Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ss clutch line

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:36 AM
uniqueIllusions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ss clutch line

does any have a write up on how to put in the stainless steel clutch line. I have an idea but i rather be sure......
Old 06-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Barzten1

Ive been searching too. No luck
Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its extremely easy. I dont have pictures to share with you, but I can give you a narrative...

-Lift car on jackstand/lift
-Get under car and locate clutch slave cylinder, it will be on the lower driver's side of the transmission
-Follow clutch line up to where it meets with clutch hardline
-Using an 8mm open end wrench, detatch clutch line from clutch hardline at top side of the mounting tab
-Using a 10mm (I think, might be 12mm) socket, remove clutch line banjo bolt from clutch slave cylinder
-Reverse procedure with new SS clutch line
-Bleed clutch at clutch slave cylinder, the bleeder screw is also 8mm
Old 06-26-2008, 09:48 AM
SpoilsofWar

This picture should help
Attached Thumbnails ss clutch line-clutch.jpg  
Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Barzten1

Sweet. I think i can tackle that. Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 PM
XxKwestxX

Its really simple, I think the hardest part was getting the damn clip back on. Also, it would make things a lot easier if you had someone to help with the bleeding.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:22 AM
kasimmmmm

is it worth it? noticable difference?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Barzten1

Definately noticable difference going ss clutch line and Motul 600
Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Also remove the heat shield off the original and install it on your new SS line.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 AM
mac d

this is job is becoming my achilles heel.

i cannot get the piping disconnected from the old rubber clutch line. it will not come off. i have even tried using vice grips to turn it and it saint happening. my nut on the line is pretty worn and stripped now after using the clutch line wrench first then the vice. i am at my wit's end trying to take this crap off as it is the last thing i need to do for my JWT install and i can't get it done. any suggestions would be helpful

thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 12:08 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mac d
this is job is becoming my achilles heel.

i cannot get the piping disconnected from the old rubber clutch line. it will not come off. i have even tried using vice grips to turn it and it saint happening. my nut on the line is pretty worn and stripped now after using the clutch line wrench first then the vice. i am at my wit's end trying to take this crap off as it is the last thing i need to do for my JWT install and i can't get it done. any suggestions would be helpful

thanks
Mine was also stuck on there pretty tight. I had to use two sets of vice grips, one for the line to make sure i didn't rotate it (bad) the other for the fitting. Eventually it came loose.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
mac d

well the funny thing with that is when i tried to that because i dropped it out of the lock that the nut to the old line is in by taking the clip out it still wouldn't move. man it sucks as this is the only thing holding me back. i think a day or two of letting it sit and me sit not getting mad about it will help though as i will try to fix it this weekend. thanks for the advice though
Old 07-15-2008, 05:14 PM
cheshirecat79

well the funny thing with that is when i tried to that because i dropped it out of the lock that the nut to the old line is in by taking the clip out it still wouldn't move. man it sucks as this is the only thing holding me back. i think a day or two of letting it sit and me sit not getting mad about it will help though as i will try to fix it this weekend. thanks for the advice though
Try getting some lubricant and spraying it on there- let it penetrate so that hopefully the next day you'll be able to get that nut off of there. PB Blaster is good for this. Also, make sure you're turning it the right way since the nut is on the top.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Barzten1

We used pb blaster. Let it sit 5 minutes and came lose.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:48 PM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing wrong with adding a SS clutch line, but upgrading the fluid to a higher temp fluid like Motul is proably more beneficial. Then again nothing wrong with doing both.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:36 AM
mac d

thanks for the suggestions guys as i am going to try them today. i do have another two questions though.........will putting this line on help with the amount of pressure my piston gives my throw arm on the clutch?

i need about another 1/2 inch of throw because it is hard to get things in gear when my engine is on and i have already adjusted my clutch pedal height out as far as it can go.

also for some reason the engagement is very low to the floor of my Z, i know that since it is a new clutch the engagement point might be different but that is really low.......any thoughts there?

i think it is just when i bled the original clutch the first time some air was still trapped inside the line. but i am not sure. we will see

Last edited by mac d; 07-17-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 PM
cheshirecat79

Yes, your clutch will catch better. Just make sure you bleed all the air out once you change out the line and flush the fluid.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 PM
CSF

thanks for the suggestions guys as i am going to try them today. i do have another two questions though.........will putting this line on help with the amount of pressure my piston gives my throw arm on the clutch?

i need about another 1/2 inch of throw because it is hard to get things in gear when my engine is on and i have already adjusted my clutch pedal height out as far as it can go.

also for some reason the engagement is very low to the floor of my Z, i know that since it is a new clutch the engagement point might be different but that is really low.......any thoughts there?

i think it is just when i bled the original clutch the first time some air was still trapped inside the line. but i am not sure. we will see
you mentioned that it is a new clutch, but is it an oem clutch? i don't think low engagement is normal for the oem clutch
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
joedp2

At the risk of sounding like a moron, what is the benefit of a SS clutch line?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by joedp2
At the risk of sounding like a moron, what is the benefit of a SS clutch line?
A lot of Z's have issues with the clutch fluid overheating and losing it's ability to hold pressure due to a rubber horse with goofy heat shielding being part of the clutch line. As a result, the clutch will end up feeling "spongy" and may not spring back up when using it after the engine has gotten hot.

Replacing this rubber hose with a stainless steel hose and flushing out the bobo fluid for something better fixes this issue.

It looks like now that it's summer, this issue is more prevalent. It will die down as temperatures start to drop due to seasonal weather changes.

Quick Reply: ss clutch line