Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

I SAW, I HEARD, I SMELT the BORLA DUAL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 06:59 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up I SAW, I HEARD, I SMELT the BORLA DUAL!!!

In two words, the NEW Borla DUAL is F**KING AWESOME! The exhaust note is the BEST I've heard to date and sounds like a 996 C4S. Now that's a bold statement and one that's quite unbelievable, but hear it for yourself when you get the chance and you won't believe your ears. The Borla NEVER gets raspy or rings like other exhausts I've heard. To date I've heard/driven/rode passenger to a B&B, Stillen dual, stock minus resonator and a custom dual to a Magnaflow muffler. The Borla is the polar opposite of the Stillen dual. It doesn't buzz, pop or break up through the entire RPM range. Ever. On top of that, the thing looks fanatastic with professionaly finished tips that far exceed the workmanship, or lack thereof, of the Stillen offering.

As far as power, I felt that it loses just the tiniest bit of grunt right in the middle of the rev range, 3K-4K. Over 5K there is more pull and a determined tenacity to hit redline. Unfortunately, Marcus never got a baseline dyno for his Z, but we should still be able to examine the plots to look for any particularly unusual losses or gains throughout the torque band. I've done enough pulls at the shop he'll be going to to know what to expect.

At the price point, there's NO WAY I would ever consider the Stillen dual over the Borla dual. The sound alone is worth the price of admission. That's a lot coming from me as someone who doesn't want to make any performance mods without quantifiable results beforehand.

Pics of the product and Marcus' install.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:11 PM
Brad4rdHay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Droning?
Old 05-28-2003, 07:17 PM
failsafe
....for your health

...but you didn't get any sound clips?
Old 05-28-2003, 07:37 PM
droideka

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Droning?
Oh ****, I'm sorry man. Was I droning on and on?

Seriously though, I can't really speak to that with much authority. I had Marcus running up through the gears and getting into the throttle from 3K onward looking for butt dyno gains. If it does drone, I'd say it's just a little and it's nothing obtrusive. It's particularly quiet in the 1.5K-2K range from the outside of the car. That observation is from listening as the car comes toward you at moderate throttle, passes and comes to a stop.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:39 PM
droideka

Originally posted by failsaf3
...but you didn't get any sound clips?
They're still in my head. Here's one...

BRAAAAOOOMM!
BRAAAAOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!
BRAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 07:50 PM
Scorch268

Holy cow, thats awesome! Should I try and retrofit the Borla for my G35coupe or do a custom exhaust like eric? Post clips man and thanks for the post! What was the cost again?? thanks!
Old 05-28-2003, 10:12 PM
rodH

Default Re: I SAW, I HEARD, I SMELT the BORLA DUAL!!!

Originally posted by droideka
In two words, the NEW Borla DUAL is F**KING AWESOME! The exhaust note is the BEST I've heard to date and sounds like a 996 C4S. Now that's a bold statement and one that's quite unbelievable, but hear it for yourself when you get the chance and you won't believe your ears. The Borla NEVER gets raspy or rings like other exhausts I've heard. To date I've heard/driven/rode passenger to a B&B, Stillen dual, stock minus resonator and a custom dual to a Magnaflow muffler. The Borla is the polar opposite of the Stillen dual. It doesn't buzz, pop or break up through the entire RPM range. Ever. On top of that, the thing looks fanatastic with professionaly finished tips that far exceed the workmanship, or lack thereof, of the Stillen offering.

As far as power, I felt that it loses just the tiniest bit of grunt right in the middle of the rev range, 3K-4K. Over 5K there is more pull and a determined tenacity to hit redline. Unfortunately, Marcus never got a baseline dyno for his Z, but we should still be able to examine the plots to look for any particularly unusual losses or gains throughout the torque band. I've done enough pulls at the shop he'll be going to to know what to expect.

At the price point, there's NO WAY I would ever consider the Stillen dual over the Borla dual. The sound alone is worth the price of admission. That's a lot coming from me as someone who doesn't want to make any performance mods without quantifiable results beforehand.

Pics of the product and Marcus' install.
awesome, this is hte one I am leaning towards, still waiting for more dynos and comparos and the nismo unit.

btw, a 996 C4S sounds NO different than any other 996 (just for hte record) just adds 4wd and wide body, no difference in engines, BUT yes a 911 sound in a Z would be GREAT (I really feel like the Z sounds great for a stock car, this can ONLY make it better)
Old 05-29-2003, 04:58 AM
droideka

Default Re: Re: I SAW, I HEARD, I SMELT the BORLA DUAL!!!

Originally posted by rodH
awesome, this is hte one I am leaning towards, still waiting for more dynos and comparos and the nismo unit.

btw, a 996 C4S sounds NO different than any other 996 (just for hte record) just adds 4wd and wide body, no difference in engines, BUT yes a 911 sound in a Z would be GREAT (I really feel like the Z sounds great for a stock car, this can ONLY make it better)
I beg to differ. I've heard a 996 C2 and 996 C4S side-by-side, back-to-back as both pull away. IMO, the C4S has a bit deeper burble as the revs are coming down. Perhaps that has to do with the load on four wheels vs. two?
Old 05-29-2003, 05:28 AM
J Ritt

Thumbs up

Droid,
Thanks for the info! We desperately need sound clips though..

As for Porsches, the difference could have been one car had a Porsche factory sports exhaust, and the other had the standard factory exhaust. Porsche offers factory sports exhaust, wheels, and suspension. They can make a big difference in how the car sounds and performs. If you ever read a review of a 911 with a factory sports exhaust, the reviewer always says, 'this is the way the car should sound standard.'
That may have been the difference you heard.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:58 AM
whosdady

Default Not sure what to think

Personally I don't like all the clips/clamps. I thought the Stillen was bad with 3. It looks like the Borla has 7-8 of them. Plus it looks like you might have a little rubbing with the sway bar. Other than that it looks pretty cool. I think the end tips look very nice. Much better than the Stillen.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:25 AM
TheBigShow

dyno, anyone? another q, is thing gonna get my exhaust outta there when a 100-shot of nitrous is introduced, or a couple pounds from a turbo or sc?
Old 05-29-2003, 06:37 AM
mcduck

Guys and gals,

I decided to go with this set up after seeing the pics of Marcus's install here yesterday.

When it will happen depends on when the parts can get to me, but I promise I will go get a dyno before and after the install and post results. So far, I have done no performance enhancements whatsoever, so I would be going from bone stock to bone stock with Borla on the dynos.

I'll post an update after I talk to the shop that will be doing the work. They are trying to track down the true dual set-up for me even now.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:50 AM
TheBigShow

make sure u title your post with caps . also, so what's up with the muffler; is it dual-chambered? the exhaust couldn't truthfully b considered full-dual if it wasn't.

Last edited by TheBigShow; 05-29-2003 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:29 AM
webcarconnection

If the wheels and tires are the same height of the stock ones, I believe that is not gonna be a problem, but if they are to wide (295+) maybe it will loss a few whp.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:37 AM
350zSpeedRacer

And why exactly did you not come and get me???? I don't care if it's only a two seater, I don't take up much room!

I can't wait to hear this exhaust myself. Glad you approve, Brad, because that's saying A LOT!
Old 05-29-2003, 12:02 PM
mcduck

okay... I've been given and ETA of two weeks before my shop will receive the Borla exhaust for my Z. They quoted me a price of $740... $100 better than straight from Borla.

They are also supposed to track my order and let me know when my parts are 2-3 days out so I can get my car dynoed just before they come in.

After that, the kit goes on, I'll make two dyno runs without CAI (which I will be buying at the same time) and a final run with both exhaust and CAI.

Probably looking at the AEM CAI... anyone have reasons why I should not use this (in general or with the Borla True Dual system)?
Old 05-29-2003, 12:31 PM
droideka

Originally posted by VQracer
You would fit nicely in the hatch.

Oooops did I zay that?

j/k! j/k!

Victor
So would you!

Old 05-29-2003, 12:34 PM
droideka

Originally posted by J Ritt
Droid,
Thanks for the info! We desperately need sound clips though..

As for Porsches, the difference could have been one car had a Porsche factory sports exhaust, and the other had the standard factory exhaust. Porsche offers factory sports exhaust, wheels, and suspension. They can make a big difference in how the car sounds and performs. If you ever read a review of a 911 with a factory sports exhaust, the reviewer always says, 'this is the way the car should sound standard.'
That may have been the difference you heard.
That could very well be, but the cars I heard were both in my parking garage. They belonged to two, older lawyers from my building who didn't have a CLUE about the cars when I asked some basic questions.

Neither one appeared to be capable of even ordering an after-market exhaust.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:28 AM
My996C2

Default Re: Re: Re: I SAW, I HEARD, I SMELT the BORLA DUAL!!!

Originally posted by droideka
I beg to differ. I've heard a 996 C2 and 996 C4S side-by-side, back-to-back as both pull away. IMO, the C4S has a bit deeper burble as the revs are coming down. Perhaps that has to do with the load on four wheels vs. two?
The 996 C2 could have been a Pre-'02 model. That is the year that Porsche went to the 3.6 liter engine, and opened up the exhaust quite a bit to answer criticism about the car being too quiet. '02 was the first year of the C4S. Before that you could get a C4, which had the same bodywork as the C2. All N/A Carreras have the exact same engine and exhaust. (With the exception of the GT3, of course.)

People always ask me if I have an aftermarket exhaust on mine. It's definitely got a healthy bark to it.

Personally, I think the 350z has a damn good exhaust note stock. It kind of sounds like expensive silk ripping.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:46 AM
raceboy
Banned

My Borla setup should be on the car early next week. If you want to come out to the Streets of Willow track day to check it out, be my guest.

Quick Reply: I SAW, I HEARD, I SMELT the BORLA DUAL!!!