Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cusco RS LSD and Technosquare...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:27 PM
DMK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the LSD toast? Put some oil in it and find out.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Vader007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should have told you they didnt install the fluid!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by cvt
so..was TS at fault?
IMHO, it was both of our fault. i should not have assumed that they put the oil in it (even though i gave it to them). at the same time, they should have told me that they didn't use it. they also went under the assumption that i would have checked. it was a huge miscommunication, but i will be the one paying for it in the end.

it would have been nice if they would have at least offered to take a look at it to see what had to be done. instead, there was long silent gaps in our conversation that ultimately ended in "everything is fried, you should have checked, there's nothing we could do."

i know there are a lot of defenders out there for technosquare, so i'm not going to stir up the pot on anything and get crucified.

thankfully, Adam from Z1 (who sold me the diff) is the one who offered to work with me on this endeavor, and mind you, he just sold me the diff! but thankfully he's taking the time to help me troubleshoot my problem and actually get it fixed. kudos to Z1 (again)!

all-in-all, never assume, no matter who does your work.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by DMK
Is the LSD toast? Put some oil in it and find out.
i wish it were that easy! i won't know until i take the diff apart. i can't take the diff apart until i remove it from the carrier....that's the step i'm stuck on now. it's really stuck!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:52 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

waht i'm hoping for, the best case scenario, is that the bearings failed long before the LSD did. it goes without saying that the bearings have failed, but as long as the LSD is good, then it won't be so bad. even if the clutch plates are fused together, it woulnd't that be that bad of a rebuild.

i took the rear diff cover off and inspected the ring gear (the side i could see). there is even scoring on all the teeth, no chips/nicks/burrs or grooves so that's definitely a good sign. i will have the ring gear/pinion shaft inspected for any stress cracks. if none, i will reuse them.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

have you tried to contact Cusco or a transmission shop to see if they can at least take a look at the unit to dianosis the level of damage?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:32 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Unhappy well....

Originally Posted by Chebosto

have you tried to contact Cusco or a transmission shop to see if they can at least take a look at the unit to dianosis the level of damage?
well, after my dead end with technosquare, i took the whole differential apart (with some help from adam at Z1, whom i might add was with me for this whole process...and mind you, all he did was sell me the diff...kudos to Z1). of course the bearings were fried. the good news is that the LSD is okay. after taking the whole thing apart, the clutch plates were not fused, and there was no damage to any of the machined pieces inside.

the ring gear was also in good condition with even wear throughout each teeth. it showed good contact with the pinion. however, as you may guess, without oil, the smaller pinion built up (and cycled) heat faster than the larger ring gear (which has adequate surface area to dissipate the heat). so there was discoloration on the pinion which is evidence of heat distortion. it may not fail now, but it has a slight chance of failing in the future. that's a chance i'm not willing to take, so i will end up replacing the ring and gear.

the reason why both have to be replaced is because they are machined together. though ratios are the same between gears, differences in the machining processes would basically not allow you to purchase separately (so i've been told).

so all-in-all, it will be about a $1k mistake (including the labor to put everything back together). poo on me...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:07 PM
cvt

what the hell??!! i worked with technosqaure before and they did good work...but what was a little shady...you are right, they should have at LEAST offered to take a look at it....not treat you like..."oh well, you're SOL"...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:34 PM
n1sm0r

Glad your LSD is still okay. I had a similar experience, when I bought my LSD for my 240sx a couple years ago. The damn car locked up on the freeway and I luckily came to a sliding stop on the shoulder instead of the middle of the freeway
Just replaced the final drive bearing as well as the carrier bearings and everything was gravy!

Good luck
Old 11-08-2007, 09:35 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by cvt
what the hell??!! i worked with technosqaure before and they did good work...but what was a little shady...you are right, they should have at LEAST offered to take a look at it....not treat you like..."oh well, you're SOL"...
just as an FYI to all....i'm not trying to flame technosquare or give them a bad name. i guess what this thread is going to be is a reminder that even though a place does great work, does not always mean that the customer service is there either. also, it is a lesson to all that, as i've said, even if a place does good work, never assume. it was my fault, and i acknowledge that, that i assumed that the oil that i gave them would end up in the diff. i was wrong.

but with the reputation that they have, i was expecting a little something more than "well, just because you assumed doesn't mean it's right" (which came from howard). i couldn't argue with that. i thought maybe i would get at least an offer of "hey, we'll take a look at it and see what you need from there." something...anything....should i have talked to tadashi? probably. i sent an e-mail to both their addresses and have not heard from them on either one. i called and talked to yoshi and howard (not tadashi) and i got a lot of silence and a lot of "well......"

i'm not going to **** off the waiter, nor the cook. i will have the work done elsewhere.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:39 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by n1sm0r
Glad your LSD is still okay. I had a similar experience, when I bought my LSD for my 240sx a couple years ago. The damn car locked up on the freeway and I luckily came to a sliding stop on the shoulder instead of the middle of the freeway
Just replaced the final drive bearing as well as the carrier bearings and everything was gravy!

Good luck
what's ironic is that i felt that i was fortunate to have the incident happened where it did. i almost did go onto the freeway. if i made a left vice a right, i might have killed someone! if there was anybody near me or around me, i definitely would have hit them! that's what scared me the most...screw the $1k that it's going to cost me to fix the problem....it could have been a lot worse if someone else was affected. who would take that responsibility? who would live with that? i would...unfortunately...i would...

wow, that was dramatic