Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

A few N20 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 05:12 PM
EmpiricalGMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A few N20 questions

A few questions, the last couple of which are pretty inane:

1. I've read that switching to colder spark plugs is recommended for using nitrous. I've also read that switching to much colder spark plugs (such as 3 degrees) can really throw off the engine and make it struggle at idle and low rpms. My question: is there a small performance loss with slightly (1 or 2 degree) colder plugs when not using nitrous, or is this one of those things where it makes no difference until you hit a certain threshold?

2. Are you creating a risk of detonation between shifts by by power shifting or keeping an automatic transmission floored? I mean, doesn't much less fuel go to the engine for that half second when the rpms drop, yet the kit will still be sensing wide open throttle and pumping nitrous?

3. I'm most interested in the Zex kit, but I definitely do not want to stick a huge, 10 lb purple bottle in my ride, and for some reason Zex does not offer smaller bottles. Would I be able to install smaller bottles from NOS or NX (which I think I'd be able to hide away) on the Zex system? I don't think the makers would give me a straight answer on this, because Zex will not want a NX billboard attached to their patented kit and NX will want me to buy their kit instead. I also have a hunch that the Zex system is simpler in part because it's calibrated specifically to a 10 lb bottle, and that's why they don't offer any other size. Anyway, I don't see myself needing more than 3 runs worth of nitrous at any given time. I'd really like to use a couple of those polished NOS bottles meant for motorcycles. Could I get 2 runs from 2 of those? More bottles = more switches, and more switches = more apparent horsepower, at least to naive passengers. In fact, I want to put in at least 4 switches regardless of whether they're really hooked up to anything.

4. Somewhat related question: my local track has a NOS-brand filling station. It'd be convenient if I could fill my bottles there. I'm assuming nitrous is nitrous, but is there any issue with valves on non-NOS bottles matching up?

5. Is it still fun and worth the trouble to install these things after you're done playing around at the track? I rarely do that more than twice a month, which is why I'd want an inexpensive (but safe) and discreet installation.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:42 AM
TheBigShow

1. if u like your car, colder plugs r a must. nothing like an electrode breakin off and f'n up your whole valve-train. u will not notice a difference.

2. do not power shift, and push button activation is recommended for autos. don't spray while it's shiftin.

3. any bottle should work; don't get ricey with your setup, please.

4. nitrous is nitrous; i do recommend a nitrous filter to protect your solenoids.

5. once word gets around that u're sprayin, everyone will wanna see your "nawz!" bottle. it does get annoyin. i do believe is it is the best way to track your daily driver though. nothing can b turned on and off like nitrous. creepin around town and purgin at people is fun, too .
Old 05-26-2003, 05:56 PM
EmpiricalGMan

When you say push button activation, you don't mean I'd need to tap it, shift, then hit it again to re-engage, right? At about 8 presses per run, every run, something's bound to go wrong eventually. I think I'd want to invest in a regulator to watch that for me instead, but I've heard those things aren't reliable.

Hmm, after doing a bit more research, NX says on its site that AT is better for nitrous than MT without mentioning any problem with leaving it floored in a WOT setup, so now I don't know what's up. Guess I should just ask the reps on this one.

And after looking at the bottles again, NX has at least 3 different types of valve options listed, which makes me think compatibility would be a problem. Maybe I could just take out the spare and mount the ugly 10lb bottle in the empty compartment. The spare needs to come out anyway if I'm going for best time. Seems like people don't do that though (mount in the spare's compartment).

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:39 PM
TheBigShow

well, if i had an auto, that's how i would do it. launch, push the button, car shifts, button, car shifts, button, etc. when i say button, remember that means u r holdin it down. 8 times a run? i'm not sure what u r referrin to. as for nx, ask them for an explanation. i was always told that between shifts the amount of fuel present is lower, and introducin nitrous is not a good idea. nx, imo, is the best nitrous company out there though.