Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Finding the love...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:05 PM
zzerotwosixty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
I LOVE the planning/researching/building process of a car. That being said I have TONS of things to do to the car still and have a $Hit eating grin from ear to ear everytime I drive it, and I drive at low boost 99% of the time.

I think you should track your car, your lying to yourself if you think you will track a 1000+whp Viper but not a 600 hp Z. Get out on the track, and put yourself to the test. When you appreciate it what it feel like to improve your time by .1 of a second you will have a new found respect for your car, and know what it really feels like to control the power from a dig not just fro ma 3rd gear roll on the street. I try to track my car at least 1X a year now (my chances of breaking are much higher than before the build), the rush I get is not comparable to anything I have done. Good luck in whatever you decide to do...

+1 Stop standing next to your car and drive it. Really drive it.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:23 AM
k3silk

That happen to me, but all I do is go to the dealer and drive a stock Z. Then when you go back into my car MAN it feels so much faster It put a big smile on my face. Once you have so much money in it you look back and say” I could have had this I could have had that but” it really doesn’t matter because the money is spent and you most likely wont make it back. Think about it long and hard. I love z06 vettes but the fact is if I get one I most likely won’t do anything to it then I’m sure I will be board because all of us that have gone with boost have a hard time not going back. My next car will be a project supra. I have chosen this car over others because it is fun to research and fun to build up. Hope this helps a little and if you want to sell your motor let me know. I will sell my motor and jwt tt kit to pick up your set up.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Autocross, amateur drift events, test & tune drag racing, and spirited driving on back roads. That's the butter. These cars are meant to be driven, not ogled at.

That's how my car became so much more interesting. "I wonder how these tires will improve my autocross times." "I wonder how adjusting the height on my coilovers will affect handling." "What can I do to improve my launch?" I think it's the greatest feeling in the world when I beat my best drag racing time, knowing that I have driven faster on the autocross than I ever have before, or drifting with more angle and at higher speeds than I was ever crazy enough to try.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Equinox

I would also suggest attending a local autox. Speeds are not that high so you don't have to worry about damage to the car. Still quick enough and challenging enough to make you smile though. Good luck either way.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:58 AM
brianyun

can you show us pics of your car? maybe its just ugly....
Old 07-25-2007, 11:09 AM
symalik

Originally Posted by stormcrow
btw, if you'd love to have my setup...you can as it's going up for sale...
lol whats the price on this sweet ride of yours
Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 AM
BrianLG35C

There's a flip side to this coin...imagine if you haven't been able to drive your FI'd G/Z for almost 16 months because of many issues including available funds to build it the right way, then delays with the builder, next waiting several months for the turbos to be inspected by APS and then eventually getting them shipped back from Australia to the tuner and so on. This experience will hopefully go a long way to help me never to take my G for granted. I guess it's all perspective.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:23 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by failsafe306
The first step in learning to be happy is to give the car away to a forum member, and start over with a new Z. I'd be willing to accept the responsibiliy of owning your car.
damn, bro... that's so big of you... i see saint-hood in your future if you keep giving of yourself so much!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by brianyun
can you show us pics of your car? maybe its just ugly....[
sir, you are spot on! i think that's the issue...i just can't stand to look at it due to its horrendous attributes!

Last edited by stormcrow; 07-25-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by symalik
lol whats the price on this sweet ride of yours
as she sit...bottom dollar would be $32,500.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:06 AM
chris'smax

I usually don't get involved in these threads, but i think you(stormcrow) and i are very similar in that we are always chasing the pursuit of satisfaction, which never seems to be realized . Therefore i will share my experience w/ you

Although our situations are different, I was in love with my last car. Granted it was a maxima, but after about $25k+ in upgrades it was very special to me. After failing to complete a very large motor swap project i had attempted i got discouraged. I began to think that even if i had completed it i still would not have been happy long term so i decided to get rid of it. A few months later another guy finished the same project i attmepted and put down 420whp(pissed me off ). Now i wish i had finished it so i could at least enjoy it. I then parted out the car and sold it to get a brand new 2006 Z (thinking i would be satisfied)

When i got the Z i said "i am happy as the car sits right now" (that lasted for about a month ). Seeking to be finally satisfied w/ the car again i then did rims and suspension. Then it was bolt-ons for a little extra pep, now i am getting ready to install a twin turbo kit because the power is not satisfactory. Each time i did something i would say that i was happy with it, then a week later i found myslef planning another stage of mods. I guess what i am getting at is just modding the car and just driving it around town and showing it off to people is never going to make you happy. You will get bored of it and you will always think about "what if i do this, this would be cool, ooh i need this to make it run safer, blah blah blah". Use the machine you have created and enjoy it! Creating it is only part of the ride man (you're done with the hard part).

I realized this after me and my girlfriend got in argument about modding the car. I told her about installing the turbo kit and she looked at me and said "why do you spend all this money on the car if you don't use it, you mod the car and drive like a grandma(maybe i kinda do). I wouldn't care if you actually raced the car at the track, but you rarely do. Whats the point if your not going to use it!" I started thinking and thought to myself,"you know she is right". All of my cars i have modded them to hell and back and after all the money and hard work i would get scared to track them due to the fear of messing something up. But after thinking about how i never got to track the last car and how much fun this car is to drive, the risk of breaking something is worth reaping the gratifaction from all of your efforts!!

Sorry if this was so drawn out, but i just don't want you to make a huge mistake (car wise and financially).

Chris
Old 07-26-2007, 06:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Modding cars and driving like grandma FTL! I think the OP is guilty of this, at least he was at Z day Z
Old 07-26-2007, 06:13 AM
chris'smax

Modding cars and driving like grandma FTL! I think the OP is guilty of this, at least he was at Z day Z

well i kind of had to before since i was still in college and couldn't always afford to fix them if something happened, but not anymore .

I will say i really didn't get mad when i would snap a axel when nailing the throttle, but i would get pissed as hell when i would get a leaking oil line, or a loose SC belt from just driving around town.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Jason333
hi

Well you could awlays head to the mountains for a weekend and see how you feel after? You live within a few hours form the best roads in the country. How often do you find yourself on them? I wouldn't make a rash decision and sell it w/o atleast using the car a bit. I understand the track can be a blast, but that's only what...2-3 times a season? (idk im not near a decent track). You can go beat up on backroads in the mountains all day anyday and see no cars. A lot of people in that area just focus on deals gap, remember there are roads all through the mountains just as good, just not as popular (which can be a good thing).
Old 07-26-2007, 07:19 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by chris'smax
I usually don't get involved in these threads, but i think you(stormcrow) and i are very similar in that we are always chasing the pursuit of satisfaction, which never seems to be realized . Therefore i will share my experience w/ you

Although our situations are different, I was in love with my last car. Granted it was a maxima, but after about $25k+ in upgrades it was very special to me. After failing to complete a very large motor swap project i had attempted i got discouraged. I began to think that even if i had completed it i still would not have been happy long term so i decided to get rid of it. A few months later another guy finished the same project i attmepted and put down 420whp(pissed me off ). Now i wish i had finished it so i could at least enjoy it. I then parted out the car and sold it to get a brand new 2006 Z (thinking i would be satisfied)

When i got the Z i said "i am happy as the car sits right now" (that lasted for about a month ). Seeking to be finally satisfied w/ the car again i then did rims and suspension. Then it was bolt-ons for a little extra pep, now i am getting ready to install a twin turbo kit because the power is not satisfactory. Each time i did something i would say that i was happy with it, then a week later i found myslef planning another stage of mods. I guess what i am getting at is just modding the car and just driving it around town and showing it off to people is never going to make you happy. You will get bored of it and you will always think about "what if i do this, this would be cool, ooh i need this to make it run safer, blah blah blah". Use the machine you have created and enjoy it! Creating it is only part of the ride man (you're done with the hard part).

I realized this after me and my girlfriend got in argument about modding the car. I told her about installing the turbo kit and she looked at me and said "why do you spend all this money on the car if you don't use it, you mod the car and drive like a grandma(maybe i kinda do). I wouldn't care if you actually raced the car at the track, but you rarely do. Whats the point if your not going to use it!" I started thinking and thought to myself,"you know she is right". All of my cars i have modded them to hell and back and after all the money and hard work i would get scared to track them due to the fear of messing something up. But after thinking about how i never got to track the last car and how much fun this car is to drive, the risk of breaking something is worth reaping the gratifaction from all of your efforts!!

Sorry if this was so drawn out, but i just don't want you to make a huge mistake (car wise and financially).

Chris
chris, thanks for sharing your experience with me...and us... a lot of people seem to be on the "track it...drag it..." bandwagon and i can understand why... but, to those people i have to say that when you're doing a build you go one of two ways with it... towards the show car avenue or towards the track avenue... both have their pros and cons, but they are admittedly very different cars once done... mine is sort of a hybrid bending towards the show car aspect more so than the track setup... i either have to a) be satisfied with the car as is or b) be ready to destroy some of the pristine aspects of the car out on the track... i am not completely comfortable with B yet...
Old 07-26-2007, 07:22 AM
stormcrow

so YOU say... the Tail knows better...

i wasn't invited to the FP shootout to prove that i was actually "driving" the car... methinks someone was scared?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:25 AM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by Jason333
Well you could awlays head to the mountains for a weekend and see how you feel after? You live within a few hours form the best roads in the country. How often do you find yourself on them? I wouldn't make a rash decision and sell it w/o atleast using the car a bit. I understand the track can be a blast, but that's only what...2-3 times a season? (idk im not near a decent track). You can go beat up on backroads in the mountains all day anyday and see no cars. A lot of people in that area just focus on deals gap, remember there are roads all through the mountains just as good, just not as popular (which can be a good thing).
mountain runs are fun..and i've been on quite a few..especially with my now sold G35... the North GA mountain roads are much better than Deals Gap, imo... the Tail is too much of a workout and not as fun as roads with big sweepers... but, i've become a bit bored with mountain runs, too... i guess that's why i'm not thinking of AutoX as a viable option, either... that's just a mountain run without the scenery... the AKA Rally has piqued my interest... we shall see...
Old 07-26-2007, 07:42 AM
chris'smax

chris, thanks for sharing your experience with me...and us... a lot of people seem to be on the "track it...drag it..." bandwagon and i can understand why... but, to those people i have to say that when you're doing a build you go one of two ways with it... towards the show car avenue or towards the track avenue... both have their pros and cons, but they are admittedly very different cars once done... mine is sort of a hybrid bending towards the show car aspect more so than the track setup... i either have to a) be satisfied with the car as is or b) be ready to destroy some of the pristine aspects of the car out on the track... i am not completely comfortable with B yet...

I totally understand man. My other car was also a nice all around car(ie lip kit ,paint job, lowered). If you can look past doing all of the body kit and custom paint, it really makes the car much more enjoyable to drive imo since you are not constantly worried about scratching or cracking something.

Like they say, you can't have your cake and eat it too
Old 07-26-2007, 08:46 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

as she sit...bottom dollar would be $32,500.
As she sits built and boosted? How many Miles? Ill buy your car and love it, hold it, snuggle with it... seriously though... pm me

Chris
Old 07-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You do realize you will have no front end paint from the damage that will occur on the rally cross country and all the high speed driving? If your down for that you should also track it. Your car is flawless, but thats what happens, the flawless cars dont get driven or enjoyed as much and the owners are less happy...I have a friend in VA with a SUPER clean 04' with only 13K miles, sucks to see it in the garage all the time.

Quick Reply: Finding the love...