home the pumpkin swap goes good once you get it in. Call me if you need anything else.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:43 PM
cc1012

if you ran a stand alone system like a hydra or AEM you might not have codes.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Gumpdriver

There is R32 for sale here in Warner Robins, Ga. PM me for details.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 AM
TENGAI

Originally Posted by cc1012
if you ran a stand alone system like a hydra or AEM you might not have codes.
That only controls the engine... He's in a hybrid situation where you need to run the factory ecu and a full stand-alone for the engine. The two have to work in parallel to maintain the factory controls (a/c, dash, etc.) and the proper tune for the engine.

The balancing act can be done, but it's a question of whether or not the ecu can be tricked into not throwing a code. Even if it can be, the question is whether or not an OBDII scanner will pick up on an improper ready state.

If it were me, I'd go ballz deep and do it regardless. You can always find a "friendly" inspection shop to take care of you.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:29 AM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could just register the car in a state that has no emissions testing like OK
Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Gman2004
if you get cel lights after the install just send your ECU to Sam at GTM with the codes it was throwing and he could flash the codes away. That's what he does for the FCONs he tunes. No cars come out of GTM with cel lights now.

Did anyone see this or what? Sam has already figured out how to flash the ecu to remove cel lights. Instead of running voltage, relays, etc. this would definately be the best route considering that it won't effect any other function of the ECU. It may not be a DIY or the least expensive route, but it will work and you won't have to jigga rig your car with gadets to trick the ecu.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:44 AM
TENGAI

+1. Very good point. Give GTM a call and see what take they have on this...

Quick Reply: RB26 Swap...final decision