Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Pulstar plugs?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Modified Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes we compared the gap on the OE plugs and the Pulstar's. They were the same. And given that the OE plugs only have 1200 miles on them, they're in like-new condition. Otherwise we would have tested a with a fresh set of OE's so that the comparison was fair.

And for the skeptics out there (and believe me, I'd be skeptical too!), we made no adjustments whatsoever to the car's setup. This was same day testing, same dyno, same everything. All we did was baseline with the stock setup and then install the Pulstar's and retest.

Just so we're clear, I'm not saying you'll get these kinds of results on your car. I'm just reporting what we saw on SG Motorsport's '06 350Z roadster a few days ago. We will be testing these plugs on a bunch of other applications so we can establish a broader perspective on their performance.

And yes, I'm new to these forums. I picked up a '06 G35 coupe back in June as a project car, so I've been spending some time researching here and on G35driver.com and other similar sites. My background is more in the Honda scene, but so far I'm totally loving my G35 and am quickly becoming a big Nissan fanboy like the other two editors at the mag (who are already huge Nissan junkies).
Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post some actual data and maybe your views would be taken a bit more serious then some vendor trying to sell crap
Old 01-26-2008, 11:20 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

while we are on the subject, when are you guys replacing your plugs?
Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

sounds like the splitfire scam of the early 90s
Old 01-26-2008, 04:08 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
sounds like the splitfire scam of the early 90s
+1
Old 01-26-2008, 04:29 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha you kids get me every time.

I'm sure you've all seen your fair share of scams and whatnot so this is totally understandable, but I love how you guys are calling out Dave from Modified magazine. If you met him in real life you'd be on your knees begging for his acceptance. First post lol, you guys make me laugh.

bahahaha

Anyways. I was more a skeptic than anyone. When pete called me and asked me to test spark plugs, I laughed at him and said pete i'm not going to hook the car up to the dyno just to test spark plugs its not even worth it. He explained that they are a crazy new design and had to be tested anyways so I was like ok cool.

Now as some of you know that have been paying attention to my other thread the roadster made peak power of 240whp previously from the intake/exhaust and after hooking the car up to the dyno that day it made 237whp. Thats fine, car was a bit warmer, different day etc etc. 1% varience is no big deal.

We put the plugs in and instantly the car made over 245whp. 3 more pulls later that number grew to 250whp.

My theory on how they work is not only a stronger spark, but it is occuring EARLIER. This I believe is effectively advancing ignition timing, however, by burning the fuel more completely and earlier you are increasing cyliner pressure earlier, which I would believe would lead to more torque, as the crankshaft would make the most torque of the available cylinder pressure when it was perpendicular to the combustion chamber (half way between TDC and BDC). You can imagine how any cylinder pressure after this point is realizing diminishing gains, and if you can get more cylinder pressure before or at this point, you will see more torque for the same amount of fuel - read - RAISING EFFICIENCY.

Now this is just my guess of course, but after we test the plugs on a few more cars I will be sure to update you guys - afterall everyone knows if you can convince the 350z boys you can convince just about anyone in the world.

Less talking more doing boys!

There should be a rule you can only post 1 sinical comment for every 1 helpful comment you post. Post counts would sure go down fast, and this place would suddenly become a whole lot more friendly (and perhaps more educated)
Old 01-26-2008, 04:34 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

here is a dyno

NOW PLEASE NOTE

the baseline is LOW

so before anyone starts crying about how spark plugs made 18whp, this is the lowest baseline when the car was cold and the oil was heavy.

I swear to god if someone makes a comment about this i will SNAP. The actual gains we saw were in the area of 11whp or about 5-7ish ft lbs of tq across the board (2% more efficient burn)

Old 01-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SGSash
Haha you kids get me every time.
I'm 29, I'm not a kid, I just eat them.

but I love how you guys are calling out Dave from Modified magazine.
and?

If you met him in real life you'd be on your knees begging for his acceptance.
No, I don't know him and really don't care if he accepts me. Then again I'm not trying to hang off his E-***** as you seem to be doing.

First post lol, you guys make me laugh.

bahahaha
His first post is talking about how good this product is. Seems suspicious to me and probably a few other folks.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:54 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

here is a proper dyno showing the overlay of the peak power from the exhaust/intake runs to the spark plug gains, this makes the gains look more reasonable.

There is another 237whp pull from the same time right before we installed the different plugs, but it is on the dynapack computer and I don't have access to it right now.

Dave just joined this site from G35driver.com to inform some dudes on our findings. Modified just tests different parts that are supplied by various companies trying to let the industry know what cool things they've come up with. This is one product that blew our minds so we're trying to find out more about them.

While its cool to be a skeptic, and 9/10 it's the right thing to do to avoid getting suckered - when you're wrong you're wrong. It actually is an editor from an actual magazine. Not some troll trying to sell you some spark plugs. Can you accept that?

Sometimes I wonder why we try and help this community, but then you meet some cool dudes and see what other guys are up to and learn from them and it's all worth it.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Ziggyrama

This is interesting. I am trying to wrap my mind around this and here's what I see. Even if this spark plug is more efficient and actually ignites fuel earlier, how much more advancement can you actually get? 1 degree? Seriously, how much power can you get from that? 5whp? That's even hard to prove given the margin of error on any dyno used today.
Try this on for size as well. So we advanced the timing slightly. Since octane is basically your limiting factor on pump gas, advancing timing will only build the pressure sooner in the cycle which will only lead to detonation earlier. How does that make more power? Basically, once you reach certain pressure, you'll end up igniting the mixture on the 2nd flame front which will rob you of power if anything. You can only build so much pressure in the cylinder before it starts igniting uncontrollably. Your fuel octane determines that. More complete burn is doubtful. That part has to do with atomization of the fuel and oxygen content in the cylinder. All the spark plug has to do is ignite the mix. After that, the combustion does the rest. So even if your spark is stronger, you will probably be at a point of major diminishing returns. And I am not even going to get into thermal properties of the spark plugs and the 2nd part that most people forget about that they play in the engine (evacuating heat from the chamber). The site mentions nothing about it. I am all for innovative ideas but this one doesn't stick with me fundamentally. BTW, this is nothing that any EM cannot do anyways and advancing timing blindly is really not a good idea anyways.

BTW, telling us we should cower and kiss someone's *** because of their status in auto industry is not a good way to get respect. Respect is earned, not given. If this individual is so good at what he does, it will be obvious to us fairly quickly and we'll take it from there. Telling me so doesn't really convince me. I have my own brain

Lastly, dyno sheets don't prove things. People that make electric superchargers have a few of those proving they make power despite of laws of physics. I need to see more science behind it before I can make any determination. For now, I'd say the gains would be negligible, if any. I'll stick with coppers which are the best performance plug right now.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 01-26-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

While its cool to be a skeptic, and 9/10 it's the right thing to do to avoid getting suckered - when you're wrong you're wrong. It actually is an editor from an actual magazine. Not some troll trying to sell you some spark plugs. Can you accept that?

Sometimes I wonder why we try and help this community, but then you meet some cool dudes and see what other guys are up to and learn from them and it's all worth it.
That's all fine and well, just don't expect everyone to suck him off after his first post on here when no one knows anything about him. Maybe have an introduction post so this won't happen again? Good luck with your tests though, I'm curious to see additional data on these.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Now to stay on topic, this is basically a Spark Plug with a capacitor in it that stores and releases the charge?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
Now to stay on topic, this is basically a Spark Plug with a capacitor in it that stores and releases the charge?
like nology wires? another scam like splitfire.....
Old 01-26-2008, 05:12 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

That is the way I looked at it, like a capacitor that is discharging the energy at a much higher intensity than a normal spark.

I agree about the timing, 1 or 2 degrees can't make much power, so that leads me to believe - even if it is actually advancing timing (which would be a little bit of a scam to do), it doesn't explain the large power increase. My only conclusion is that it is infact burning the fuel more completely and/or efficiently.

I understand all the guys hesitant to believe dyno numbers, but i was pounding on my roadster run after run after run, both before with the exhaust/intake and for the baseline for the spark test. I could not, no matter what I tried, get above 240whp. Cold engine, hot engine, cold engine cold intake, hot engine cold intake, nothing would do it. Put the sparks in and the thing made 10whp more. Take it for what you will, but this roadster is looking well on its way to 300whp im excited.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:21 PM
n1sm0r

Thanks Sasha, I think I may give these plugs a shot
Old 01-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
like nology wires? another scam like splitfire.....
Someone needs to buy one and see what the guts are... I'm guessing a capacitor and an adjustable 555 timer chip or something similar... or just a capacitor that discharges when "full".

It’s reminiscent of the grounding box that "cleaned up" your power supply. A Member bought one, took it apart and posted pics. It was essentially a carefully sealed box with a few wire loops in it and a resistor… for $50.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:39 PM
go-fast
Banned

could i just buy 3 and settle for 9hp?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:33 PM
merlin3

this stuff is such a joke, ziggyrama hit the nail right on the head. I can just advance the timing and risk detonation and get more power but do I really want to?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Someone buy one, take it apart and draw up a diagram for the forum to see.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
Someone buy one, take it apart and draw up a diagram for the forum to see.
you buy it and I will take it apart. just send it and 6 extras to my house....

Quick Reply: Pulstar plugs?!