Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Love affair with Borla

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 07:45 AM
OC_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love affair with Borla

Why is it that everyone is so hot on this exhaust system? From what I have read on this board, it doesn't seem like it is really gaining as much horsepower as claimed. I thought after people released some of there lower than hope for dyons, people would pile on the Borla. Instead everyone just made excuses why the exhaust wasn't performing good. Is there something I'm missing or does everyone on this board work for Borla? I'm not trying to slam Borla, I just want to know if it works before I buy it.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:58 AM
ganz

I think it is because no one really believed it could give 20 hp to begin with. I think everyone who bought it secretly said to themselves that if it even made 10 hp they would be happy - which is what it does (more or less ). Also, Borla's product is a more subtle modification. The tips are not overly large and maintain the stock appearance. The sound is a welcome enhancement as well. The build quality is terrific. And finally, 650 for a dual system is pretty hard to argue with.

So, I guess what is comes down to is that the exhaust makes some power. Dynos have been all over the place, but not 20hp. You get what you pay for and for the price, even a small gain along with the desirable features of the exhaust is a worthwhile purchase.

That being said, Borla should own up and just tell people it make around 10 hp instead of advertising some inflated number.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:18 AM
OC_350Z

yeah you are right. I liked the price and looks but was always very skeptical about the 20 hp gains, given our tricky ECU. I also agree that Borla should adjust their HP claims. I would rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

I think I will wait and see what else is out there. My girlfriend is leaving for Japan today, she is going to bring me back some catalogs. It's unbelievable how many different parts are available for the 350Z in Japan. Especially CAI and exhaust systems. I'll post some pictures if you guys are interested.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:20 AM
importriders

I never ever believed the claim of 20hp. The only way I can see an aftermarket exhaust making 20hp is if the stock exhaust REALLY REALLY SUCKED!!! But I knew the stock exhaust was pretty good in itself so I knew 20hp was not possible. The average for the three dynos out there right now seems to be about 10hp. Which is about where all the other exhaust out there are at. Overall for the price....it cannot be beat...bottom line.